Discussion on i-hate-all-of-these-ideas-want-to-hit-senator-romer-over-the-head-with-a-ski-pole

1 view

gvander...@yahoo.com

Feb 22, 2008, 9:27:22 AM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Having an alternate route around the congestion would help greatly.
Highway 285 parallels I-70 from about Indian Hills to Grant, all from
a great distance though. At Grant though, Highway 285 heads directly
towards Frisco. If it were possible to build a road from Grant on
Highway 285 to Frisco on I-70, then an alternative route would be
available for traffic.

Also, a tunnel under Mosquito Pass between Leadville and Fairplay
would be quite expensive, but it too would provide an alternate road.

bstahl...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2008, 10:12:30 AM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
We certainly need something to ease the traffic. Charging $12 will
not fix this issue. Whats $12 when a cheap day of skiing is over $100
per person. If this charge would help pay for a massive highway
expansion project or a high-speed rail system which would be less eye-
soreish-this 20+ day skier would settle. However with as much money
as we bring in to our state from tourists, we should be able to fund a
rail project that could expand Denver's tourism as well.

mindt...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2008, 9:42:07 AM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
While I may not agree with some of Chris' ideas, I applaud him in
pushing the idea of fixing the traffic problem on I-70. Denver has
always been horrible in being proactive in regards to traffic and
highway systems. We do things 20 years too late. Let's fix the I-70
problem now before it gets so bad that commercial traffic diverts
around Colorado because of it, losing millions of dollars in revenue
for Colorado.

maur...@yahoo.com

Feb 22, 2008, 11:41:12 AM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I don't care for these ideas at all. However, I am curious, should
this bill be implemented, if locals to the ski resort towns are going
to be fined as well if they happen to be traveling between Denver and
home and get caught in ski traffic. When you live in the mountains,
you travel to and from Denver rather frequently to use the luxuries of
the city (doctors, clothing stores, Sam's Club, etc.) and the times at
which you travel rely heavily on the schedules of your intentions in
Denver. Often those times overlap with ski traffic. Would you really
consider charging someone for driving to the doctors during rush
hour?

And we pay for the maintenance and opportunity to use these highways
anyway through tax dollars. We should NOT have to pay when we
actually chose (or have to) use them.

et...@hotmail.com

Feb 22, 2008, 12:37:04 PM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Rather than trying to make a name for yourself politically by coming
up with a 'quick fix' to a complex problem, why not use your pull to
support, fund, and speed up the efforts that are ongoing? This should
be about Colorado and solutions rather than your ego. Real politicians
work for the right solution, and not just the quick or cheap
solution.

et...@hotmail.com

Feb 22, 2008, 12:38:07 PM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Try getting educated on issues BEFORE opening your mouth. It will be
harder to stick your foot in so far.

sdi...@comcast.net

Feb 22, 2008, 12:12:48 PM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I would like to know why you don't relieve traffic from north of
Denver by creating a highway through Nederland and then improve on
Moffat Tunnel so that we can get to Granby, the Winter Park area,
Steamboat Springs, a shortcut to Utah, etc. You've got roads in the
area, a tunnel, why don't you just improve on them and relieve a
percentage of the traffic on I-70? My husband and family have been
asking this of each other for years. Thanks for the forum to finally
ask the question to someone who might know the answer.

leigha...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2008, 4:29:32 PM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I can barely, as a life long Colorado resident, afford to go skiing as
it is. Lift tickets are expensive, parking at the resorts is
expensive, gas is expensive...I think it is an AWFUL idea to charge
people to drive up during "peak" times when that IS the best time to
get up there to get your money's worth. Why does the government have
to control that anyway?? Is it just another way to make some money?
Sure people complain about traffic but at least it's free traffic. It
would be worse to sit in traffic that you paid for!! If people don't
want to deal with it then they'll choose on their own accord different
times to go, not because of an impending fee. GRRRR...

ddi...@comcast.net

Feb 22, 2008, 4:54:23 PM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
We need a highway and tunnel from Boulder to WinterPark, Tabernash,
Granby, Steamboat Springs, etc. This would allow all of the Northern
Front Range traffic to avoid using I-70 to get to the destinations I
mentioned above. This would save alot of fuel and miles and most of
all relieve I-70 congestion. The Moffit tunnel has been in use for
years and works great for a shortcut through the mountains.

skies...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2008, 11:31:11 PM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I think that the best thing would be to have a light rail train that
goes up I-70.

You could also have an HOV lane that on those "peak" times has a
charge or is free for cars with 3 or more people.

Feb 23, 2008, 12:38:54 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I have no Idea what to do, that is a question for the experts. What I
do know is I don't ski. What I do every other weekend is go on friday
to pick up my daughter in Granby and return her on Sunday. I live in
loveland and it already costs me $100 in extra gas every month to pick
her up (Well worth it), but if I will be required to pay a toll in
addition to that, I will go balistic!

schl...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2008, 12:52:40 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Hmmmm, it would be nice if you could provide some constructive issues
to this idea. What would you, as an I-70 commuter, propose to change
the situation as it is? I myself use I-70 to travel to all the
various ski areas and know the traffic problems. I am not as
knowledgeable as other residents and would love to utilize their
experiences to create a situation that might actually help this
situation.

On Feb 22, 10:38 am, et...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Try getting educated on issues BEFORE opening your mouth. It will be
> harder o stick your foot in so far.

scott....@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2008, 7:53:55 PM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
The fundamental issues is that people who oppose Romer's proposal do
not understand economics. Specific charges during peak times totally
changed traffic in London for the better. Traffic there was basically
futile gridlock before they started upcharging during certain times of
the day.

The fee gives people the choice . . is their time worth more than
their money? Right now everyone has to err on the side of time. Well
guess what, my time is worth a hell of a lot more than yours, so much
that I am willing to pay you to encourage you to stay home and stay
off I-70 when I want to use it. My guess is that you will happily
accept this proposal once you see green.

CJT...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2008, 11:28:00 PM2/22/08
to Fix I-70 Now
There is no I-70 problem. If you don't like traffic, "get the hell
outta bed!" Hit the interstate at 6:00 am when there is no traffic.
Lack of traffic should be its own incentive. I think the real problem
is that YOU don't want to sit in traffic and YOU don't want to get up
early. Well, YOU can't have it both ways. YOU can't just tax others
so you'll have free reign. In major cities the world over people that
REALLY don't like traffic, don't drive when there is traffic. They go
to work early and go home early, or late. I did it in San Francisco,
I did it in Los Angeles, I did it in Houston, I do it in Denver. I
found a friend and we haul tail up the HOV. If you don't want to get
up early and you don't like traffic, ski on Wednesday! Tuesday!
Thursday! Split the work week up. Take your vacation days to ski
with no traffic and no lift lines. WHY IS SATURDAY SOMEHOW SACRED?
Traffic is lighter on Sunday. (except the drive home of course) SO
STAY THE NIGHT! Drive home Monday. The ski resorts will love you.
That's where they make the real money anyway. Real Estate. Options,
Options, Options.

