KENYA: OGIEK LEADER RECEIVES DEATH THREAT

marcel

Feb 14, 2008, 12:12:01 PM2/14/08
to First Nations Skyvillage
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:25:11 +0000
From: Miriam Ross <m...@survival-international.org>

SURVIVAL INTERNATIONAL PRESS RELEASE

A leader of the Ogiek tribe in Kenya has received a death threat by
telephone. An unknown caller told Mr Mpoiok Kobei, 'We need your head
before Tuesday nineteenth, this month.'

Around a thousand people are thought to have died in Kenya in
violence that followed disputed poll results six weeks ago, and more
than 600,000 have been forced to flee their homes.

Hundreds of Ogiek families have been caught up in the violence and
are among the displaced people. Several young Ogiek have been shot.
Ogiek homes have been burned down, and there have been allegations of
rape of Ogiek women by police.

The Ogiek are one of the few remaining hunter-gatherer peoples in
East Africa. They live in the Mau mountain forest, overlooking the
Rift Valley. They gather honey from beehives which they make from
hollow logs and place in the high branches of the forest trees.

The Ogiek have been struggling for many years to resist eviction from
their forest, and to protect it from settlers, loggers and tea
plantations.

-ENDS-

Mr. Mpoiok Kobei and other Ogiek leaders are available for interview.

For further information contact Miriam Ross on (+44) (0)20 7687 8734
or email m...@survival-international.org

To read this press release online visit
http://www.survival-international.org/news/3076

--

There are many ways you can help tribal peoples defend their rights.
Explore some ideas at http://www.survival-international.org/actnow

We help tribal peoples defend their lives, protect their lands and
determine their own futures.

Survival International
6 Charterhouse Buildings
London EC1M 7ET