Estimate time for scanning 318 GB folder?

Rebecca Russell

Mar 26, 2018, 12:13:40 PM3/26/18
to Fixity Users
Hello,

I am a new Fixity user and we are testing the software on some of our larger folders. We tested a small folder and that was successful, but have encountered an issue with our next test: 318 GB. We think we have set up the schedule correctly, and it appears to "start" but after 2 days no report was created. Any suggestions? Is 300+ GB too large?

Thanks!
Rebecca Russell
Rice University

Pamela Vizner

Mar 26, 2018, 2:34:59 PM3/26/18
to Fixity Users
Hi Rebecca,

I would suggest performing a series of tests incrementing the size every time. This would give you an idea of how much time it would take as files/folders get larger. Another approach could be to create multiple projects and distribute your files and folders in them. This would better distribute your computer's processing resources so you don't have to wait. Let me know how that goes and if the issues remain. If you still have problems please let me know.

Best,
Pamela

Rebecca Russell

Mar 27, 2018, 2:01:23 PM3/27/18
to Fixity Users
Hi Pamela,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying with incremental size increases and see if that helps the time frame.

Best,
Rebecca

Rebecca Russell

Apr 4, 2018, 1:53:53 PM4/4/18
to Fixity Users
Incremental scans worked up until the 318 GB folder I referenced in my earlier post. The largest folder I was able to scan was 275 GB. I'm now wondering if there's an issue with the folder contents? File names? Java version?