schl...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2008, 12:49:28 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I think it's great that you are putting forth positive ideas rather
than negative feedback. I'm not terribly familiar with alternative
routes (having traveled mainly on I-70 for all the years I have gone
skiing) so I am definitely open to new ideas. We need to all be open
to these different travel ideas, with the knowledge that any new roads
or changes will cost us in some way or another.

jtn

Feb 23, 2008, 2:14:52 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
How do local residence who have to travel to Denver for meetings and
to testify before the legislation get back to their homes if you are
charging money? These people should not be charged. This is an
outrageous idea. The towns and ski resorts that benefit should help
pick up the bill for the fix. Lack of planning has created this
situation.

arlene303

Feb 23, 2008, 9:21:16 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Get WinterPark Steamboat traffic off I-70 by opening up Nederland via
Boulder.
Share Moffet tunnel with train and car traffic by scheduling.
And/or dig an additional tunnel. Ask the Austrians how to build
tunnels and roads - they are experts. Then don't faint at the price.
Think twice about offering a stupid measly $800 tax refund check to
people when it can go to work for infrastructure, and when we all know
this tax refund is just a BANDAID for bad economics that our present
administration could have avoided plain and clear.
Expect to pay like Bostonians did with their tunnels - at least rats
probably won't get displaced. However, be prepared to offer a long
explanation about why the governing politicians did not start
preparing with forethought 60 years ago. Yes, that's what politicians
are supposed to do. And yes, we all know reconstruction is 5x as
expensive as new construction, so be prepared for tax payers to accuse
politicians of lining construction buddies' pockets with tons of fraud
waste and abuse money - 5x worth. And then you will state that poor
planning dictates you need to spend the money. But because this always
happens, in my book poor planning is fraud waste and abuse.

Or, how about running busses from the I-70 C-470 parkNrides? None of
this $25/ride small business baloney to get your buddy in a nice small
business, but a sincere $5/ride public effort to get cars off I-70?
Have it either go direct or drop off in Silverton, where local busses
splinter to A-basin, Breck, Keystone, Copper, Vail. Yes, make the
seats recline so people can sleep. Busses work, despite what Motor
City dictates by "showing" you: recall Detroit (GM) bought the LA bus
system, PURPOSELY didn't repair them and slowed down the schedule (ie
instead of every 10 minutes, to every 20 minutes), the newspapers were
quickly splashed with how terrible busses are, just in time for when
car production was skyrocketing and LA real estate developers were
touting how easy it was to live in the suburbs - if you own a car.
Detroit did this with other cities too. Do not believe Detroit, BUSSES
WORK.

PS - and what is with FREX not running CSprings to Denver on
Saturdays? Come on people! You are already pulling a "Detroit" by not
offering it on Saturdays and thereby shooting FREX in the foot when it
is so new! But then, Colorado is a lot like Detroit, isn't it?
Colorado is certainly showing its true colors. Are Coloradans willing
to let the cloud and soot of CO2 color their banner? Arlene Kufchock

marty...@comcast.net

Feb 23, 2008, 12:18:54 PM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Do you think offering a very unpopular solution to a bad situation is
making a name for himself. Get a grip, he's putting his career on the
line for an issue that nobody else is willing to address. A toll is
the beginning of a solution, and is about Colorado be responsible for
their own future. Quick, Cheap? Neither, but it has to start
somewhere and the answer, no matter what it is, won't make you
happy.

seanfitz

Feb 23, 2008, 12:32:37 PM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Come on people lets be real for a second... obviously none of you have
sat in traffic for sometimes 6 hours or more enough times on I70 to
realize any solution is needed as quick as possible. I would gladly
pay $12 to not have to sit in the traffic before the tunnel on my way
home, last season I kept a tally and it took me 6 hours or more to get
home on 12 seperate occasions (that is more than 72hrs wasted!). Dont
be cheap!!! If you really go enough you can make a contribution
financially to improve the highways on toll roads the money goes to
improvments which can mean more lanes, heated highways, improved
regulations, possible railways etc. The money has to come form
somewhere! Get real!!, if you are going to participate in snow sports
it costs alot of money! lift tickets are expensive due to snowmaking,
running lifts and of course getting some profit on the side they are
not non-profit organizations and they are not affiliated with the
state of Colorado. Companies that make the equipment for the sports
are not affiliated with the state, we are residents who participate in
activities which are very popular and the roads cant pay for
themselves..... step up!!!! lets think of a realistic solution that
can fix this problem rather than calling people names over a measly
$12.

russd...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2008, 9:17:43 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Thank you for having a suggestion, even if people aren't crazy about
it. I love this state and I love skiing in it, butthe taffic has
gotten so bad that I hardly consider it any more. Something needs to
be done, and while I disagree that a toll doe all drivers is not the
right answer, it's not the worst suggestion in the world.

How about starting with more mass transit options? I'm an eco pass
guy, and the service to Denver is great. I think frequent service from
I-70@Morrison to Summit county would be awsome, and I'd certainly
trade $$ for gas in for bus fare.

How about doing what we did on I-25 Create an HOV/TOLL express lane in
the center that is enforced on the weekends. Pay to use it, or have
the option of not.

Clearly, building a new highway via an alternative route is not cheap
or even thinkable in my opinion. I don't want more pavement in our
beautiful rocky mountains, but I'm certainly willing to see us spend
money to increase the number of lanes on I-70 as an on-going project.

Thank you for your efforts and starting this dialog. I wish us all
good luck in finding an answer that is good forthe tax payer, the
economy, and the environment!

marty...@comcast.net

Feb 23, 2008, 12:22:07 PM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
You have the privilege and/or choice to live in the Mountains. The
roads must be maintained and upgraded as necessary, and that requires
funds that are not available at our current tax rates. If you need to
use the services in the Denver Metro area, you have may have to pay a
couple dollars extra via a Toll to provide those services that use to
access the city. It goes with your choice of living in the mountains,
but wanting the services of the city. You probably complain about all
the traffic too!

marty...@comcast.net

Feb 23, 2008, 12:51:27 PM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
While a bit of a "I have money, you don't" attitude, your approach is
right in line with mine. Unfortunately, the first news of a Toll is
not well accepted by US citizens that believe everything should be
given to them at no charge. However, once a Toll is in place, they
can make a choice to use the faster, more convenient route.

