Gaigin - Echo

John W.

Dec 12, 2017, 11:05:50 AM12/12/17
I imagine this is forgotten lore, but today I spelled "gaijin" as "gaigin."

Not sure if folks remember that from days gone by....

John W.

Jim Breen

Dec 14, 2017, 3:32:00 PM12/14/17
On Wednesday, 13 December 2017 03:05:50 UTC+11, John W. wrote:
> I imagine this is forgotten lore, but today I spelled "gaijin" as "gaigin."
>
> Not sure if folks remember that from days gone by....

I remember the "gaigin" jokes. Certainly not only an
Australian thing.

Jim
(Blast fro the past)

Jim Breen

Dec 14, 2017, 3:33:35 PM12/14/17
PS. When this popped up I assumed it was from sci.lang.japan.
I'd almost forgotten fj.life.in-japan.

Jim

John W.

Dec 15, 2017, 11:30:57 AM12/15/17
I looked through the history of the forum and it dates back to the earliest days (1995). I figured it was a misspelling, and in the way of things it gained legs from a bunch of wiseguys. :)

John W.

Michael Cash

Feb 6, 2018, 12:53:34 AM2/6/18
I do wish this place hadn't died.....

Jim Breen

Feb 6, 2018, 5:47:21 AM2/6/18
On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 16:53:34 UTC+11, Michael Cash wrote:
> I do wish this place hadn't died.....

Moi aussi. When I stumbled across sci.lang.japan back in 1989 I didn't
realise my life had changed forever.

A lot of old SLJ regualrs moved to The Japanese Page, but it went and collapsed.

John W.

Feb 6, 2018, 11:59:18 AM2/6/18
On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 11:53:34 PM UTC-6, Michael Cash wrote:
> I do wish this place hadn't died.....

MIKE!!!! You're still alive! I used to go to your photography page religiously; kept me sane. But I think you moved to a different site, and I don't have the bookmark any more.

John W.

Band Beyond You

Feb 7, 2018, 10:45:29 AM2/7/18
Michael Cash <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do wish this place hadn't died.....

Echo that, gaigin-sama-tachi...

John W.

Feb 7, 2018, 4:34:06 PM2/7/18
I never felt smart enough for SLJ. Not that I was smart enough for FJLIJ. Or anything that isn't beer related, and then only a robust discussion on how to consume.

John W.

Band Beyond You

Feb 7, 2018, 11:48:10 PM2/7/18
I miss the Michael Cash offers to ride through Tokyo in his truck...

John W.

Feb 9, 2018, 9:22:38 AM2/9/18
Wait, he offered to give you a ride in his truck? You sure he wasn't talking some hentai stuff?

John W.

Wasabi

Feb 9, 2018, 12:26:32 PM2/9/18
I think it was from one of Michael's posts that I learned that men
outside Tokyo never use "watashi", just "ore" or "boku", but I couldn't
help wondering if maybe that was just truck drivers.

You've got to love a nation that has come up with at least six words for
"I" but then doesn't bother using any of them most of the time.

--
_____________________________________

Aquarians don't believe in astrology.
-- James R. F. Quirk
_____________________________________

Band Beyond You

Feb 9, 2018, 6:08:02 PM2/9/18
Not me personally...I don’t know who he snagged with that line. But
seriously, those were the days of fj.life.in-japan.

mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net

Mar 19, 2018, 8:19:59 PM3/19/18
Wasabi <blue.mo...@org.invalid> wrote:
> "John W." <worth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 10:48:10 PM UTC-6, Band Beyond You
> > wrote:

> >> I miss the Michael Cash offers to ride through Tokyo in his truck...
> >
> > Wait, he offered to give you a ride in his truck? You sure he wasn't
> > talking some hentai stuff?

> I think it was from one of Michael's posts that I learned that men
> outside Tokyo never use "watashi", just "ore" or "boku", but I couldn't
> help wondering if maybe that was just truck drivers.

Not that I could see; never heard a guy outside of Tokyo use "watashi".
One of my old buchou use 'watakushi' when he wanted to brow-beat someon.

> You've got to love a nation that has come up with at least six words for
> "I" but then doesn't bother using any of them most of the time.

Or "you"

Mike

Jim Breen

Mar 19, 2018, 9:22:56 PM3/19/18
On Tuesday, 20 March 2018 11:19:59 UTC+11, mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net wrote:

> One of my old buchou use 'watakushi' when he wanted to brow-beat someon.

The only time I ever heard 'watakushi' in Japan was at a Girl
Scouts ceremony, and they were reciting the Promise.

Jim

Gordon Freeman

Mar 22, 2018, 11:41:41 PM3/22/18
I bet most slj denizens use "washi" ;)

mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net

Apr 7, 2018, 11:00:39 PM4/7/18
It's a Tokyo-type thing; over-politeness in order to insult.

Mike