DBS-0.375-10La 3/8" (9.525mm) M3 ball studs with 10mm thread

Karl

Oct 30, 2014, 10:49:06 AM10/30/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com
To meet the short term EU ball stud demand (say that three times quickly for tongue twisting fun), Igor and I were curious if others in Europe would be interested. If so, I can send extra ball studs to Igor and he can resell. That way only one package crosses the Atlantic. Holler if you are in Europe and interested.

Michael Stegen

Oct 30, 2014, 11:16:54 AM10/30/14
to Karl, fire...@googlegroups.com
Yes definitely want some. I bought the Team Associated ball studs, linked to in a previous posting from an EU seller, but they are the wrong size.
It is true that they are 10mm, but that's the length of the tread , not the diameter of the ball.

To meet the short term EU ball stud demand (say that three times quickly for tongue twisting fun), Igor and I were curious if others in Europe would be interested. If so, I can send extra ball studs to Igor and he can resell. That way only one package crosses the Atlantic. Holler if you are in Europe and interested.

Armin van der Togt

Nov 1, 2014, 4:10:12 AM11/1/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karl,

I am definitely interested. Count me in for 2 sets.

ICEC

Nov 1, 2014, 8:02:48 AM11/1/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Looks like they will be gone quickly, Karl you only had 4 sets right now ?

One for me, one for Mike and 2 for Armin and they are gone again.

Karl

Nov 2, 2014, 11:28:40 AM11/2/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, November 1, 2014 5:02:48 AM UTC-7, ICEC wrote:
Looks like they will be gone quickly, Karl you only had 4 sets right now ?

One for me, one for Mike and 2 for Armin and they are gone again.

Igor, looks like I will need to order more from Haydn. :)

ICEC

Nov 2, 2014, 1:03:36 PM11/2/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com
I don’t mind to distribute them around here (EU) if there are people wanting them
So you let me know how many you can get your hands on bye the time the rods are printed.
and we will figure something out on them.

Maybe I should hold an extra set for myself too in case I decide to build a second FPD :p

I did order the Prusa I3 to print my remaining parts, hopefully I will have it operational by next weekend (fingers crossed).

Karl

Nov 3, 2014, 10:03:29 AM11/3/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Igor.

All mail seems to be affected by holiday slowness and things are taking a lot longer than normal. I'm not sure I can get more than 4 sets to you right now unless you're willing to wait even longer.  As it is, I'm thinking I may need to order things like PLA for December now even though I'm still waiting for my two PLA reels which are still in transit. I'm sure things will speed up by the new year and be back to normal.

Karl

ICEC

Nov 3, 2014, 10:48:39 AM11/3/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Id say the faster the better. Im expecting to be able to print a few parts by the weekend.
making next week a big progress weeks(hopefully), extrusions should also be here by the end of the week. so yes the sooner I get them the better.

We can always send a second package if thats needed I think.

You think it would be possible to cut the rods in 2 so it has a smaller dimension, so I can also print it in a smaller printer (20x20x20)
some kind of click & lock system orso, or just a bar in the middle ?

If I have my printer running by the end of the week I will want to be trying that too. But not realy good at 3d design with cubify.
Ill have to figure that out still :p

Karl

Nov 3, 2014, 4:12:12 PM11/3/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Igor,

Yes, I think many would like to have a split rod they could screw together. I haven't had time to work on that since I'm working feverishly on the RPiCam tiltable mount, but I think I'll have time later this year.

Karl

David P

Nov 4, 2014, 4:11:57 PM11/4/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, 1-2 sets for me please. :)

Karl

Nov 4, 2014, 9:42:44 PM11/4/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com
David, did you want long effector rods as well? So far I am only sending one set to Igor in Europe.

ICEC

Nov 5, 2014, 5:13:42 PM11/5/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com
@ Mike & Amin

as you guys are already suppose to receive at least the ball studs from me when Karl sends them over ( dont know about extra rods, Karl is printing a set of rod for me)
so its one package over the atlantic.

Now im going to order me some ninja flex rubber feet from Micheal Anton.
and we were discussing extra pairs. Are you guys also intrested in the rubber feet ?

if so I will buy the extra pairs from him, and send them all over once the ball studs are also here.

or anybody else for that matter ( EU area)

Igor

Armin van der Togt

Nov 6, 2014, 9:16:42 AM11/6/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com

Hi Igor,

Yes, if possible, I would also like to have two sets of those. By the way, how do we do this with payment? To whom should I send money, and how much?