Otherwised they could drive the long route by going to Colorado
Springs then through South Park, up the Arkansas Valley, and then
which ever direction their ski area may be located. They could also
go the more harrowing route up US 285 to Fairplay and over Hoosier
Pass. Take your choice. Money or Time!

tjfo...@yahoo.com

Feb 23, 2008, 2:57:33 PM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Look the skiers are the ones who are using the road and putting the
wear and tear on the road let them pay to maintain it. The trucker
pay their share the people who live up there pay their share. So the
skiers can chip in some more money or attach a fee to lift tickets. I
know some one is going to say let the resort pay it were do you think
they are going to get the money? From the skiers that is where and
put a little extra on it too! So just put a $12 fee on lift tickets
that is all! Remember business do not pay taxes they pass it on to
who ever consumes their goods!

bean

Feb 23, 2008, 6:35:04 PM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Don't hit him on the head, he's already brain dead. Economy is bad and
you want to take more money. I say have a few parking lots and have a
reasonable fare and bus the skiers up to the resorts. The resorts can
have incentives so skiers will take the bus. I don't go to the ski
areas but charging to use I-70 will chase skiers to other states who
want their business. Taxes are high enough so raising that with chase
business away and it will be more than just the skiers.
G. L.

marty...@comcast.net

Feb 23, 2008, 12:24:02 PM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Tunnels, Additional Lanes, and some sort of rail service are all great
ideas. However, how do you pay for these? Let's start with a nominal
Toll for I70, as those that use it today will be those that benefit
from future solutions.

c_jer...@hotmail.com

Feb 24, 2008, 9:54:56 AM2/24/08
to Fix I-70 Now

If we "Colorado" impose a fee for users of I-70 during peak hours,
what is stopping Kansas from charging a fee during what they consider
to be "peak hours"? Next it would be Utah, Missouri, etc. - and it
would cost $200 simply to drive across a series of states in addition
to the gas taxes that we already pay. Also, it seems that many here
think that I-70 is used only for travel to and from ski areas when it
is not. Any solution should take into consideration the other uses of
I-70.

amys...@comcast.net

Feb 24, 2008, 4:02:59 PM2/24/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I think a train/lightrail is a great idea....two birds with one
stone....it would be enviormentally friendly and help with traffic.
The crucial part is providing multiple options for arrival and
departure. I know a lot of people that do not use the ski train from
Union station because there is only one arrival time, and sometimes
for whatever reason, that one time does not work for them. Lets get
with it!!!

marty...@comcast.net

Feb 23, 2008, 10:35:57 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Almost every single response in these forums is similar to the problem
with the United States as a whole. Everybody wants something, but
nobody wants to pay for it! Fiscal responsibility! Do the
contributors of these threads believe that expanding I70 or building a
tunnel is going to be done for free? Do you think our current levels
of taxation will pay for it? We've spent Trillions of dollars on a
war that we can't afford, and before the government allocates funding
for a "nice to have" transportation solution for those privileged
enough to ski, they should consider paying off current debt.

In the mean time, citizens of Colorado need to focus on solutions that
have specific results that include; alternative forms of
transportation (rail, highway, airports, etc.), alleviate current
traffic congestion, and funding that does not add to current State or
Federal debt. Colorado is just beginning the challenges that more
populated areas have been addressing for years; too many people,
resulting in too many cars, driving on outdated roadways, and not
enough tax dollars to fix the problem.

Driving, skiing, and touring the mountains Colorado is a privilege for
those people that either make enough money to do so, or those that
budget carefully to set aside the funds to enjoy a vacation or day
trip to a ski area. If you can afford to enjoy the pleasures of
Colorado, you need to include the cost associated with the
infrastructure that gets you to and from those pleasures. Too many
take for granted the existing infrastructure, and while a Toll on I70
is not popular, it is necessary. A Toll for all cars, trucks, vans,
buses. All year round! Everyone pays, even those that live in the
mountains and need to drive to Denver for the amenities of the city.

The I70 Toll doesn't have to be at the high rates that other Tollways
in Colorado charge. Some are high enough to reconsider taking slower
alternatives on non-toll roads, but that is your choice, paying for
the privilege or not. I70 is the primary connection between the
Denver metro area and the mountains of Colorado, and as such the Toll
should not be prohibitive. But, we all must pay for the privilege of
fast, convenient transportation to enjoy our Mountains.

Senator Romer's proposed Toll on I70 makes a great deal of sense for
the following reasons:
1) We need spread out the peak travel times on I70 to relieve current
congestion. Variable Tolls based upon the time of day would provide
drivers with an incentive to spread out the "rush hour". This would
show results within business rush hours during the work week, and on
the weekends during winter ski and summer touring seasons.
2) Changing the habits of drivers through Tolls provides
transportation experts with alternatives to the design of new/revised
roads, rails, tunnels, and airports. Change can cause turmoil, but
over time the adoption of new methods can provide success for long
term solutions.
3) Toll Revenues would be used to fund the required studies and actual
construction costs of the identified solutions. This goes back to my
point in beginning, the privilege to enjoy our Colorado Mountains
mandates the acceptance of the costs associated with those privileges.
It may not be popular, but right answers are not always the easiest to
accept.

rrco...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2008, 11:16:06 PM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Limit semi trucks to the right lane during rush hour (west bound
only). How many of us have gotten stuck behind two semis blocking
traffic as they creep up the mountain? Nearly everyone, I'm sure.

Seeingeye

Feb 24, 2008, 2:35:45 PM2/24/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Want to solve the traffic problem? Really? Tell Vail Resorts and the
other "ski companies" (VR makes most of its money selling real estate)
to QUIT DISCOUNTING FRONT RANGE LIFT TICKETS and PASSES! A full
season pass for Vail Mountain, if you live in Vail, costs over $1000.
If everyone paid these prices, and VR didn't discount heavily in
Denver, the traffic issues would probably resolve themselves.

The Skicos are publicly-traded companies that must have growth at any
cost... Fortunately for them, the public bears the costs of I-70 and
getting to Vail.

Hate the traffic? Quit buying discount lift tickets and sitting in
traffic jams, Denver!!

april....@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2008, 11:06:35 AM2/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I was quite disappointed when the mono-rail got voted down several
years ago. I have always thought that adding additional "rider" to
every season pass purchased that would allow skiers to ride the
monorail or similar system for free would generate enough revenue to
make the mass transit self sustaining.

vmum...@msn.com

Feb 24, 2008, 9:11:46 AM2/24/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Charging a toll means everyone will have to stop at a toll booth and
that may cause more traffic problems. Having to pay a toll will
discourage skiing. If that's what you want, then maybe it will work.

jimma...@hotmail.com

Feb 24, 2008, 1:11:43 PM2/24/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Carpooling and eventually a mono rail are hopefully the solution.
Charging people for driving during peak times is ridiculous. I would
be fine with slightly higher state tax to pay for repairs for the time
being. This is a responsibility of all Colorado folks not just the
skiers.

dohoney_...@stvrain.k12.co.us

Feb 25, 2008, 2:41:48 PM2/25/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Mono-rail? We need to solve this problem now, and then certainly plan
for a future with a much larger population that will be using I-70!
We can't wait for a monorail in the year 2019. Why doesn't the ski
resorts help this congestion during the ski season? They are the ones
reaping the rewards with the visitors to their areas. Why can't they
stagger the time(s) of the ski day so not EVERYONE is on I-70 at the
same time. Most seniors don't care to ski from 9:00-4:00. How about a
discount lift ticket (other than senior discounts) to those that
choose a shorter ski day? The resorts can do a 9:00 start, at 10:00
start, and an 11:00 start and then 1/2 day. Why does it have to be
just a full day of a 1/2 day lift ticket? Cmon Colorado, you can be
more creative than suggesting a monorail! Every ticket is
electronically monitored already. How about putting times on those
tickets as well, like start times and end times to the ski day.
Discount them, or sell them by the hour according to the kind of day
people wish to spend on the Mountain. Nobody likes sitting on I-70 for
5 hours because of an accident or a snow storm. It's less appealing to
ski now than ever before. It's a waste of time, and gas, and by the
time you arrive at the slope - a waste of about $80. Pay for what you
want to get out of your day instead of the ski resorts forcing you
into a full day. All the resorts should offer a 1/2 day ticket for
morning people as well. Those people can then head home at noon. The
technology is there for the ski resorts to use - so why aren't they?

cya

Feb 26, 2008, 10:07:54 AM2/26/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Hi, I'm a 6th generation native Coloradoan, and I have a great idea
for the I-70 corridor. How about we take the MASSIVE amounts of taxes
generated by the sales of goods and services at some of the most
famous ski areas in the world and apply it towards road improvements,
or hey, maybe even a light-rail type ski train?

