The Stockfish Graphical Verbal Communication User Interface

The A.R.B Chess System

Aug 4, 2022, 5:41:21 AM8/4/22
to FishCooking
Now that Stockfish is so strong! with the SF15 NNUE version, it would be great to actually understand why? it makes the moves it does.
I am sure everyone would like this function built into Stockfish especially top World class Chess players,to help improve their game play,time and time again when watching Stockfish play you will hear people say "Why did it do that ?'
So the idea I have is to have a Graphical Verbal Communication User Interface,this could be some kind of pop up Window that would show when you start a game,this would then explain in a text form and using computer speech, the reasons why it made the move it just played,this could be combined with a Board output using arrows and text etc. something like below...

"I moved my Bishop from D1 to G4 because of the threat of your Knight on E3 taking my Bishop,which would have reduced my Positional Score by -0.50 and Tactical Score by -0.30,plus my Bishop on G4 Increased my  Positional Score by +0.60 and Tactical Score by +0.50"

The A.R.B Chess System

Dec 13, 2022, 6:36:35 AM12/13/22
to FishCooking
Chessbase.com Steal another one of my ideas which is what this thread is based on...

"For example, when you turn on an engine, any engine, it doesn't just show you possible lines, it gives you an evaluation of the position in words! This makes the program far more comprehensible for players who are just beginning to forge there way in chess, since instead of drowning them numbers and long lines, here everything is spelled out directly in verbal commentary!"

J Muzhen

Dec 20, 2022, 2:12:13 AM12/20/22
to FishCooking
The problem is, most of the time, either the engine itself can't explain its own moves (hence "chess speaks for itself"), or there are just too many factors involved in the search/eval that it's impossible to list each component out.

The A.R.B Chess System

Dec 21, 2022, 5:54:59 AM12/21/22
to FishCooking
But the source code shows how Stockfish calculates it's moves! so it should be possible to make rule of thumb assessments based on it,then it can be linked to other factors like tablebase assessments for the positions etc. etc. there are many ways to understand what is going on,it's just a matter of linking everything together into something where the human explanations shown in text and speech would show how Stockfish is thinking.

A.R.B :)