Discussion on traffic-demand-management

kento...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2008, 10:58:45 AM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I currently live on the front range, but my family has lived in Vail
since 1968. We have seen a lot of changes along the I-70 corridor.
We are all too familiar with the problems on I-70 and we are heavily
impacted with traffic flow, or lack of flow.

Traffic Demand Management is a good idea, economical, and proven. I
have visited Santiago, Chile(pop.8million), and skied a number of the
ski resorts.

In order to handle the skier traffic on the mountain roads, traffic is
only allowed to go in one direction during peak demand hours. Once we
were familiar with the system, we planned around it, and it worked
perfectly.

All lanes are opened going into the mountains in the morning. Traffic
flows in both directions for most of the day, but then all lanes are
opened going back towards the city in the late afternoon. Traffic
flows in both directions for the rest of the night.

Advance information signs can be installed on I-70 to the Kansas
border, and on the west side beginning in Grand Junction. This will
give travellers the option to re-route or to get involved in an
activity while they wait. Exits can be controlled with gates and
signs can be appropriately posted.

A massive construction project is avoided, and very little tax dollars
are spent.

This solution can have immediate impact, and alleviate the problem
now!

BBBo...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2008, 11:47:03 AM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
The billions needed to totally rebuild I70 will never materialize.
The only solution is to institute a toll based on projected traffic,
and use that revenue to fund minor improvements to the highway, and
bus service to Summit/Eagle county, with a train shuttle from Highway
93 or Rollinsville to Winter Park via the Moffat Tunnel.

Even if the highway was widened to three lanes, the cost of building
another tunnel nixes any idea of ever doing that, so there would be a
permanent bottleneck at the tunnel anyway.

mar...@beer.com

Feb 22, 2008, 12:19:57 PM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I think a possible way to alleviate traffic on I70 is to not allow
trucks during peak hours. I know that this may not be favorable with
trucking companies but it may also prevent accidents with their
vehicles.
Example would be no West bound trucks between the hours of 6am - 10am
and no East bound truckers between 2pm and 6pm. The rules should cover
from the Morrison exit to the Avon exit. Maybe the exclusions could be
enacted on weekends for now and see how it works.
I understand in California that trucks are not allowed over the Sierra
mountain passes during snow storms, maybe we could look at something
like that also?
I live in Silverthorne and will not drive I70 during these hours but
it is important to get skiers up here safely.
Thanks for the consideration.

kyleh...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2008, 11:24:45 AM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I think a limitation on semi trucks during peak periods (6am to 9am,
2pm to 6pm, weekends only) would go a long ways. Not sure how
plausible this is, but it would be better for the ski traffic (which
would move more quickly without the semi-truck obstacles), and better
for the truckers (because they're not sitting in the ski traffic).

et...@hotmail.com

Feb 22, 2008, 12:41:09 PM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Even with agressive travel demand management initiatives and peak
spreading, DOT estimates have mid-day/ mid-week traffic looking just
like Friday evening and Sunday evening within the next 15-20 years.
TDM is a band-aid tool that should be used to minimize impact for the
next 15 years while high speed transit is built.

shannon...@yahoo.com

Feb 23, 2008, 12:48:58 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
As already mentioned, serious consideration should be given to
limiting semi-truck traffic on I-70 during peak periods. In Germany
they ban ALL trucks on the autobahns over the weekends due to high
traffic volume (Germany has over 80 milllion people in an area a
little larger than Colorado), so the benefits and costs of such a plan
must have surely been studied already (trucks are not banned on the
weekends in Belgium or Holland as basis for comparison). Hopefully
there is a way to look into this further. Living on the I-70 corridor
I can guarantee that the majority of the time there is a traffic slow
down during high-volume periods there is a truck or other slow moving
vehicle (large camper-trailer, etc) at the front of the problem.

53x11

Feb 23, 2008, 8:53:29 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I-70 is a major US transportation corridor. So the thought of limiting
or prohibiting truck traffic during peak traffic hours is out of the
question.

Tolls during weekend travel? First, toll lanes would create a greater
I-70 traffic jam than present. Second, weekend tolls would eventually
turn into a 24/7 concept after lawmakers realize how much revenue
tolls generate. Look at the NY State Hwy system. Former Gov Como made
a campaign promise of eliminating NY State tolls....well, they are
still there and the tolls have increased dramatically since we left
office. Tolls are just too good of a thing for state lawmakers trying
to balance the budget.

A good solution would be mass transit. The idea of a elevated rail
system from Denver/Golden to Vail may hit the state pocket books hard
at first, but the long term solution outweighs the short term
pollution.

