RE Registation and Teacher Sign-ups Now Open!

Rev. Amy Freedman

May 19, 2017, 2:26:07 PM5/19/17
to First Parish Religious Education

Announcements for Children, Youth and Families:

·      RE Registration and Teacher Sign-ups Now Open!

·      Huckleberry Hunting with Thoreau

·      What’s happening this Sunday, May 21?

·      Supporting Syrian Refugee Family

·      Women’s Wellness Event on Friday June 9, 7:00pm

·      Pilgrimage to Transylvania- April 2018

RE Registration and Teacher Sign-ups Now Open!

New and returning families are encouraged to register children and youth for the 2017-2018 church year.  Our program is year-round but we offer classes by age-group in the Fall, Winter and Spring seasons. Please sign-up today so we can plan and be prepared to welcome your family!

Registration for Children and Youth: Click Here to Register

Our program for children and youth is a cooperative model. We depend on each family signing-up to teach or volunteer to support our RE program.  This year teachers will work in teams and each member will volunteer for eight Sundays across the church year. We hope that this new arrangement will give you more flexibility, and help you develop closer connections to the children and co-teachers. You will receive a follow-up email confirming your assignment.

Volunteer RE Teacher Sign-up: Click Here to Sign-up

Please contact our Assistant Director of Religious Education, Dawn: dvanp...@firstparish.org or our Minister of Religious Education, Amy: afre...@firstparish.org for more information or to explore the possibilities!

Huckleberry Hunting with Thoreau

Did you miss last Sunday’s service?  You can listen to a podcast of Rev. Amy Freedman’s sermon about Thoreau and Religious Education: HERE

What’s happening this Sunday, May 21?

9:45 a.m. – Little RE (0-4yrs)– Lower Level

10:00-11:15 a.m.

Little OWL– Lower Level

Middle OWL– Wright Tavern

Neighboring FaithsBrooks Room

10:00 a.m. – Worship Service

Children in Kindergarten through Grade 6 begin in the Sanctuary with their families. Following our Children’s Message, the children leave the Sanctuary for their classroom with their teachers. All RE classes are held until 11:15am.  Parents of children 0-Grade 3 are asked to pick up their children in their classrooms listed below.  Older children and youth will be dismissed to Coffee Hour.

10:15-11:15 a.m. – Religious Education Classes

         Kindergarten & Grade 1– Lower Level

         Grades 2­– Greeley Room

         Grade 3– Ripley Room

         Grade 4– Emerson Room

         Neighboring Activists (Grade 6)– Chapel

Next Sunday, May 28: All ages are welcome to attend our 10:00 a.m. Worship Service led by our Ministerial Intern, Jan Hutslar.

Little RE – Lower Level

Teacher: Dawn Van Patten

Teaching Assistants on a rotating schedule:  Talia Aley, Evie Hamor, Olivia Holmes, Rosie Jimenez, Claire Parish-Cowan, Talia Smith, Laura (Nuffi) Wallis,

Our youngest children (0-4 years) will play in a caring environment with time for making friends, reading stories, playing outdoors, eating snack, and craft projects. Parents are invited to bring their children to the classroom fifteen minutes before worship service begins (9:45am).

Spirit Play- Kindergarten/1st Grade– Lower Level

Teachers: Mel Jiganti and Ethan Baxter

This week’s lesson is “The Giving Tree”, based on the book by Shel Silverstein.  The story explores the ideas of giving, acceptance, and love.

Little OWL- Grade 1 – Lower Level

Teachers: Renee Lloyd and Anne Remington

This Sunday is the last session of Little OWL.  The class will discuss how babies are born and celebrate our weeks together.

Explorations with Thoreau

Please dress for the weather! We may go outside.
2nd Grade: Greeley Room
Teachers: Amy Rensko and Leanna Walker
3rd Grade: Ripley Room
Teachers: Carolyn Kessel Stewart and Brandon Wilkerson
4th & 5th Grade: Emerson Room
Teachers: Lisa Bennett and Stephanie Liu

Our Spring theme is “Explorations with Thoreau” for Kindergarten, 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders. Any 5th graders who are not enrolled in Middle OWL will be with the 4th Grade class. 2017 marks the 200th anniversary of Henry David Thoreau’s birth. Inspired by our spiritual ancestor, we will spend time outdoors, journaling, walking, connecting with nature and reflecting on our place in it.

Middle OWL– Wright Tavern, 10:00-11:15 a.m.
Teachers: Jeff Brainerd and Lora Venesy

Our focus this Sunday is Communication.  Our discussion will help participants grow more comfortable using accurate sexual terminology and develop effective communication skills.

Neighboring Activists: 6th Grade – Sanctuary, 10:15-11:15 a.m., Chapel
Teachers: Jan Goddard-Taylor and Ayres Stiles-Hall

This Sunday we will have a special guest Julian Henry.  He will share the amazing story of the Alloh family with us.  Julian will also share how our First Parish Youth Group is helping to mobilize support as they settle into their new home in Carlisle.

Neighboring Faiths: 7th Grade –10:00-11:15 a.m., Brooks Room
Teachers: Jan Power, Stuart Johnstone and Jen Izzo

This Sunday will be our wrap-up session for Neighboring Faiths.  What have we learned and experienced together this year? Also, we will discuss our upcoming visit to Common Cathedral, an outdoor church for people experiencing homelessness in downtown Boston.  Questions? Contact Jan: jpo...@gmail.com or 978-764-8569.

Supporting Syrian Refugee Family

Good News!  The Alloh family has secured a new home in Carlisle. The First Parish Youth Group is helping organize some work parties soon.  Would you like to help? Please sign up at Coffee Hour. More information about this amazing story:

Find out more from a TV story: HERE

Video of Sean Kavanagh's Sunday Forum at First Parish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S43S9cQTM3g&feature=youtu.be

Women’s Wellness Event on Friday June 9, 7:00pm
Join us for a special workshop at First Parish about how we, as women, can maintain our sense of balance, hope, and purpose in the midst of everything that is happening in the world today. Let’s get together to take a collective breath and refocus on what’s important in our own lives. We will be joined by two preeminent women’s empowerment coaches – Amy Smalarz and Paula Greico. There will also be healthy smoothies and a yoga meditation.

Pilgrimage to Transylvania- April 2018

We are excited to announce that, in collaboration with our partner congregation in Székelykeresztúr, next April 2018 is the best time for our multigenerational pilgrimage to Transylvania.  The dates are during the school vacation leaving either Thursday or Friday, April 12 or 13 and returning on Monday, April 23, 2018. The cost will be $1800-2200 per person (largely driven by airfares) and we will have the details by fall.  This pilgrimage is open to all, individuals and families alike. A $200 per person or $500 per family deposit is due by June 30, 2017.  Please make checks payable to First Parish in Concord, Memo: Pilgrimage and mail to First Parish in Concord, 20 Lexington Road, Concord, MA 01742 Attn: Pilgrimage. Scholarship assistance is available. If you are interested or have questions, contact Amy: afre...@Firstparish.org.

This conversation is locked