More from the March 24th Toronto Branch Meeting

John

Apr 3, 2024, 4:44:26 PMApr 3
to Fixing The Global Economy Through World Federalism
Further from Peter Venton

John Cowan

Apr 3, 2024, 5:33:38 PMApr 3
to Fixing The Global Economy Through World Federalism
Seems relevant to Global direction and possibility or challenges to Global democracy - a Pew Global research report from Feb 28th

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2024/02/28/who-likes-authoritarianism-and-how-do-they-want-to-change-their-government/

Additionally, on Capital(ism) and the growing polarisation:

According to Forbes the US is home to 813 billionaires — the most in the world, followed by China with 473, and India with 200.

https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/

John

Apr 5, 2024, 1:46:42 PMApr 5
to Lester de Souza, Fixing The Global Economy Through World Federalism
Lester,

Thank you for your thoughts. I agree there is an over-concentration of wealth in the hands of a few. That is a fundamental equity problem that needs some sort of global agreement about tax regimes before we can solve it. Simple SDGs won't cut it. How do you think we could get a global tax agreement that is enforceable?

Regarding the Pew research on authoritarianism, I don't think I saw analysis of the obvious. People in countries with a history of authoritarianism appear to be the ones most favourable to such. Maybe that's because they survived it, or maybe they are oppressed by the western wealthy democracies so less inclined to favour democracy? Anyway, you say below it is relevant, so what do you think World Federalists should be doing in light of this research?

John Cowan