The notion that the tremendous amount of revenue generated for this
state by the Winter Sports industry is not substantial enough to
balance the improvements needed to I-70 is completely lame. So is the
notion that people who are living in this state and paying a pretty
hefty state income tax should have to pay additional fees in order to
avail themselves of the attractions that made 1/2 of them move here in
the first place. Let's get real, can we?

Perhaps we could initiate a solution to the problem, knowing that
increased accessibility will result in increased revenue.

I haven't been on the slopes for several years, but it doesn't take
much brain power to figure out that I-70 is packed to the gills
because people are willing to go and spend in excess of $100 per day,
per person to be on the slopes. Shouldn't we act like we appreciate
their contribution to our state's income and job pool?

Try a shift of paradigm. It might be helpful.

mark

Feb 26, 2008, 11:03:26 AM2/26/08
to Fix I-70 Now
There is a fundamental issue missed by those that support a fee on
everyone on the road: the road was already paid for by tax dollars and
it is not a toll road! If you want to propose a new toll road, go
ahead, but stop trying to toll our existing roads. I propose a bus
solution in the bus forum.

a...@vail.net

Feb 25, 2008, 5:46:31 PM2/25/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Many of you appear to want to know the facts about what is being
studied for solutions. Are you looking for a real source for
information? Take a look at the I-70 coalition website if you want
information about the work that is being done on the future of the
I-70 corridor.

The I-70 coalition web site. http://www.i70solutions.org/

cya

Feb 26, 2008, 10:09:45 AM2/26/08
to Fix I-70 Now
> > would be quite expensive, but it too would provide an alternate road.- Hide quoted text -

marc.de...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2008, 11:51:35 PM2/26/08
to Fix I-70 Now
This idea is not going to fix the problem. This idea is not only an
unfair tax to people who use the highway, but has numerous faults. One
example is that it could also cause more problems by people pulling
off to the side of the icy road before the toll just before the time
changes and causing more congestion in different areas. Other
solutions should be looked at like a public carpool website or bus
system or HOV system that gives a break to cars with 3 or more
licensed drivers, or a turn-around before the tunnel for traffic
heading East in the afternoons that allows people to turn around if
there is too much traffic, have dinner in Silverthorne/Dillon/Frisco
and support those economies rather than creating congestion. There
are so many other ways to effectively fix the issue rather than
another TAX!

marc.de...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2008, 12:44:54 AM2/27/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Being a Colorado resident since 1979 and an avid skier, I have seen
the congestion on I-70 change dramatically over the years and I am
personally effected by it each weekend. I do not believe that your
idea of charging a toll and/or giving an incentive to not drive during
certain times to be a fair and decent idea at all. I am completely
against charging for any use of that public highway especially since
there is no great alternative such as another guaranteed easy way
around the Eisenhower tunnel or public transportation.

Not only is this idea unfair to anyone who would want to use this
public highway at anytime, but this would only put a band aid on the
congestion problem and not solve the underlying problem... Ski Areas
are open certain times and that's when people want to ski; the amount
of traffic is an incentive already to go before or after the congested
time.

Would it be possible to think about some other alternatives such as a
train system or some other great type of public transportation and
bring it to the general public for a vote and a potential tax on
tourists? What about a turn-around on I-70 East near the tunnel so
people can turn around and go back to Silverthorne/Dillon/Frisco to
shop and eat while the traffic dies down. Maybe a tax on car rentals
(not shuttles as that decreases car rental traffic), but not another
tax on people who live in this beautiful, wonderful state, please!

msk...@comcast.net

Feb 27, 2008, 7:32:34 PM2/27/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Moffat Tunnel is only used for trains so it's not so great of a
shortcut through the mountains unless you're a train.

But I agree, extending a whole new road through that area would help
ease congestion along I-70 especially for those going to Winter Park.

I also love the idea of improving Hwy 285 and Hwy 9 as the back way
into Summit County. Make those roads real freeways (or small-fee
tollways) and I'm sure a lot of people would start that alternative to
Ski Country.

On Feb 22, 2:54 pm, ddim...@comcast.net wrote:
> We need a highway and tunnel from Boulder to WinterPark, Tabernash,
> Granby, Steamboat Springs, etc. This would allow all of the Northern
> Front Range traffic to avoid using I-70 to get to the destinations I
> mentioned above. This would save alot of fuel and miles and most of
> all relieve I-70 congestion. The Moffit tunnel has been in use for
> years and works great for a shortcut through the mountains.

anne...@hotmail.com

Feb 27, 2008, 3:14:28 PM2/27/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I agree with this solution.....if it were a possibility, this would
probably be the quickest and easiest "fix" to the horrible I-70
traffic. My family and I go up skiing most weekends in Vail and drive
down on Sunday after skiing. Almost every Sunday the "traffic jam"
starts where Winterpark enters I-70. Just think about it.....almost
all of the major ski resorts in Colorado, an international, national
and local destination for skiing, are serviced by I-70.....an
interstate with two lanes of traffic in each direction! It is
ridiculous to think this 4 lane highway could efficiently feed almost
all of the major ski resorts in Colorado. If a new highway could be
put in to the north to service Winterpark and Steamboat, I think a
huge traffic relief would be seen on I-70. I don't think it would
totally resolve the problem but it would be a beginning. We have to
begin somewhere......a solution should have been sought 10 years ago
before the problem grew to near crisis proportions. "Time's a'wastin"
and we need to get going on a solution to the I-70 nightmare.

On Feb 22, 10:12 am, sdi...@comcast.net wrote:
> I would like to know why you don't relieve traffic from north of
> Denver by creating a highway through Nederland and then improve on
> Moffat Tunnel so that we can get to Granby, the Winter Park area,
> Steamboat Springs, a shortcut to Utah, etc.  You've got roads in the
> area, a tunnel, why don't you just improve on them and relieve a
> percentage of the traffic on I-70?   My husband and family have been
> asking this of each other for years.  Thanks for the forum to finally
> ask the question to someone who might know the answer.

msk...@comcast.net

Feb 27, 2008, 7:14:00 PM2/27/08
to Fix I-70 Now
A $12 fee is not only impractical it's just plain stupid and will send
out of state visitors to Utah, if the heavy traffic hasn't done so
already. Plus putting up tollbooths will just create even more
congestion because people have to come to a complete stop anyway and
100,000 cars getting to the tollbooths at the exact same time is not a
good thing.