Thanks!

Armin

ICEC

Nov 6, 2014, 9:26:38 AM11/6/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Wel I think the mail cost from me to you is at your cost.

And the mail from Karl (rods) and Micheal (feet) we can share up somehow.
Besides that, I dont need to make money from it, as long as im not loosing its all fine with me.

Ill order the 2 sets of rubber feet for you and 1 for me, when there here we go into the paying details etc.
a paypal payment would work easy.

Igor

ICEC

Nov 6, 2014, 4:53:16 PM11/6/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Armin, Mike & David.

I have orderd 10 sets of ballstuds myself from the suplier on Karls advice.
So there will be enough for everybody ,

Me (1) Mike (1) Armin (2) David (1)
so that leaves about 5 set still avaiable for people in the EU region needing them
if you need them let me know

Igor

ICEC

Nov 21, 2014, 1:21:04 PM11/21/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Rubber feet are here .
Still waiting on the ballstuds . When there here you guys will hear from me asap

Igor

David Peters

Nov 21, 2014, 6:12:17 PM11/21/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com

Sounds perfect !!

Thanks, Igor !

ICEC

Nov 22, 2014, 12:24:32 PM11/22/14
to fire...@googlegroups.com

Ok, New Plan

Ball studs have just arrived here. Happy me ( Thanks Karl & Haydn)

@Armin, Mike & David.
So you guys can mail me with what you wanted , and we will sort it out to get them shiped
Let me know

Malte R.

Jan 29, 2015, 7:49:25 PM1/29/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Igor,

do you (or anyone else in Europe?) have a spare set of these ball studs available?

Or do you know a source I could order from?

I am more than happy to pay for the parts + shipping.

Unfortunatel, all the "Kugelkopf" parts, as these are called in German, I could find were significantly smaller - like 3 vor 5mm.

Seems like RC model makers are the only people in need of smaller quantities of similar parts and apparently 9.5 or 10mm diameters are rare in their world :-(

Thanks in advance
Malte

ICEC

Jan 29, 2015, 8:58:30 PM1/29/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Yep, Ive got 2 sets of 13 left

PM me and well figure it out

Igor

Malte R.

Feb 2, 2015, 7:56:10 AM2/2/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi Igor,

I have sent you a private message here but not sure if you got it... There seems to be no way to see sent private messages?

I would appreciate if you could mail me one set (12 ball studs?) and of course I will pay for your expenses + shipping.

If you could please get back to me via E-Mail or Google?

Thanks!

Malte

ICEC

Feb 2, 2015, 8:00:54 AM2/2/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
checking what whent wrong , will reply asap
Igor

ICEC

Feb 2, 2015, 8:52:46 AM2/2/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Mail send to the email you hangout me .
did you get it ?

Igor

Malte R.

Feb 2, 2015, 3:31:17 PM2/2/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Yes, hopefully you received my reply :-)

stonecold Liang

Mar 7, 2015, 12:35:40 PM3/7/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karl and Neil
  I saw this ball stud in the Delta beta kit product shots(https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/firepick/444b9UNJOgw) is different from the 3D model which I download form github, now I decide to update the machine parts like beta kit , can you give me the full dimension of this ball stud, or send the 3d model with stp format to me ? I want to order this ball stud instead of the 5347 ball joint ,thank you.

在 2014年10月30日星期四 UTC+8下午10:49:06,Karl写道:

Karl

Mar 10, 2015, 1:11:44 AM3/10/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Stonecold,

It's a 10mm ball bearing with an 10mm M3 thread.

I think it's actually machined in China.

It's a critical part that I wish was more common.

Justin Bell

Mar 10, 2015, 1:10:21 PM3/10/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Yup, I wish I could find a supplier because the guy selling them is charging a fortune.

spanner888

Mar 11, 2015, 1:18:41 AM3/11/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Any of these close to what you need?

Karl

Mar 11, 2015, 9:34:03 AM3/11/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 10:18:41 PM UTC-7, spanner888 wrote:
> Any of these close to what you need?

Beats me. Page does not have specs. I am inclined to try and epoxy or superglue 10mm ball bearings to 3D effector cups, but I havent had time to test that theory. The mechanical stresses are small, so welding or cnc machining might be overkill. Maybe someone out there can try glue?