Dejan

stephen...@hotmail.com

Feb 23, 2008, 8:31:46 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Cdot could charge 18-wheel trucks an extra toll during peak hours to
travel from c-470 & I-70 to Glenwood Springs. The toll would need to
be high enough to make the trucking companies prefer to re-route to
I-80 unless thier destination was within the toll corridor. Trucks
could travel the I-70 mountain corridor without an extra toll during
non-peak hours and days.

wree...@aol.com

Feb 23, 2008, 10:37:57 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
We should follow the lead of Europe. When I have been there, trucks
must stop WHERE THEY ARE at 6:00PM on Friday and not move until
6:00PM on Sunday. Those truckers know the laws and plan accordingly.
Also, our State Patrol DOES NOT ENFORCE

skiwe...@msn.com

Feb 23, 2008, 11:12:37 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Contraflow-Shut down opposing direction of traffic for 2 hours in the
morning, and again for 2 hours in the afternoon to utilize those near
empty lanes. The remaining traffic could use the frontage road or
wait. Not a permanent solution, but seems stupid to have all those
empty lanes on one side, and the other side at a standstill.

WebBiographies

Feb 23, 2008, 4:54:35 PM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Agree 100%! Let's follow the example of Europe and ban commercial rigs
on weekends all year around on I-70. There are other routes for them
to move their goods.

han...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2008, 7:56:37 PM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I agree; banning truck traffic during peak hours, especially
Westbound, would be a huge help. As far as Eastbound traffic in the
afternoon, am I the only one who has ever noticed that the Idaho
Springs tunnel is the biggest bottleneck on I-70 Eastbound? Once you
get past the tunnel, traffic picks up speed to almost normal speeds.
How about start by blowing the tunnels away and widening I-70 to three
lanes between the east side of Idaho Springs and the bottom of Floyd
Hill?

wree...@aol.com

Feb 23, 2008, 10:42:44 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Keep trucks off the mountain Interstate 70 from 6:00PM Friday through
6:00PM Sunday as they do in Europe. Also, MAKE the State Patrol
enforce speed limits, single lane useage, and following distances for
those truckers. I have been tail gated so close all I could see was
the grill of an 18 wheeler coming down Vail Pass. I had no where to
go because of traffic but that didn't matter to the trucker who only
wanted to run 75 - 85 mph down hill. Our State Patrol only enforces
the laws against automobiles, although I expect a denial of this from
them. Just ask yourself how many trucks have you seen stopped by a
trooper on I 70 versus the number of automobiles.

groo...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2008, 11:04:44 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Spend the billions that you would like to on proper signage and
enforcement. Keep those slow vehicles out of the left lane, that is
what clogs up the traffic. And that is how simple it can be. But if if
you want to make it as difficult as possible (which is what is usually
done) then spend your billions on it.

mcast...@aol.com

Feb 23, 2008, 1:04:18 PM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Several weeks ago it took me 46 minutes to travel 6 miles starting at
Floyd Hill, and and extra hour total to Hwy 40--there were no
accidents, and we had dry roads and clear skies. This is
unacceptable!

There is no argument that a long term solution will be expensive.
Until one is agreed upon, here's a short term solution that should be
relatively inexpensive. I was in Panama City, Panama last month, and
saw this work during their rush hour. Instead of making I-70 one way
in all lanes during peak demand as proposed, borrow one lane from the
opposite direction traffic using simply signs and traffic cones. The
extra lane would be for thru traffic only--i.e. Floyd Hill to Dillon
or Frisco. Winter Park traffic would have to stay on the normal side
of the road.

I saw this work in the Republic of Panama, and believe it can work
here! This, combined with limiting large trucks during peak periods,
should ease the problem until a permanent solution can be started.

A usable interstate highway to ski country is long overdue, and will
be Gov Ritter's legacy, the way T-Rex was for Gov Owens.

cth...@cherrycreekschools.org

Feb 23, 2008, 7:22:11 PM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I'm pleased to see the number of people advocating either a limitation
on trucks during peak hours or a "one way" direction plan. We need an
immediate fix and other options will take years. I understand that
shipping companies won't be pleased with the limitation idea, but what
if we offered them a discount/exemption from the highway taxes for
their trouble?

mark

Feb 24, 2008, 2:05:54 PM2/24/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Suggest a limitation on trucks access to I70 during the peak hours on
holiday and weekends. This seems to work well on the German Autobahn
where trucks are not allowed on Sundays at all (and some holidays and
weekends from memory). Not a long-term solution but an easy way to get
some more life out of the current 2 lane I70.

