I can't use emacs's help system! Pls help me.

Jason

Nov 20, 2003, 4:29:55 AM11/20/03
I start my emacs(ver:21.3) now, but the help system is disabled! When I hit
C-h, it just delete a character like "backspace". I installed emacs at
/home/myname/emacs-21.3-installed, and manual pages were stored at
/home/myname/emacs-21.3-installed/man.How can I enable emacs's help system?
Thanks a lot!

Taka Fukuda

Nov 22, 2003, 6:01:15 AM11/22/03

Hi Jason

At Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:29:55 +0800,

I guess that your help system is not disabled, but maybe
you have changed the key binding of help-for-help
command. You can invoke help by typing

M-x help-for-help

If you like to do that by hitting C-h, find the lines like

(global-unset-key "\^h")
(global-set-key "\^h" 'delete-backward-char)

in your .emacs, and delete them both.

Best regards,

--
-- Taka Fukuda
-- fukuda at computer.org

Jason

Nov 23, 2003, 10:18:45 PM11/23/03
Thanks for your help! Taka Fukuda.
I'v resolved this problem under some friends' help.
I use a script file with some words such as "stty erase ^V;emacs;" to start
my emacs intead of "emacs". :) It's wonderful and emacs works well.

Thank you again! Taka Fukuda.

Jason

"Taka Fukuda" <fuk...@computer.org> ????

IIJIMA Hiromitsu

Nov 24, 2003, 11:33:56 PM11/24/03
> I guess that your help system is not disabled, but maybe
> you have changed the key binding of help-for-help
> command. You can invoke help by typing
>
> M-x help-for-help
>
> If you like to do that by hitting C-h, find the lines like
>
> (global-unset-key "\^h")
> (global-set-key "\^h" 'delete-backward-char)
>
> in your .emacs, and delete them both.

GNU Emacs 21, right. Then
(if (fboundp 'normal-erase-is-backspace-mode)
(normal-erase-is-backspace-mode 0)
)
will help.

(Mr.) IIJIMA Hiromitsu, mailto:delm...@ht.sakura.ne.jp
aka Delmonta http://www.ht.sakura.ne.jp/~delmonta/

manindream

Dec 1, 2003, 6:56:13 AM12/1/03
But if i can not find the .emacs file in my home directory on the
server, what can i do??

thanks !

Bijan Minaee

Mar 15, 2007, 11:03:29 AM3/15/07
Hi
This was just the right tip. It worked like a charm. Many thanks /Hiromitsu
Bijan

"IIJIMA Hiromitsu" <delm...@ht.sakura.ne.jp> wrote in message