Extending Fityk's language (DSL) , it's future...

Leon Niceday

Feb 17, 2023, 4:55:10 AM2/17/23
to fityk-users
Hi all,
this is more a general comment/feedback on Fityk than asking for help.
I found it while searching for some tool /language for data analysis and plotting, as alternative to Matlab-like langs.
I found interesting that Fityk can evaluate expressions like "Y[n]=y[n]+y[n-1]" for all "n" automatically, which makes its DSL like an array language, good for productivity.
So I have explored and read all its documentation.

It's surely powerful as fitting tool, and much more, but in the end, what will make me personally not stick with it (until I actually have to fit something! ) is that, for more general processing one has to learn some Lua as well.

I think it would be great, in long term, to extend fityk DSL to be able to do most of what one would recur to Lua scripting for.
(like basic string processing with interpolation of vars, loops, ...).
It's tiresome to have to learn 2 languages.
If such extension done, then from what I can tell, it's going to be much cleaner to write the scripts currently done with Lua, b/c one would not have to call F:method(...) so often.

Any of you think the same?

Marcin Wojdyr

Feb 19, 2023, 4:21:46 AM2/19/23
to fityk...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leon,

I agree that it would be better to have a Matlab-like language than
Lua, but developing a full language interpreter is out of scope of
this project. It would be a big project on its own. And I don't think
there are any Matlab-like languages designed for embedding.
Perhaps Python would be a better choice than Lua, but embedding Lua is
less complicated.
Anyway, given how low the current development activity in Fityk is,
it's unlikely to change.

Marcin
> --
> http://groups.google.com/group/fityk-users
> ---

Vic

Feb 20, 2023, 10:41:26 AM2/20/23
to fityk...@googlegroups.com
I totally understand, no worry.
Maybe the DSL will be extended, gradually, as I mentioned, but it doesn't have to be you or soon.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "fityk-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fityk-users/CACaHzQUDPzxSPYed7jcxGzVAOO8CLA33KVG2AKt0KQWbT5DxKg%40mail.gmail.com.