FIX I-70

pdri...@comcast.net

Mar 13, 2008, 2:16:56 PM3/13/08
to fixI...@googlegroups.com
After reading all of the post on the Fix I-70 Now forum's, it seems that the only logical idea in this situation would be to create two extra reversible lanes in the middle of this busy and challenging freeway. Now being from California, I have seen the worst of the worst kind of traffic, especially going up to the Sierras on busy I-80. The difference between 80 in the Sierra's and 70 in the Rockies is that 70 has tunnels, and I-80 through Northern CA does not have any tunnels. The tunnels seem to play a major factor in slowing down traffic. Even though the traffic on I-80 might be bad, it does not as jammed up at I-70. The other alternative I can see to this would be creating a third tunnel bore in the Idaho Springs Tunnels along with two extra lanes that can be used to reverse traffic. Use the middle tunnel for the reversible flow. Being from the Bay Area, I have seen this play in action and works very well, on busy Highway 24 from the Walnut Creek area into Oakland. I kn
ow that building a third bore of a tunnel would cost a lot more than CDOT or whoever would be paying for this wants to dish out, but I think the long run should be kept in mind as well. CDOT also has other issues regarding all the major freeways in the Denver area that are in dire needs of expansion and upgrades (HWY 36, I-225, C-470, I-25 N beyond Westminster). More and more people will be coming and moving into this state which means more traffic in Denver and the rest of the state. Hope this may help a little bit thanks for listening!

-Patrick Riehle