Stockfish 13

Joost VandeVondele

Feb 19, 2021, 2:28:45 PMFeb 19
to FishCooking

It is our pleasure to release Stockfish 13 to chess fans worldwide. As usual, downloads are freely available at

https://stockfishchess.org

The Stockfish project builds on a thriving community of enthusiasts who contribute their

expertise, time, and resources to build a free and open-source chess engine that is robust,

widely available, and very strong. We would like to thank them all!

The good news first: from now on, our users can expect more frequent high-quality releases of Stockfish! Sadly, this decision has been triggered by the start of sales of the Fat Fritz 2 engine by ChessBase, which is a copy of a very recent development version of Stockfish with minor modifications. We refer to our statement on Fat Fritz 2[1] and a community blog[2] for further information.

This version of Stockfish is significantly stronger than any of its predecessors. Stockfish 13 outperforms Stockfish 12 by at least 35 Elo[3]. When playing against a one-year-old Stockfish, it wins 60 times more game pairs than it loses[4]. This release features an NNUE network retrained on billions of positions, much faster network evaluation code, and significantly improved search heuristics, as well as additional evaluation tweaks. In the course of its development, this version has won the superfinals of the TCEC Season 19 and TCEC Season 20.

Going forward, the Leela Chess Zero and Stockfish teams will join forces to demonstrate our commitment to open source chess engines and training tools, and open data. We are convinced that our free and open-source chess engines serve the chess community very well.

Stay safe and enjoy chess!

The Stockfish team

[1] https://blog.stockfishchess.org/post/643239805544792064/statement-on-fat-fritz-2

[2] https://lichess.org/blog/YCvy7xMAACIA8007/fat-fritz-2-is-a-rip-off

[3] https://tests.stockfishchess.org/tests/view/602bcccf7f517a561bc49b11

[4] https://tests.stockfishchess.org/tests/view/600fbb9c735dd7f0f0352d59

Bryan

Feb 19, 2021, 3:35:56 PMFeb 19
to FishCooking
Thank you Joost for your leadership. And congrats to all the developers for continued creative progress, and thanks to all those donating CPU time.

Pasquale Pigazzini

Feb 19, 2021, 3:48:57 PMFeb 19
to FishCooking
Thank you Joost and SF community :)

Daniel Tran

Feb 19, 2021, 5:22:09 PMFeb 19
to FishCooking
All hail king Fish 13 SabaPing

Ted Wong

Feb 19, 2021, 7:34:12 PMFeb 19
to FishCooking
Great work!

Yery Spark

Feb 20, 2021, 2:45:21 AMFeb 20
to FishCooking
Congratulations and thanks to everyone for the hard work!

On Friday, February 19, 2021 at 8:28:45 PM UTC+1 Joost VandeVondele wrote:
Message has been deleted

Joachim Müller (JojoM)

Feb 20, 2021, 8:03:09 AMFeb 20
to FishCooking
Thank you, Joost, for your outstanding work and your ongoing commitment to our common project. Thanks in particular to all the developers who keep coming up with new ideas and notions every day. Thanks to all the people donating their CPU resources.

I am delighted to hear that LC0 and SF teams will cooperate showing the strength, openness, fairness and scientific approach of open source software development.

Concerning FF2: It's a shocking and indeed sad development, in its blatant and appalling style unprecedented in the history of computer chess. I will never ever spend even so much as one € at this company again.

ani19bd

Feb 20, 2021, 1:42:59 PMFeb 20
to FishCooking
Question to
@ Joost VandeVondele
First of all thank you to you and the SF team for your countless hours of hard work you all provide. As a tournament chess payer, I'm really grateful for it.
My question is, now that SF and Leela Chess has teamed up do we expect future Stockfish version to be a mix between a CPU based and a GPU based Stockfish? And also will the logo of Stockfish change because now Leela Chess is involved?
Thanks.

Yery Spark

Feb 21, 2021, 3:15:58 AMFeb 21
to FishCooking
Btw, Hikaru Nakamura (just broke 1M followers..) dedicated a whole video on the FF2 controversy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojKJn9zFST0

around 25:30 he says he is happy to have someone from the SF team come on stream to talk about this!

Manny S

Feb 22, 2021, 11:18:02 AMFeb 22
to FishCooking
It would be great to see a dedicated SF team put together a GUI that is on par with a Chessbase's. This would eliminate their best/only competitive advantage and possibly nudge them toward eventual irrelevancy/bankruptcy.

abc b

Feb 22, 2021, 3:42:30 PMFeb 22
to FishCooking
That's a very good idea. SF and LC0 team should build a GUI :-)
TCEC is great, clean with lots of informations like evaluation + WDB (WDL) from all Engines.
IDeA should be also available and to run a testsuite should be possible too.
Informations on the board like you can see in the Nibbler gui are needed.
Some 3D Raytracing boards to play on would be great.
And the possibility to run ChessBase dvd training videos is very important due to many different reasons ;-)