I read somewhere else that someone says we should put a train on pre-
existing train tracks. Uhh, where are the tracks? The ONLY east/west
RR through the mountains follows Highway 40 and then doesn't even hit
I-70 until just outside of Glenwood Canyon. Liiiiitle too far west to
make a train trip worth it to Ski Country. Only train trip to the
mountains is to Winter Park but not everyone wants to go there.

So what I think we should do is work with UPRR, or BNSF to extend off
one of the existing lines that run through Arvada another line that
follows, or goes near, I-70. It would be passenger trains only and
would hopefully not hit too many crossings so that it can ease the
noise. And yes, of course, charge people to ride this train.

Personally, I'm all for a real rail line both on the ground, through
tunnels, and elevated when necessary. This monorail business sounds
so "Disney".

Al

Feb 27, 2008, 5:25:32 PM2/27/08
to Fix I-70 Now
There is an old railroad grade in the hills east of Winterpark which
is now a road. How about using the raod for a monorail from Denver to
Winter Park. I70 - And resorts adjoining - Institute a reservation
system. Determine how many skiers a resorts can handle and make
reservation. With less skiers able to ski per day, the less traffic.
Obviously, the ski resorts are greedy, lets not let them make the
decisions on the numbers. Teach people how to drive, less brake happy
people, less left lane junkies would be a certain resolution to a lot
of the traffic problems. Get off the phone, go the speed limit and
don't step on the brakes at every turn. Wonder how much that would
cost the taxpayers...not much.

ncut...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2008, 1:29:08 PM2/28/08
to Fix I-70 Now
As I am driving up to I70, I see that east-bound traffic is very
light. Is it possible to close one of the lanes going east and open it
up for traffic to go west? You can even make it a toll lane. Just a
thought

Happy2Drive

Mar 1, 2008, 8:46:15 PM3/1/08
to Fix I-70 Now
There is no problem to fix. I-70 has traffic on weekends, how is that
any different than I25, or I70 or 36 on weekday mornings and
evenings? If you don't like it, go to Eldora, or Monarch. I for one,
don't mind slowing down a little. What's the rush?

silver...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2008, 1:00:34 PM3/9/08
to Fix I-70 Now
# 1 I think monorail is the solution to all our transportation
problems in Colorado. Would save big bucks on hiway construction,
repairs and upkeep.

# 2 I would like to see Mr. Romer ban all trucks from using I 70
there by returning those resort towns to their natural state for lack
of food and fuel. We all could once again enjoy the natural beauty of
our mountains.(Just a thought)

Marc Solome

Mar 12, 2008, 12:41:39 PM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
1) You can not charge for the public to use a road that was built with
federal funds...its federal law, 2) I agree with the many other people
in this forum, lets explore the monorail or light rail. Charging a car
with two people is both unfair and ridiculous. Do you really want to
penalize people who just want to go skiing, or maybe it is a couple
without kids...why would you charge them any more then bring an
additional friend?

ja.do...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2008, 6:22:37 AM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I do not hate the fact that he has opened up the issue of the I-70
problem. I do not think his ideas are the right ones, but something
at least needs to get started in the comming years or there are going
to be huge issues. The ski resorts, have done nothing about this and
need to recognize that they need to be pro-active. All I see is a
20-40 percent increase in lift ticket prices with little or now change
at these resorts in the last three years. It's time to build mass
transit to every one of them. Not only is traffic up there a problem
so is parking at these places. I love Colorado, I love riding, I
hope I can still afford it three years from now.

akafra...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2008, 9:08:14 AM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Logging in to a web site to register your drive isn't going to
work...people are to short sited and will forget this
process...plus...plans change all the time......why not install
traffic control cameras along the I-70 route at specific High traffic
areas in order to monitor the traffic....then have electronic signs
that can instantly display the speed limit to either slow traffic down
or speed it up based on that data....works very effectively in
Europe...since your going to the expense of making these
changes....why not make them effective.

fleetmack

Mar 12, 2008, 9:42:22 AM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
You're kidding me, right? I'm already paying $85/day for a lift
ticket and $20/day in gas, along with the food at the resorts, now I
have to pay MORE money to use something that my tax dollars already
pay for (the federal Interstate system)?! This is absurd. Why not do
this along all interstates during rush hour every day too. C470 is a
mess on my way home from work, so make me pay to use that too. This
is ridiculous.

sam...@q.com

Mar 12, 2008, 12:25:55 PM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Let's see...I've skied one day in the last ten years. I live in
Lakewood, work in Idaho Springs, including every other weekend (9-6
Sat, 10-2 Sun). Nevertheless, I'll pay 3 times every other weekend,
just to go to work, and, if I read the bill correctly, there is no
exception for me even though I definitely do not represent the problem
at these times. By the way, weekend traffic flow has improved
significantly in the last 2 yrs; I would say that this past winter has
been little or no problem, especially compared to 2005-06. But go
right ahead and administer the cure even though the patient is well.
This is just the type of short-sighted grand-standing governance we're
all so sick of! On the other hand, recent history and this bill
suggest that Sen. Romer has exactly what it takes to be President.
What's next Senator? Are gonna propose that the State invade Iraq and
find those pesky WMD once and for all?

peterg...@yahoo.com

Mar 12, 2008, 9:27:35 AM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I feel that the true end result to clean the air and allow
transportation is to have high speed trains, and the resorts could
provide transportation from their end. but in the short term the
problem always seems, except in ex-stream snow events, that the
traffic always slows at the tunnel east of Idaho Springs. could we
open this up so people are not afraid of it. the other answer for me
is to ticket, with your camera's, people who drive in the left hand
lane and refuse to get over and allow traffic by. we are not efficient
in our use of the roads. also instead of a tax, how about incentives
for people who are willing to travel at different times, i.e. discount
tickets, first runs on powder days, etc. If we are going to fix this
problem lets get really creative. taxing does not work. most of the
people going up into the mountains are of the middle or upper class
and a little tax means nothing to them. Incentives on the other hand
might make the difference.

canyon...@hotmail.com

Mar 12, 2008, 9:03:04 AM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
This is the stupidest idea yet. I don't ski but I use this road. If
skiers are the problem, charge them, but leave the rest of us and
commerce (trucks) alone. We pay taxes for the use of this road and
another tax is way to much. Work on real solutions like monorail or
buses instead of stupid ideas like this.

jessiek

Mar 12, 2008, 3:33:17 PM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
pure, unmitigated, extortion against the western slope!!! boo!

gareth...@hotmail.com

Mar 12, 2008, 7:09:30 PM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
This is quite possibly one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard.
This does not solve any problem but only serves to penalize people who
want to enjoy the largest tourist value in Colorado. The goal of the
bill is to decrease use.. Why would you want to decrease the use of a
road the brings millions of tax dollars to colorado. How about
widening the road or adding a light rail. Get more people skiing and
snowboarding, don't try to decrease the number. All this does is
increase the cost to use these services or pushes people off 70 onto
285.