akau...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2008, 12:15:48 AM2/24/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I agree, banning trucks during peak hours would help with the traffic.
The majority of the slow downs occur when trucks pass other trucks
(even though they shouldn't) or when slower traffic tries to pass the
trucks...

metered ramps

Feb 23, 2008, 11:58:29 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Put traffic light meters on all rams from Denver to Grand Junction for
use during peak periods. Along with no truck and commercial traffic
during peak periods would ease congestion and very cost effective

schs....@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2008, 9:51:51 AM2/25/08
to Fix I-70 Now

schs....@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2008, 9:52:29 AM2/25/08
to Fix I-70 Now

chrism...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2008, 4:29:05 PM2/25/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I agree, either ban the trucks, or hit them with the heavy tolls.
Also, not a solution, but it might help to bring the signs that warn
of heavy traffic/delays into the towns before the getting onto I-70
(in silverthorn, frisco), so that we know whether the traffic is going
to be heavy before it. This might take some people off the road if
they know they would be as well waiting around a while longer in the
evening. I'd be happier sitting in a restaraunt or coffee shop than
spending the time sitting stationary in my car.

eggd...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2008, 9:25:12 AM2/26/08
to Fix I-70 Now
How about ENFORCING THE CHAIN LAWS! I can go over the passes every
snowstorm and there is always a truck with no chains, blocking the
lanes. Most of the truckers have chains, but it just takes one to
block the highway. ENFORCE the law and this will help

Ben

Feb 26, 2008, 1:05:59 PM2/26/08
to Fix I-70 Now
The main reason I-70 is congested at peak times is that Trucks share
that road with the commuters. Trucks are slower and more dangerous.
Trucks need to go through a toll gate or be banned during peak times.
I-70 congestion costs Colorado nearly $1000 Million per year in lost
revenue. Taking these trucks out of the corridor for the peak hours
will not amount to that much in lost commercial revenue. It is so
frustrating seeing a truck stopped dead from not having the chains on.
The drivers don't care as they don't speak English or care about the
Chain Law. They need to be fined heavily.

Rickster

Feb 27, 2008, 5:57:19 PM2/27/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I don't know about the long term solution to the weekend mountain ski
traffic problem, but I have a suggestion that is a cheap, quick
solution (but not easy) to the excessive weekend ski traffic - cut the
volume of traffic practically in half. How so you may ask? Let's reuse
something that worked for the USA back in the 70 ies when we had a gas
shortage with long lines at the gas stations. The government told us
we could fill up on certain days that corresponded to the last digit
of our auto license. What I am suggesting is this: people going up
I-70 for skiing could only drive their cars on weekends that
correspond to the last digit of their auto license. People who took
their cars on the wrong weekends and have ski/snowboards would be
fined. This concept would do two things: encourage people to plan
their ski trips on weekends relative to their license plate numbers
and encourage people to car pool with people who have license plate
numbers that correspond to the weekend that they want to ski. Is it an
inconvenience? Absolutely! Will it reduce traffic? Absolutely! Have
any better ideas?

wa...@elkrun21.com

Feb 28, 2008, 11:31:19 AM2/28/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Eliminate big trucks from westbound I-70 on weekend mornings, and
eastbound I-70 on weekend evenings. I am certain that these big
trucks are as much a problem with the traffic as is the sheer volume
of traffic, particularly on steep grades where the trucks crawl up a
hill causing everyone else to have to merge over and esssentially
eliminate one of the (few) lanes that are available for use. I do not
know all the ins and outs of restricting vehicle types on a federally
funded highway, but again I would encourage the legislators to focus
their energy on the truck ban versus the proposal of tolls/rewards for
individual skier cars that are time-based (too difficult to enforce;
too easy to 'game' the system) - at least until we get a more
permanent solution like high-speed mass transportation in the next
10-20 years.

itlhen...@qwestoffice.net

Mar 11, 2008, 3:16:03 PM3/11/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Disagree 100% - Apparently no thought has been given as to why the
trucks are up there. They are not moving their goods, they are moving
their customers' goods, which are ordered by the suppliers to be
delivered to the mountain towns on the weekends because there is an
increased demand for those goods on the weekends. My company delivers
gasoline to stations in mountain towns and jet fuel to the mountain
airports. The demand for those goods is increased on the weekends due
to heavier traffic from the skiers in the wintertime, and from the
tourists in the summertime. Believe me, no one would be more pleased
than the truck drivers if they did not have to go over those mountain
passes on the weekends. However, we are in a service based industry;
which means that we have to supply our customers when they want it,
not at our convenience. Remember that the truckers are working up
there, doing their jobs, not taking part in a liesure activity. The
gasoline stations up there cannot stock enough fuel to supply the
demand to get them through the entire weekend, and the food
industries, ie: restaurants, grocery stores, etc., cannot stock enough
to survive the weekend either. If you stop the supply of things like
food and fuel to the mountain towns, you will totally destroy tourism
in Colorado, which is our number 1 industry.

