Coming of Age Service

Rev. Amy Freedman

Mar 10, 2017, 9:11:12 AM3/10/17
to First Parish Religious Education

Announcements for Children, Youth and Families:

  • First Parish MNO Game Night
  • What’s happening this Sunday, March 12?
  • Coming of Age Service
  • Yoga with Laura Grundstrom
  • UU Youth Justice Weekend
  • SPRING: Explorations with Thoreau, OWL & more
  • “Grub’s Place” Family Show at First Parish!
  • Family Day at Fruitlands
  • Thoreau Bicentennial Gala Celebration for all ages
  • Make a difference for a Syrian refugee family

First Parish MNO Game Night

Friday, March 10 at 7:30 pm

We’ll end the week together with a fun and relaxing evening of games, food, and drinks.  Feel free to bring your favorite game, snack, or beverage – or just bring yourself!

What’s happening this Sunday, March 12?

Please read below to discover what your child(ren) are exploring this Sunday!

Little RE (0-4yrs) – Lower Level, 9:50 a.m.

Teachers:

Teaching Assistants on a rotating schedule:  Talia Aley, Evie Hamor, Olivia Holmes, Rosie Jimenez, Claire Parish-Cowan, Talia Smith, Laura (Nuffi) Wallis,

Our youngest children (0-4 years) will play in a caring environment with time for making friends, reading stories, playing outdoors, eating snack, and craft projects. Parents are invited to bring their children to the classroom fifteen minutes before worship service begins (9:45am).

Coming of Age Service

Sunday, March 12, 10:00 a.m.

Please note that this is a special service that may be longer than usual.

Our Coming of Age Service will be the culmination of our 9th grade program.  The youth will present their credos, personal statements of belief to our congregation.  This is always a moving rite of passage.  We encourage children who are in the 5th grade and older to attend that service. *High School youth please attend to show your support! All ages are welcome!

Yoga with Laura Grundstrom

Sunday, March 12, 10:15 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.

Following the Children’s Message, there will be a special Yoga session in the Emerson Room for children in Kindergarten through 4th grade who do not wish to stay in the Coming of Age service.  We are delighted to welcome back Laura Grundstrom who is a certified YogaKids teacher.  Some yoga mats will be available.  *If your family has any yoga mats, please bring them to First Parish that morning.  Laura is looking forward to teaching our children and sharing with them her passion for yoga and fun!

UU Youth Justice Weekend

Friday, March 17, 7pm- Sunday, March 19, 9:30am, Winchester Unitarian Society

Join UU Youth of the Northeast region for a weekend of trainings, worship, community bonding, and movement building. Christa can host up to 8 youth and plans to attend with Sophie Kramer. Contact Christa to register or to learn more: ccha...@firstparish.org

SPRING: Explorations with Thoreau, OWL & more

Our Spring theme is “Explorations with Thoreau” for Kindergarten, 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders. 2017 marks the 200th anniversary of Henry David Thoreau’s birth. Organizations throughout Concord—and around the world—will be hosting events to commemorate the occasion.  Inspired by our spiritual ancestor, we will spend time outdoors, journaling, walking, connecting with nature and reflecting on our place in it.  Our Whole Lives (OWL) our comprehensive sexuality program will begin for 1st graders and 5th graders. Our Neighboring Activists (6th grade) will begin creating “PRO-test art”. Neighboring Faiths (7th grade) and 8th grade OWL will continue.  If you have any questions about our Children’s Program, please contact Amy: afre...@firstparish.org

“Grub’s Place” Family Show at First Parish!

Friday, March 31, April 1, 7, and 8, at 7:30 p.m. on the Parish Hall stage

“Grub’s Place” is an original musical for all ages set in an ant colony that explores community life and is enlivened by a praying mantis, irreverent fireflies and a past-her-prime reclusive spider. Turf battles, jealous hearts and prejudice threaten the colony’s survival. “Grub’s Place” is created and performed by First Parish members, written and composed by Jane Blumberg, directed by Francene Amari and produced by Claudia Nimar. The show is entertaining for the whole family! Tickets ($20.00 adults, $10 students) are available online: www.mktix.com/fpuuc or can be purchased at Coffee Hour and through the Church Office: 978-369-9602.

Family Day at Fruitlands

Join Howard, Amy and Dawn for a fun day at Fruitlands located at 102 Prospect Hill Road,
in Harvard,
MA. This outing will be fun for all ages! Discover the Alcott’s 19th century utopian experiment, enjoy the beautiful grounds and explore the other small museums on site.  Learn more: www.fruitlands.org No sign-up needed. We will carpool from First Parish in Concord at 9:30 am.  Our outing will end by 2:00 pm for our return to Concord.  If you wish to meet us at there, you’re also welcome to do so!  Questions? Contact Amy: afre...@firstparish.org

Thoreau Bicentennial Gala Celebration for all ages

Saturday, May 6, 4:00-7:30pm—SAVE THE DATE!

4:00 p.m.  Lecture by historian Jayne Gordon:“Walking, Working, Waking: What was Thoreau Seeking?” in the Sanctuary. Free and open to the public. Childcare available upon request.

5:00 p.m.  Family Trivia Night and Buffet Dinner

Hosted by historical interpreter Richard Smith, as Henry David Thoreau. Family Trivia Night on topics related to Thoreau’s life and work in the Parish Hall. Intergenerational teams of 4 will compete for Thoreau-related prizes before dinner. Buffet Dinner by Comella’s Restaurant. Dessert by Boo’s Creations. (Open to all ages and primarily for members and friends of First Parish. Interested parties are welcome to register and attend as space allows.)

*Advance registration (by May 1) and admission required for Trivia and Dinner. Cash or check payment at the door at Parish Hall after lecture.  $20 per adult; $10 for age 20 and under; $50 per family. Bring your own beverage. Water/cider provided.

Make a difference for a Syrian Refugee Family

Sean and Donna Kavanagh, First Parish members, recently heard of a family of Syrian refugees in a poor housing situation in their community of Carlisle, MA. With very little notice, Sean and Donna welcomed the Alloh family into their home, and have committed to helping them find permanent housing. Please consider a tax-deductible donation to help the Alloh family here:

https://www.plumfund.com/charity-fundraising/dignifiedhousing4Allohfamily

100% of donated funds will go directly to this home project. Feel free to spread the word.

This conversation is locked