It solves nothing.

italy...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2008, 7:25:53 PM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
So adding a Toll booth will help with congestion eh? Think again.
People will have to stop, dig through their wallets, pay their fee,
and finally after hours of worse congestion....get to the mountains.
If you think that making people stop to pay a fee will help with
congestion-HOW!? It won't it will make it worse!!! If you notice who
the people are on the road that hold up traffic-who are they? The
truckers, the people driving RVs, trailers, etc. If your vehicle
cannot make it up the mtn with out completely slowing down-get off the
road! Charge them! Have truckers drive during off peak hours. They are
'supposed' to stop every 8 hours- why not rest then? Less frustrating
for them right? It's not stop and go later in the morning! If they do
put a toll booth-where is it going to be located-so that we can take
other routes to the mountains? So that people can cut through towns,
Idaho Springs for example, who will pay their roads when they get all
messed up because of this clever idea? A toll booth is lame. Why would
we want to pay more, when we have to pay $3-4 a gallon in gas, $10-20
in parking, $450 for a season pass, $20 for a snack that is called
lunch.....just wither give us a discount on a season pass.....free
lunch coupons....free gas.....then MAYBE we will pay the
toll.....think of a better idea Romer.....or you will have many more
people hit you on the head with their ski poles........

mssm...@yahoo.com

Mar 12, 2008, 8:50:07 PM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Well. gee, the last time I went through the tunnel to go skiing was,
let me see, oh yeah, before there was a tunnel! In the meantime, I
have been stuck in ski traffic (or simply holiday/summer weekend
traffic many times even though I TRY VERY HARD to avoid being there
during rush times. Bite the bullet and fix the damned road. If it can
be done (and very well, I might add) through the Glenwood Canyon, then
it can damned well be done up to and beyond the Eisenhower/Johnson
tunnels!

Get Romer off his stealing the gs taxes for mass transit mentality
that has reduced the available funding for highways, and fix the
roads!

MS

abes...@hotmail.com

Mar 12, 2008, 7:26:35 PM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I feel there is no reason to charge people for an interstate we pay
taxes for out of our pockets. While the gas, food, and other luxuries
are going up. The last thing we need is to pay a toll for us to drive
on a road that I pay for out of every pay check. I am not complaining
about the traffic if you don't like it catch the train to Winter Park.
I bet the only people that are complaining are the people that have
deep pockets, but for us po folks sking cost enough as it is and you
want us to pay more for what. I think its just anothr gimmick to get
more money out of our pockets. If this starts it will never end.

Co-Centuar

Mar 12, 2008, 7:39:58 PM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I live in vail and work in Denver, I drive I70 4 times aweek paying
would not be worth it.

fifteen.

Mar 12, 2008, 10:01:08 PM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
How realistic is a railway through the corridor?

This websitre provides useful info on the subject.

I think for the long term rail transport needs to be part of the
solution. Skiing in the Rockies is never going away, even with all of
the global warming fears, so we need to find a way to keep tourists
coming to our state and spend their money as well as please the many
locals who enjoy the mountains on the weekends.

Look at Europe? Why are we so far behind on rail transport??

localskier

Mar 12, 2008, 10:25:28 PM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Charging people to drive on I-70 is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Why should it be our responsibility to "fix" a problem created by a
horrible DOT and a government that doesn't want to support mass
transit? The tourists are the real problem, to be sure, but there are
far too many complications in trying to discern who is a local and who
isn't and who is skiing and who isn't. That will take up more time
than it will save. I agree with the poster earlier who said if you
want to avoid traffic, get the hell out of bed, stay later and have
dinner, or find a place to spend the night. That is what we have been
doing for years, and we never get in any traffic at all. For us, there
is no problem. All it requires is a little effort, some creative mass
transit options, such as a ski train or more buses, and a DOT who
stops screwing around and finds solutions. Don't we already pay you
enough?

amb...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2008, 8:10:34 PM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I think this is a terrible idea and not a very well thought out bill.
If as you said on the news tonight that the traffic has discouraged
people from heading up the mountain to ski then they have the right to
choose not to go. The rest of us that go up 2-3 times a week and
choose to sit in the traffic because a little traffic isnt going to
keep us from riding shouldnt be punished. You are thinking of charging
people driving on this road $12 each way which is about 1/4 of the
price of a lift ticket. You are also going to charge residents and
trucks. Maybe you should consider what this is going do to the
mountain town economy. We all pay taxes for this road and are now
going to charge us more just because we want to use this road at our
convenience. Maybe you should consider a reversible lane and have it a
lane that is only available for 3+ and/or a toll. I dont think those
of us that want to head up the mountain by ourselves or with one other
person should be penalized and neither should the truckers who are
just doing their jobs nor locals.

do...@q.com

Mar 13, 2008, 12:00:30 AM3/13/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I don't think charging front range skiers is the answer. It will only
alienate and turn off a very large portion of skiers, reducing the
revenue to the mountains. Skiing is expensive enough, raising the cost
will reduce traffic and also cut profits in the industry. I think a
multi prong approach is the answer.

1) Lower the price of the Amtrak line to Winter Park or open the
tracks for competing companies
2) Run buses from Denver to Frisco and have resorts shuttle people
from there
3) Give incentives to encourage people to carpool
4) Reduce Semi traffic at key times to keep traffic moving
5) Work on Highway 285 to provide an alternate route to Breck and
Keystone for those who live in South Denver
6) Improve the frontage road along I-70 so that it can be used as
additional lanes
7) In the morning shut down one East bound lanes so that there is 3
West bound lanes, reverse for the afternoon drive home.
8) Work with ski areas to provide more night skiing and lower the
ticket costs. Shift some of the traffic to later in the day.
9) Ski Tram, similar to Disneyland
10) Okay the ski area proposed for Pikes Peak and divert some skiers
there.
11) less expenive flights to areas that have airports near buy
12) Improve road clearing operations to cut accidents
13) Clear accidents faster

There are so many things that can help, even small attempts at all of
these could be successful.

mfren...@hotmail.com

Mar 13, 2008, 12:38:17 AM3/13/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Making I-70 a toll road is only going to create more of a problem.
There are no pros to this argument. Skiing is already expensive and
now you want to tack on extra just to get there? I have family on the
western slope and now you want to charge me to go see them? That's
ridiculous, just let it be. If people really don't want any traffic
they will find a way to avoid it.

rstep...@hotmail.com

Mar 13, 2008, 10:32:11 AM3/13/08
to Fix I-70 Now
A toll on I-70 is not the solution. The problem has arose from lack
of action by people who over see I-70. By placing a toll on I-70 you
are punishing people, not helping them. You are creating more
bureaucracy, and headache. This bill is still a knee jerk reaction,
because Senator Romer was inconvenienced when he wanted to go skiing.

Senator Romer, have you even thought of the effect on the economy of
the corridor towns? If you increase the cost of getting to ski
resorts, you will see less people. The people that do go up the
mountain will have less money to spend while skiing or eating.
Overall the mountain towns, which rely on skiers and tourists, will
see less income, hurting the mountain economy.