Peter Shabino

Mar 11, 2015, 10:18:21 AM3/11/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
What is the cost of the current ball studs?

My projects:
http://www.wire2wire.org/

> Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 06:34:03 -0700
> From: ka...@firepick.org
> To: fire...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: [FirePick] Re: DBS-0.375-10La 3/8" (9.525mm) M3 ball studs with 10mm thread

> On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 10:18:41 PM UTC-7, spanner888 wrote:
> > Any of these close to what you need?
> >

> Beats me. Page does not have specs. I am inclined to try and epoxy or superglue 10mm ball bearings to 3D effector cups, but I havent had time to test that theory. The mechanical stresses are small, so welding or cnc machining might be overkill. Maybe someone out there can try glue?

Karl

Mar 11, 2015, 7:36:50 PM3/11/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 7:18:21 AM UTC-7, Wire wrote:
What is the cost of the current ball studs?

I'll defer to Neil on pricing PFDball studs. Just search Amazon for 10mm ball studs and you'll get the idea. The actual price depends on supply/demand. I have some on hand for prototyping but I haven't bought a batch recently.

stonecold Liang

Mar 12, 2015, 12:03:32 PM3/12/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Karl, I search this ball studs for a long time but no standard parts that have a nearly 10mm ball and M3  thread , supplyer told me ,this must custom order,so I must confirm the dimension

在 2015年3月10日星期二 UTC+8下午1:11:44,Karl写道:

Karl

Mar 12, 2015, 1:49:30 PM3/12/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Stonecold, yes these are definitely custom. I think Neil is buying them in bulk, so currently the best and most reliable FPD source of the ball studs is actually Neil. This is important from a quality perspective because the ball studs are custom and it's possible for an entire lot to be badly machined (this has actually happened). By going through Neil, he can negotiate with the manufacturer to establish consistent quality for all of us. I know it might be a bit strange to have them manufactured in China, sent to Neil and then mailed back to you, but that would ensure you get the part you need that works.

felix....@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2015, 2:01:03 PM3/12/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stonecold, I work with Neil...let's talk directly through email so we can figure out a way that we can help you get those.

stonecold Liang

Mar 21, 2015, 11:55:07 AM3/21/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi Felix
I'm waiting your email,waiting your help of getting the ball studs
thanks!

在 2015年3月13日星期五 UTC+8上午2:01:03,Felix Banuchi写道:

felix....@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2015, 6:33:25 PM3/21/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stonecold,

My apologies for the sporadic delays lately. We've been traveling to attend a RepRap conference in the Midwest. I sent you a reply last night to your email.

Did you get that reply?

-fb

stonecold Liang

Mar 23, 2015, 10:09:58 AM3/23/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi Felix
I'm sorry for trouble you.I have checked my mail box ,but no reply found, if you are busy now, I will wait here until you are free.
thank you!

在 2015年3月22日星期日 UTC+8上午6:33:25,Felix Banuchi写道:

Karl

Mar 23, 2015, 11:24:04 AM3/23/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Stonecold,

Would you be interested in an epoxied 3/8" ball bearing design?
The ball studs are very nice, but seem to be difficult to source.
If you are interested, you and I could spend some time designing and testing
the parts for epoxied ball bearings for FPD. I have no idea if they
will work, but it might be fun to try.

felix....@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2015, 11:57:37 AM3/23/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
We have some coming in this week.  Actually most of the problem was that I’ve been living out of a bag for the last few days at the RepRap Festival.  Getting back up to speed shortly…

-fb

stonecold Liang

Apr 6, 2015, 10:18:18 AM4/6/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karl
I am interested in trying to your new design, I hope I can contribute my ability in this point

在 2015年3月23日星期一 UTC+8下午11:24:04,Karl写道:

Karl

Apr 6, 2015, 11:04:06 AM4/6/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Stonecold,

I don't yet have a new design for glued-on ball bearings, but I'll put that work on my priority list. Right now I'm focused on getting FPD to move quickly and smoothly using PH quintics. But once that's settled, I'll have to work on this with you.

:D

ric...@hornbaker.com

Apr 9, 2015, 11:34:26 PM4/9/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi, team.