Maybe you would like to see extra lanes created on I-70 for trucks
only, seperating them from the cars entirely. The trucking industry
would love to see it also. Yeah, "those damn trucks", "they should be
banned from the highways", "what are they doing there anyway, causing
me to go slower" - we have heard it all many times before. They are
there working to deliver the goods that you or your vehicle will most
likely consume while you are on your weekend off participating in
liesure activities.

motown134

Mar 10, 2008, 5:18:40 PM3/10/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I find it interesting that there is so much discussion as to banning
trucks on the weekend. Truck drivers already try to avoid the weekend
hours. From what I understand they make up less than 2% of the traffic
during those peak hours on the weekend. These folks merely are trying
to deliver the goods that you and I need for our every day lives.
Unlike most of the traffic, which is traveling for recreation, these
truck drivers are conducting business. Rather than focusing on the
trucks, we should be looking at doing something with the ever
increasing traffic associated with skiing. Blaming the truckers for
the I-70 problem is misguided and will have a negative effect on our
economy.

savoy.ki...@level3.com

Mar 12, 2008, 6:54:18 PM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I would like to see a restriction on the hours of use for Big rigs and
busses and other slower vehicles such as truck carrying large
trailers. Such has not allowing vehicles like this between the hours
of 6am and 8am then again from 3pm to 6pm.

jonhan...@yahoo.com

Mar 13, 2008, 11:39:34 AM3/13/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Truckers may make up a small % of the traffic on weekends at peak
times, but they make up a huge % of the traffic jams. Los Angeles
successfully banned big rigs during peak rush hours. This would do
the most to help traffic with the least impact on the least people.

nikk...@yahoo.com

Mar 12, 2008, 1:42:17 PM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Are you forgetting that I70 is a major interstate route for truckers.
The trucks you see on the road are not just delivering to the
mountains. Banning that traffic would not cure the problem. In fact,
you would force the truckers to find another route which would take
the money they spend on fuel, food, drink away from the local
merchants in this corridor. The only time the truckers become a
problem

lag

Mar 17, 2008, 12:49:20 PM3/17/08
to Fix I-70 Now
There are many problems with the thoughts of limiting or tolling truck
traffic.
As we all know I70 is a major artery across this country and truck
traffic brings alot of revenue to the State of Colorado. Many truck
companies have left the State of Colorado due it already high fees to
operate in this state. Limiting or restricting truck traffic would
only push trucks up to Wyoming or New Mexico highways and billions of
dollars would be lost to the other States. Not to mention the higher
costs of everything that person touches everyday because of the added
fuel and expense by having to travel out of route.
Colorado State Patrol already has issues with having enough
enforcement on the road now, exactly where are the monies going to
come from to increase the force? And where are the people going to
come from to fill the positions needed?
With the shortage of drivers and the fuel prices increasing every
second, many trucking companies are struggling to stay in business
another day.
It is obvious there is much more research that needs to be done before
we just jump in.

leeand...@msn.com

Mar 13, 2008, 10:32:00 PM3/13/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I dont think the trucks are the the problem, UNTILL the weather gets
bad, when the roads are snow packed and or Loveland pass is closed
then they become a huge problem.
The HAZMAT TRUCKS should be forced to sit and wait during times of
peak east or west bound traffic, they have huge holding lots on both
sides of the tunnel and they could hold the hazmat rigs (when loveland
pass is closed) untill trafic dies down or the holding lots are full.
I think its ludicriss to stop THOUSANDS of cars every hour to let a
handfull of hazmat rigs though the tunnel, it can take a half hour for
traffic to recover from the stopage, not to mention the accidents
caused by the sudden stopage.
Then there is the issue of chaining up, they raised the fines and
increased the chain up areas but the truckers still dont get it some
are still not chaining up untill they get stuck, chaining up is a lot
of work I know I've done plenty of it, they make automatic tire chains
they dont add that much to cost of a truck or buss and you dont have
to stop and get out or anything you just flip a switch and keep right
on trucki'n they should be required on all new truck sold in Coloardo,
many fire trucks and most school busses have them.