There is only one solution, to make the corridor able to handle more
volume. Whether this is through more lanes, a train, or adding center
lanes which can be switched directions for high traffic times. This
would be a project larger than T-rex, but it is necessary.

As the Front Range grows, the amount of skiers will grow. A toll
would just decrease the number of people for a time, but would soon
climb back to where it is now and surpass it.

If Senator Romer really wants to be part of a solution, he would work
to find funding for improving and expanding the I-70 corridor. Wether
it is through a bill for a new tax, or through existing funds for road
improvements.

SkiBob

Mar 13, 2008, 12:49:24 PM3/13/08
to Fix I-70 Now
As an engineer, I know that tolling this road can't work. The
logistics are nightmarish; there is no way (without increasing the
congestion) to change I-70 into a more limited access road and avoid
negative impacts from those trying to bypass portals to avoid the
tolls. Clearly, using some lanes of a divided highway for reverse
direction won't work either. Imagine how much more dangerous the
eastbound lanes would be with bi-directional traffic and winter
driving conditions! As well, the bidirectional flow would probably
reduce speeds to a total crawl.

Things we can do:

(1) Tell Vail Resorts to return to a 8:30 A.M. lift start time at
Keystone. It was changed to 9:00 two seasons ago, and thus creates
less incentive for drivers to be on the road early. Similar request
for Vail, where the lifts don't start at 8:30 until late in December.

(2) Pass and enforce legislation requiring adequate snow tires for
winter driving, with a $1000 fine if a driver wrecks and their tires
are found to be inadequate. Much of the slowage during winter driving
conditions is caused by unskilled or white-knuckled drivers who cannot
maintain a reasonable safe speed on bald, summer tires or wide, low-
profile performance tires. Snow tires are expensive, but so are SUVs
and skiing. Wrecks are much more expensive. As a skier - not a wannabe
- I've run premium snows on all my cars every season for over 30
years, and can go more than twice as fast safely as on "all-season"
tires. So can you.

(3) Pass and enforce legislation to have slow drivers merge right
after passing. Some of us want to get there, and appreciate not
having to pass you on the right just because you are inattentive, lazy
or think you are driving fast enough.

(4) Pass and enforce legislation banning use of hand-held cell phones
by the driver of a moving vehicle. Screw civil liberties; we should
not have the right to text at 65MPH. New York got this one right
years ago.

(5) Pass a 25 cent-per-gallon increase in the state gas tax. We've
proven during the inflation of gas prices that driving demand is
relatively price-inelastic, and if we can afford what gas will cost,
the additional tax will be nominal. Increase it to 50 cents in 5
years. The entire proceeds should go to highway construction and
maintenance. The collection mechanism is already in place, unlike
tolling. Further, unlike registration fee hikes, it is proportional to
miles driven and rewards smaller, more fuel-efficient cars.

(6) Begin - where the space permits and the engineering challenges are
minor - to 3-lane I-70. Stop wasting money studying this to death.
The environmental impact of the road will not be any worse than the
impact of allowing runaway home construction has already been. We
have needed the third lane for decades.

(7) Stop the whimsical notion of a mass-transit solution (e.g. Mag Lev
trains) that would eliminate the need to 3-lane I-70. The diverse
distribution of front-range origins and mountain destinations makes
such a scheme impractical for families and others wanting to schlep
hundreds of pounds of ski or bike gear from home to their favorite
hill, trail, home or condo. The cost of a train and the
infrastructure at both ends would be much greater than building a
larger I-70.

(8) Do nothing, and let Mother Nature reduce the demand. Once the
lodgepoles are all killed by the bark beetles and burn to the bround,
the mountains will be denuded and ugly; the desire for summer mountain
escapes will wither. Similarly, as the globe warms, the ski season
will continue to shorten.

karaj...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2008, 12:08:19 PM3/13/08
to Fix I-70 Now
This solution is only favoring people who own places in the mountains,
people with mountain homes can go and leave as they please avoiding
the tolls, while others who enjoy going up to the mountains without a
place to stay will get a slap in the face for going up on a Saturday
morning. Does that seem fair? It this equal to all, no.

neversu...@yahoo.com

Mar 13, 2008, 7:51:53 AM3/13/08
to Fix I-70 Now
As someone who has lived in the mountains and moved to Denver what you
say is offensive and disturbing. How about we say that since you don't
live in the mountains only you should pay for the access from the
Denver metro area. You would say that it would be unfair since other
people use the road also. But you have no problem telling the folks up
there that they should pay for your problem. I don't hear a bunch of
complaints coming from people living on the other side of the tunnel
nearly as much as I hear it coming from the front range. To say that
since you living up there is a privilege you should be penalized for
that is short sighted. Penalizing people for living on the other side
of the divide would be like saying well you live in the suburbs so
we're going to charge you to get to major services. I certainly think
that if it were suggested that there should be a toll between
countyline road and Thornton pkwy (to ease congestion that happens
every day during rush hour) you would say that is unreasonable since
you use that road on a regular basis. In short don't say people should
be penalized for where they chose to live and this bill does just that
penalizes people who need to come to the metro area from the west.

On Feb 23, 11:22 am, marty.do...@comcast.net wrote:
> You have the privilege and/or choice to live in the Mountains. The
> roads must be maintained and upgraded as necessary, and that requires
> funds that are not available at our current tax rates. If you need to
> use the services in the Denver Metro area, you have may have to pay a
> couple dollars extra via a Toll to provide those services that use to
> access the city. It goes with your choice of living in the mountains,
> but wanting the services of the city. You probably complain about all
> the traffic too!
>
> On Feb 22, 9:41 am, maurab...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > I don't care for these ideas at all. However, I am curious, should
> > this bill be implemented, if locals to the ski resort towns are going
> > to be fined as well if they happen to be traveling between Denver and
> > home and get caught in ski traffic. When you live in the mountains,
> > you travel to and from Denver rather frequently to use the luxuries of
> > the city (doctors, clothing stores, Sam's Club, etc.) and the times at
> > which you travel rely heavily on the schedules of your intentions in
> > Denver. Often those times overlap with ski traffic. Would you really
> > consider charging someone for driving to the doctors during rush
> > hour?
>
> > And we pay for the maintenance and opportunity to use these highways
> > anyway through tax dollars. We should NOT have to pay when we
> > actually chose (or have to) use them.

David.U.L...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2008, 12:12:45 AM3/13/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Is there really a serious traffic problem on I-70 in the mountains?
Check out the roads back east then decide.

kiers...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2008, 8:44:21 AM3/13/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I live on the western slope. I attend meetings in Denver. I don't
want to have to pay to head back home. Gas and wear and tear on the
car is expensive enough. Plus dealing with people who really shouldn't
be on the road. It would only add to the stress of driving

sday...@comcast.net

Mar 13, 2008, 2:49:10 PM3/13/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Tunnelling under Mosquito Pass is the worst idea yet!! We are talking
old mining area, not only would it by very, very costly, it would more
than likely contaminate everything in Fairplay AND Leadville.
Leadville has enough water pollution to deal with as it is with out us
running commuter tunnels through old mining areas.

