hang-ups during Fixity audit?

Paul Dougherty

Oct 31, 2018, 2:55:24 PM10/31/18
to Fixity Users

Hi,

I had been running Fixity from one Mac where I would find that in audit would seem to hang up for mysterious reasons. I have no way of looking under the hood, but the scan would appear to be humming along (flashing directories in the Scanner Console) but would go on for days beyond any reasonable length of time.

I’m writing this post today because the same apparent hang up has now happened on the second Mac, I was doing a ‘speed test’ hoping this second Mac (new MacBook) would run the audit much faster than on my iMac. However even though there don’t appear to be any network connection issues* the faster MacBook had already run for about 36 hours and was still churning away… whereas the original scan on the same target folder performed on the iMac only took 8 hours.

*We are working on an isolated 10G network. In the case of the MacBook hangup, we were connected directly into the QNAP 1685 10G port. Speaking of QNAP, I am not happy with their Hybrid Backup Sync reports (made with multi-versioning on). So that makes the Fixity reports all that more valuable to monitor changes in the archive… if only I could rely on them. (Besides the above problem, the audits are slower than I expected but granted I have little experience here.)

While not exactly the same as a hangup, which would imply the audit will never end, I do have this example below were the first pass took 54 hours, and the next one took less than 5 hours (same Mac). There were 3 target folders adding up to 1.3TB. I haven’t gained enough expertise to know what the duration ratio should be between the first scan and subsequent audits. (see below)

So in summary I guess I am posing two questions or a question in a feature request. I wish there was a better mechanism for monitoring progress other than the directory flashing by during a scan. This flashing activity in the Scanner Console has proven missed leading in so far is it implies progress but the scan is either stuck or endless.

The other question is more prosaic and involves a duration of the first audit versus a follow-up audit on a directory that has not changed much, should the scan duration be approximately the same? That would appear not to be the case as per these two summaries of an audit on the same folder made from the same Macintosh.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Paul Dougherty

Video Archivist

International Rescue Committee

Fixity report

Project name Fixity_exp_ext_camp

Algorithm used sha256

Date 2018-08-27

Time Elapsed 54 hrs 8 min 47 seconds

Total Files 7885

Confirmed Files 0

Moved or Renamed Files 0

New Files 7885

Changed Files 0

Removed Files 0

Fixity report

Project name Fixity_exp_ext_camp

Algorithm used sha256

Date 2018-09-01

Time Elapsed 4 hrs 53 min 40 seconds

Total Files 7885

Confirmed Files 7540

Moved or Renamed Files 0

New Files 345

Changed Files 0

Removed Files 0

Jamie Patrick-Burns

Dec 9, 2019, 11:19:29 AM12/9/19
to Fixity Users
Hi all,

Unfortunately I don't have an answer to this question, but I've been running into hang ups too and wonder if anyone else has? I browsed in the posts on this list and see that a few people have run into issues. I have been running a project for four days and there are file paths flashing across the console screen, but from what I can tell they are on a loop in the same directory - though it's hard to tell for sure. A progress bar or some indication of a hang up would be helpful. The project is 32 GB, 93,891 files so large - but I would have hoped it would complete sooner. I'm hesitant to cancel the job in hopes that it will complete, but I'm doubtful. Thank you for any suggestions or input. If nothing else, this is a request to the developers for better progress metrics and a warning that it chokes up on large projects. The thing is I was able to run it successfully before on the same project for the initial scan, so it should be able to handle it. There were a lot of changes so maybe that's why.

Jamie

Paul

Dec 9, 2019, 4:43:20 PM12/9/19
to Fixity Users
Hi, since Fixity is not a commercial product, so not truly in competition... I'll mention a new product I have not tested that proports to do the same thing or close https://www.imagineproducts.com/product/truecheck

from their site...

This dynamic multi-tool is perfect for analyzing, comparing and managing files. TrueCheck helps organize and preserve the integrity of the most valuable part of your business, specializing in verification activities beyond copying.

Bertram Lyons

Dec 30, 2019, 1:55:32 PM12/30/19
to Fixity Users
Hi Paul, and Jamie --

Thanks for the feedback on the new version of Fixity (1.0). We have been hearing similar feedback from a few other users and we have been testing and experiencing these issues ourselves. We will be working on addressing this as soon as possible.
Are you running Fixity on a Mac or Windows OS?  It may be useful for us to see some of the logs. Would you be willing to share those with us? If so, you can contact us directly at fix...@weareavp.com.

Thanks, and with all best regards --

Bert