using FITS for the first time

Elizabeth McAulay

Jan 22, 2019, 5:06:16 PM1/22/19
to fits-users
Hi All,

I'm using FITS for the first time, and I did get some output, but I'm wondering what to do with the output.

To be clear, I'm trying to troubleshoot some TIFFs that are not opening in Photoshop, Bridge, or Mac Preview.

Sorry to bother you all with my newbie questions.

Best,
Elizabeth

Bjarne Andersen

Jan 23, 2019, 2:06:33 AM1/23/19
to fits-...@googlegroups.com
You would have to look at the output to try and identify problems
An easy test might be to Compare with the FITS-output of A “good” file to be aware of differences

Best
Bjarne Andersen

Remco van Veenendaal

Feb 12, 2019, 8:33:27 AM2/12/19
to fits-users
Hi Elizabeth,

In addition to Bjarne's reply: you may want to visit https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/fits/understanding-output and https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/fits/fits-xml to understand what kind of information the FITS output contains.

Or watch https://vimeo.com/65186522 (e.g. from minute 32, FITS output).

Regards,
Remco

Elizabeth McAulay

Feb 12, 2019, 10:11:05 AM2/12/19
to fits-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you both! To reflect after some time, I think I was hoping the FITS output was telling me something different than I wanted to hear. It was telling me the file was corrupt, and I wanted the file to be "fixable".