On Feb 22, 8:27 am, gvandergies...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Having an alternate route around the congestion would help greatly.
> Highway 285 parallels I-70 from about Indian Hills to Grant, all from
> a great distance though.  At Grant though, Highway 285 heads directly
> towards Frisco.  If it were possible to build a road from Grant on
> Highway 285 to Frisco on I-70, then an alternative route would be
> available for traffic.
>
> Also, a tunnel under Mosquito Pass between Leadville and Fairplay
> would be quite expensive, but it too would provide an alternate road.

mwo...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2008, 3:13:19 PM3/13/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Forget tolls.

How about something SIMPLE and CHEAP. Have a bus leave from the
Morrison Exit (Exit 260) every hour to Breck/Keystone and return every
hour. A $15/person fare will pay for buses. It is also comparable to
the gas cost for 2 people in a SUV.

The State can lease the buses for a season. If it works, step the
program up to include Copper and Vail / Beaver Creek.

A PILOT program like this will tell us whether it will work, and will
a lot cheaper than tunnels and toll booths.

robpe...@bondwave.com

Mar 14, 2008, 9:52:14 AM3/14/08
to Fix I-70 Now
The LAST thing you want on I-70 is a toll road. Trust me, you haven't
seen real traffic backups until you've seen toll booth backups during
a rush hour. I'm originally from Nothern Illinois and had to commute
on the Illinois Tollway system. High volume rush hour traffic is bad
enough, but to add tollbooths is another bottleneck that compounds the
problem at an exponential rate.

A more proactive solution would be to set up a bus line and offer
discount coupons to riders for lift tickets, restaurants, or other
skier services.

S4F4...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2008, 2:26:54 PM3/18/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Weekend Bus Transit (tour buses, not RTD buses) with free wifi access
for $10-$20 roundtrip; consider tiered pricing based on time; cheaper
for peak times). Consider a fleet of 50-100 diesel or electric tour
buses (~100 riders per bus) - @100 buses that is 5000 cars of 2 riders
(or 10000 riders) off the roads during the weekends.

The low ticket cost pays for the cost of the bus, gas, maintenance,
and drivers. It's NOT a money making proposition...it's a BREAK EVEN
proposition (you hear that you, politicians) that will lighten traffic
at peak times (most likely get the 1-2 person riders to abandon their
cars) and help GREEN the environment.

Have pickups around the metro RTD areas (Stapleton, Nine-mile, etc) to
avoid having to build new parking structures at the front-range.

For the hundreds of millions that it would take to pay for highway
expansion, you can implement this for much much less as the cost of
buses would be less.

I'd pay $5-$10 for a one-way trip to the mountains instead of having
to drive myself as long as it is convenient and fairly often (hourly
pickups).

rdm_87-fr...@yahoo.com

Mar 19, 2008, 7:30:16 PM3/19/08
to Fix I-70 Now
We're not necesarily opposed to paying something to find a solution to
the I-70 congestion. However we are in total disagreement with this
plan for the following reasons:

- First and foremost, when I pay a substantial fee for something I
would expect to receive something for it. It seems to me this plan
would simply cause more inconvenience and probably more congestion for
people who are just trying to get some recreation. And it appears
that the infrastructure would be primarily the same, except with the
added hassle and delay of a toll system, internet reservations and
restriction. If you wanted to charge a toll for a new and improved
highway, or if you wanted to build a mass transit system and ask
people to pay for that, it seems reasonable. Asking people to pay
more, and essentially put them through more inconvenience is wrong.
- Most people work Monday - Friday. This is the only time they can
get to the mountains. So they do the only thing they can, which is to
travel to the moutains during peak hours. They have very little
flexibility to change this, and it's absolutely unfair to charge these
people simply for the crime of having jobs. They have no choice but
to pay your tax, or do with less recreation time, or sleep. Or simply
they don't go to the mountains. This seems awfully unfair to them.
- This is not a sustainable solution. The population will grow. The
roads are simply too small for the population we have and for our
future growth. We should improve I-70 to address this, as well as
provide some type of mass transportation. It's time. Let's use
existing tax dollars where they're needed (see next item).
- As the population in the state has increased the tax revenues
presumably collected, in part, for infrastructure has increased. Why
can't we allocate funds for improvements from what we have already
paid? Why is an additional tax required. This seems to me like
another big bureaucratic solution for a basically simple problem.
- Why should this problem be "pay-for-use" when everything else in the
state budget is paid collectively. Personally I like the idea of
paying for what you use, but it's wrong to implement this principle on
only these people, when the rest of the state budget is distributed in
a different manner.
- The people who live between, say, Genesee and the tunnel have the
problem that to use the bus system they need to travel away from their
destination, and at the end of the day they will travel past their
destination and drive back to it. They have paid a premium to live
where they do, and now they have to extend their commute, or drive
their cars and pay the toll
- There are no details on what "peak hours" are. This means whenever
the state decides, they can expand the toll hours, and reduce the free
hours, leaving fewer choices for people. The state's incentive will
be to maximize revenue so absolutely they will. Cities do this all
the time with parking meters, just because they want more money to
spend (e.g., Boulder recently extended paid parking hours in town.
Why? Because they can.)

Yes, let's invest some money to improve this problem. But let's get
some actual improvements for our troubles. OK, maybe not a leading
edge monorail system costing many billions. But maybe a couple new
reversible lanes, a bus system, or maybe a convetional rail system.

josht...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2008, 10:11:26 PM3/23/08
to Fix I-70 Now
There have been numerous ideas posted on this forum regarding Europe's
experiences with traffic problems over mountain passes. Given the
amount of dollars that is going to be required to resolve the issue,
spend a few grand and go over to Innsbruck, Austria. They have been
through this exact issue with Brenner Pass that connects Innsbruck
with Italy including tolls, public transportation, building tunnels,
and reducing truck traffic. It seems to me studying what a community
has already experienced will provide tremendous insight to our issue.
Good luck.

Jla...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2008, 2:40:32 PM3/12/08
to Fix I-70 Now
As a native Coloradan, I am flabergasted at the proposal of a toll
road on I-70. I travel back and forth to Grand Junction (where I'm
originally from) to visit my family. I've paid taxes to the State for
a long time, and why should a Denver Democrat dictate that I have to
pay a toll to visit my family?

rdm_87-fr...@yahoo.com

Mar 19, 2008, 6:51:25 PM3/19/08
to Fix I-70 Now
I can't imagine a toll road on I-70 that would make the congestion
worse. The tunnels east of Idaho springs cause a massive backup as it
is. I would expect a toll road to be worse

colorad...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2008, 2:10:48 PM3/18/08
to Fix I-70 Now
Everyone who is frustrated with the governments options join me in the
effort to build a ski rail to ease traffic, ease polution, and become
a greener state WITHOUT using tax dollars or your commuter dollars.
Please EMAIL me to find out how you can help!
colorad...@gmail.com Lets do something about this problem before
the government is forced to make these tolls and taxes and
complications a reality! They have no other options! Lets build
something Colorado and its Residents can be proud of!!!