May Day at the Manse

Rev. Amy Freedman

May 5, 2017, 2:31:26 PM5/5/17
to First Parish Religious Education

Religious Education News:

  • RE Family Survey
  • What's Happening this Sunday, May 7?
  • May Day at the Manse
  • Parent Circle: “Parenting Children with Special Needs”
  • SNUUYFF (Sunday Night UU Youth Fun & Fellowship), High School Youth Group
  • Mother’s Day Coffee Hour- Multi-age RE Program

RE Family Survey

We are blessed to have an active and committed Religious Education community at First Parish in Concord.  Every week, First Parish is filled with children and families having fun, creating new connections, enjoying long-time friends and embracing our community and our liberal religious tradition.  We want to know more about how you experience First Parish.  Please take 5 minutes to complete the anonymous survey.   https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FDDRGLW

If you have any questions, please call, text or email RE Council Chair, Leslie Pelton Nichol at 781-929-1147 or lpe...@ljpconsult.com.  Thank you!

What's Happening this Sunday, May 7?

Please read below for information about what your child(ren) is exploring this Sunday.

9:45 a.m. – Little RE (0-4yrs)– Lower Level

10:00-11:15 a.m. – Neighboring Faiths—Brooks Room

10:00 a.m. – Worship Service—Sanctuary

Children in Kindergarten through Grade 6 begin in the Sanctuary with their families. Following our Children’s Message, the children leave the Sanctuary with their teachers. Today we have a walking Field Trip with pick-up at the Old Manse between 11:30-11:45am.  Parents of Little RE and Little OWL are asked to pick up their children on the lower level. Older children and youth will be dismissed to Coffee Hour.

10:15-11:15 a.m.- Religious Education Classes

Little OWL–Lower Level

         Neighboring Activists (Grade 6)– Emerson Room

10:15-11:30 a.m. – May Day at the Manse (K-5), walking field trip, pick-up your children between 11:30 - 11:45am at the Old Manse, 269 Monument Street in Concord

11:30-1:00 p.m. – Parent Circle: “Parenting Children with Special Needs”, Wright Tavern, childcare available

7:00-8:30 p.m. – SNUUYFF (Sunday Night UU Youth Fun & Fellowship), High School Youth Group, Parish Hall

Little RE – Lower Level

Teachers: Kristen Ferguson and Catherine Fabio

Teaching Assistants on a rotating schedule:  Talia Aley, Evie Hamor, Olivia Holmes, Rosie Jimenez, Claire Parish-Cowan, Talia Smith, Laura (Nuffi) Wallis

Our youngest children (0-4 years) will play in a caring environment with time for making friends, reading stories, playing outdoors, eating snack, and craft projects. Parents are invited to bring their children to the classroom fifteen minutes before worship service begins (9:45am).

Little OWL—Parlor, 10:15-11:15 a.m.

Teachers: Renee Lloyd and Anne Remington

“Family” is the topic of this week’s class. This Sunday our Children’s Choirs will sing in the service.  So, there will be no early drop-off in the classroom this week.  Following the Children’s Message, children will follow their teachers into the First Parish Parlor. Please pick-up your child at 11:15am.

May Day at the Manse

We’re looking forward to our field trip this Sunday! Please wear comfortable clothes and walking shoes. Following the Children’s Message, Kindergarten, 1st graders (who are not in OWL), 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th graders will walk together to the Old Manse. A Permission Form with more information is attached. Forms can be turned in on Sunday or emailed to Amy in advance: afre...@firstparish.org  A snack of apples, Tostitos and water will be provided. We will hear stories about Thoreau and his friends in this special place.  There will be a Scavenger Hunt and games. OWL Parents: Please note that 1st grade OWL is in session today and will head downstairs following the Children’s Message (no early drop off in the classroom).  Middle OWL does not meet this week.  We hope 5th graders will join the field trip. PICK-UP:  Please pick-up your children at the Old Manse between 11:30 - 11:45am at 269 Monument Street, Concord. Parking is available across the street.

Neighboring Activists: 6th Grade – Emerson Room
Teachers: Jan Goddard-Taylor and Ayres Stiles-Hall

Our sixth graders are putting their values into action! See you soon!

Neighboring Faiths: 7th Grade – Brooks Room
Teachers: Jan Power, Stuart Johnstone and Jen Izzo
This Sunday we will reflect on last week’s guest speaker on cults. We will also prepare for our upcoming visit to
Common Cathedral. If you have any questions, please contact Jan Power: jpo...@gmail.com

Parent Circle: “Parenting Children with Special Needs in our First Parish Community”

Sunday, May 7, 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Wright Tavern

Parent Circles are an opportunity for parents to connect and share with one another in a meaningful way and reflect on parenting from a Unitarian Universalist perspective.  This one is intended for parents of children with special needs -- physical, emotional and learning.  Our Minister of Religious Education, Amy Freedman, will join us for spiritual guidance and support. Childcare will be provided. If possible please let Amy know in advance if you need childcare. Questions? Contact Amy afre...@firstparish.org or Leslie Pelton Nichol: lpe...@ljpconsult.com

SNUUYFF (Sunday Night UU Youth Fun & Fellowship), High School Youth Group

Sunday, May 7, 7:00-8:30 p.m., Emerson Room

Desserts or snacks to share are welcome but not required!

Sean Kavanagh and Donna Vaillancourt, First Parish members, welcomed a Syrian refugee family with five children into their home. Sean will visit SNUUYFF on Sunday evening to share this amazing story and his work to find the Alloh family permanent housing in Carlisle.  Find out more from a TV story: HERE We will explore ways the Youth Group can help.

Mother’s Day Coffee Hour- Multi-age RE Program

Next Sunday, May 14 following the Children’s Message, Kindergartners through sixth graders will meet in the Parish Hall for a special program. Together we will decorate the Parish Hall and prepare refreshments to host a Mother’s Day Coffee Hour for our First Parish community. There will also be an opportunity to write a poem or song for mom (or grandma or a special person in your life) to put in a card and/or perform during an “Open Mic” on the Parish Hall stage. Come join in the fun! 5th graders in Middle OWL will meet on May 14, 10:00-11:15 a.m. in the Wright Tavern.

May Day at the Manse .pdf
This conversation is locked