First Parish Calendar This Week/Next Week (March 26-April 8)

FirstParishinConcord

Mar 26, 2018, 3:31:10 PM3/26/18
to firstparis...@googlegroups.com

CALENDAR AT A GLANCE
Monday March 26
   7:30 p.m., Women's Book Group
Tuesday March 27
   9:30 a.m., Women's Book Group
   5:00 p.m., SAC Board Meeting
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
   7:00 p.m., Annual Campaign Meeting
Wednesday March 28
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir Rehearsal
Thursday March 29
   11:00 a.m., Maundy Thursday Service
   1:15 p.m., Race Conversations with Kaia Stern
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday March 30
   7:00 p.m., Tenebrae Service
Sunday April 1
   9:00 a.m., Easter Service
   11:00 a.m., Easter Service
Monday April 2
   1:30 p.m., Caregiver Support Group
   1:30 p.m., Photography As Meditation
Tuesday April 3
   1:30 p.m., First Tuesday Group
   5:30 p.m., Transylvania Pilgrimage Potluck
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
   7:00 p.m., Annual Campaign Meeting
Wednesday April 4
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   7:00 p.m., Concord Area Humanists
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir Rehearsal
Thursday April 5
   7:30 p.m., By Your Side Singers
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday April 6
   7:00 p.m., Lunafest
Saturday April 7
   5:00 p.m., Passover Seder
Sunday April 8
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir Rehearsal
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Service
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir
   11:30 a.m., Nominating Committee
   11:30 a.m., Pastoral Care Tea
   12:15 p.m., Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
   5:00 p.m., Guest Speaker Tawakkul Karman
   6:15 p.m., Standing Committee Meeting

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
THIS WEEK (March 26-April 1)
*Women's Book Group
Monday March 26, 7:30 p.m.

The March book for discussion is the novel Commonwealth, by Ann Patchett. All women of First Parish are warmly invited to read the book and join a discussion. There s no need to sign up! If you would like to be added to the Women's Book Group email list, contact Darien Smith at dar...@smithquest.com.

*Women's Book Group
Tuesday March 27, 9:30 a.m.

*SAC Board Meeting
Tuesday March 27, 5:00 p.m.

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday March 27, 6:30 p.m.

*Annual Campaign Meeting
Tuesday March 27, 7:00 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday March 28, 9:30 a.m.
Come explore Buddhism with us Wednesdays from 9:30-11:00 a.m. (or Thursdays from 7:30-9:00 p.m.). Even if you have no previous experience with Buddhism, consider joining one of these groups. A typical session usually starts with some chanting and meditation to help us calm our minds and focus our thoughts. Then, after a brief reading or lecture, we discuss how to apply what we have learned to our daily lives. Questions are always welcome. We are a friendly, welcoming group. Check out a session or two. Contact Bill Seaver at Bill....@gmail.com.

*Adult Choir Rehearsal
Wednesday March 28, 7:45 p.m.

*Maundy Thursday Service
Thursday March 29, 11:00 a.m.
Followed by a Fish Chowder Luncheon
Rev. Howard N. Dana
First Parish Choir

*Race Conversations with Kaia Stern
Thursday March 29, 1:15 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Thursday March 29, 7:30 p.m.

*Tenebrae Service
Friday March 30, 7:00 p.m.
Rev. Howard N. Dana

*Easter Services
Sunday April 1, 9:00 and 11:00 a.m.
Rev. Howard N. Dana
First Parish Choir and Festival Brass

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
NEXT WEEK (April 2-8)
*Caregiver Support Group
Monday April 2, 1:30 p.m.
Are you caring for a family member, an aging parent (perhaps while caring for your own children), an ill spouse, a sibling or a child with physical or mental issues? Whether you are providing direct care or overseeing care at a distance, you dont have to sacrifice yourself in the process. Get support from others while learning new coping skills. We welcome new members to join this ongoing group which meets the afternoon of the first Monday of each month. To learn more, contact Marion Visel, Minister for Pastoral Care, mvi...@firstparish.org or 203-931-5239; or Diane Clapp, dianeb...@gmail.com. Also, call one of them if you are unable to attend Monday afternoon meetings.

*Photography As Meditation
Monday April 2, 1:30 p.m.
Rev. Marion Visel will lead this four session program, Monday afternoons in April, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., on April 2, 9, 16, and 23. Explore photography as a form of meditation practice through accessible contemplative photography and centering/meditation exercises. No experience is required, except knowing how to use your camera or smartphone. Sign up in the front office, or contact Rev. Marion Visel at mvi...@firstparish.org or phone 203-931-5239. This group is limited to 14 participants, and preference is given to those who can attend all 4 sessions.

*First Tuesday Group
Tuesday April 3, 1:30 p.m.
"Play It Again, Sam—Music Around the World." First Tuesday Group (senior focus, but all are welcome) will gather around Jerry Hurley on the piano in the Parish hall on April 3, 1:30-3:00 p.m., and sing songs celebrating foreign countries and cities ("Lady of Spain," "Waltzing Maltida," "I love Paris," etc.). At each stop on our journey, Anne Fortier will lead a quick exercise where participants can share (in a very few words) a personal experience from that stop on our round the world tour. There may well be time for your favorite song to be included, so come prepared to hum a few bars for the piano player! (While our focus is senior affairs, please come if you are interested, whatever your age.)

*Transylvania Pilgrimage Potluck
Tuesday April 3, 5:30 p.m.

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday April 3, 6:30 p.m.

*Annual Campaign Meeting
Tuesday April 3, 7:00 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday April 4, 9:30 a.m.

*Concord Area Humanists
Wednesday April 4, 7:00 p.m.
“Darwin as a person” Hamlin commenced university in 1959 - centennial year of the publication of Charles Darwin’s Origin of Species. Aware of this he studied early life forms, majoring in microbiology. What was Darwin like as a person? We will look at his family life, friendships, his health struggles. What did he believe, and how does his scientific work stand the test of time? We will also discuss Darwin’s links with the United States, including Boston area.

*Adult Choir Rehearsal
Wednesday April 4, 7:45 p.m.

*By Your Side Singers
Thursday April 5, 7:30 p.m.
By Your Side Singers First Parish’s pastorachoir. Through  singing, we offer a musical presence to people seeking comfort and support during times of illness or transition. In our twice monthly meetings we sing gentle songs and chants from our hymnals and other sources. In singing meditation we provide gentle support and comfort to one another. When invited, we visit parishioners’ homes in groups of 3 or 4 singers.

*Buddhist Group
Thursday April 5, 7:30 p.m.

*Lunafest
Friday April 6, 7:00 p.m.
Join us at LUNAFEST, a fundraising film festival by, for, and about women, to benefit women’s reproductive health and cosponsored with Concord Academy in their state-of-theart auditorium. There will be refreshments for purchase and a 50/50 raffle. Tickets, $15 general admission, can be purchased online or at the door. If you’d like to volunteer to help with the event, contact Lora Venesy at ven...@comcast.net

*Passover Seder
Saturday April 7, 5:00 p.m.
Our Passover Seder is a fun and meaningful ritual for all ages! Rev. Amy Freedman is leading our Seder with Dana Snyder-Grant and Zach Roe. Our gathering will include a retelling of the Passover story and a potluck dinner. Whether you have a Jewish background or have never attended a Seder before, you are welcome. Each person is asked to choose a job (setup or serving or cleanup) and to bring one or two items. Sign up online or on the First Parish website. Questions? Contact Dana Snyder-Grant at 978-760-1129 or dana.sny...@gmail.com

*Chalice Choir Rehearsal
Sunday April 8, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir
Sunday April 8, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Service
Sunday April 8, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Howard Dana: "Transylvanian Pilgrimage"
Music: First Parish Choir

*Junior Choir
Sunday April 8, 11:30 a.m.

*Nominating Committee
Sunday April 8, 11:30 a.m.

*Pastoral Care Tea
Sunday April 8, 11:30 a.m.

*Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
Sunday April 8, 11:30 a.m.
"Climate Justice and First Parish." Should First Parish adopt a Climate Justice mission statement? First Parish's Environmental Leadership Team is proposing to do just that. Come learn about the proposed language for our Annual Meeting warrant article. Come hear from UU MassAction staffer Evan Seitz and parishioners from First Parish Bedford involved with civil disobedience actions to stop the West Roxbury fracked gas pipeline.

*Contemporary Vocal Ensemble

Sunday April 8, 12:15 p.m.

*Guest Speaker Tawakkul Karman
Sunday April 8, 5:00 p.m.
Don’t miss a presentation by Tawakkol Karman, the first Arab woman and second Muslim woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize. Ms. Karman is a women’s rights and peace activist. Reception to follow.

*Standing Committee Meeting
Sunday April 8, 6:15 p.m.