Hopefully my first post to the group will be a useful one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141535792295 - USD$10 for (16) 10mm steel balls with M4x0.7 threaded socket
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141543306936 - USD$4 for (12) M4x0.7 20mm "grub" studs

These balls are mirror-polished and hold strongly to a magnet.  The sample I measured was 10.02mm.  The thread in the ball sinks 7mm in, so these studs have 13mm protruding for mounting.  I received them in the US 10 days after ordering.  I can't comment on how perfectly spherical they are.

Since the item pages will eventually expire, here's a link to find them on their eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/hksupport/?_dmd=2&_nkw=%28%22threaded+steel+ball%22%2Cgrub%29

For magnets, I buy from Applied Magnetics (http://www.magnet4less.com) - their prices are good, and they provide detailed specs.  What I don't know is how strong the magnets should be for this application, to be effective without causing too much friction.  Here are some that I've bought for testing (which will be quite a while):

They also sell countersunk magnets, but I'm not so keen on them because that'd be a metal-metal contact that will wear.  Plus, they're much weaker.

I'm thinking that I will turn some rod ends out of Delrin on a machining lathe and use a 10mm ball-end mill bit to form the ball recess, then sink the magnet from the opposite side so it's just shy of touching the ball.  I'm also considering whether to use a slightly undersized ball-end mill so the ball actually only contacts the socket on the rim (for less friction), then put grease in the gap behind the ball.  It will be trial & error.

Cheers,
Richard

Karl

Apr 10, 2015, 7:05:08 PM4/10/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Richard.

Stonecold, I know you're waiting for a solution, and Richard's link might do it for you. The M4 holes are not M3, but you could gently enlargen the M3 effector holes and use an M4 rod. Perhaps you could give that a try?

:D

stonecold Liang

May 3, 2015, 10:05:41 AM5/3/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
I'm back,It's hard to go through the Wall recently,thank you for Richard's information, and these parts are easy purchase in China as Kossel printer's parts, and I try magnets with ball a long time ago for my kossel printer, maybe the material is not good, the ball will wear out

在 2015年4月11日星期六 UTC+8上午7:05:08,Karl写道:

ric...@hornbaker.com

May 3, 2015, 7:17:06 PM5/3/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Stonecold,
I would expect a metal ball to wear if it rubs directly against the magnet.
The technique I intend is making a rod end socket in Delrin / acetyl that is the size of the ball, then on the opposite side, recess a strong magnet that sits 0.1mm away.
So the ball never contacts the magnet, and the ball should glide well on the smooth Delrin surface, maybe with a little lubricant. Not having the magnet touch the ball makes for a weaker magnetic bond, which is why I'm trying a stronger magnet. 0.375" dia, 7-pound magnets; N52, I recall. I've also got longer and shorter magnets for a range of strengths to test.

ric...@hornbaker.com

May 7, 2015, 2:47:05 AM5/7/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Stonecold.

For what it's worth, here are drawings of the Delrin ends I was describing.  You're welcome to the CAD files if they're useful.  I'm planing to mill them (to be as smooth as possible), but you could probably 3D print them just fine.

The idea is that the magnet will insert into the hole in the back, and sit very close to the ball socket.  The upper drawing is for a 20x18mm carbon fiber tube, and it inserts inside the tube end.  The lower drawing is for a 3/8" rod, and fits over the end of the rod.

Cheers,
Richard

ric...@hornbaker.com

Jun 11, 2015, 3:45:10 AM6/11/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Neil / Felix / Karl,

How might I buy a set of the ball studs being used in your kits?

I've fabricated the above magnetic joint design, and I'm really impressed with the results. It's got a pretty strong, low-friction hold, and I think they might be an interesting add-on for FPD owners.

At the moment I've been using the 10mm balls I pointed to earlier in this thread, but I'd be interested in revising & testing for the 3/8" balls you've been shipping.

Cheers,
Richard

Reef Morse

Jun 11, 2015, 10:57:30 AM6/11/15
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Contact Haydn Huntley (replyto-...@plus.google.com).  He responds quickly and has a bunch of these last time I asked.

Reef

Gaurav Singh

Dec 4, 2016, 12:09:41 PM12/4/16
to FirePick
Hello,

                 What does DBS-0.375 stands for?Also What is the dimension of hexagonal platform below ball?

Karl

Dec 4, 2016, 1:15:56 PM12/4/16
to FirePick
Hi, Gaurav! Welcome to FirePick.

It's been a while since I looked at the ball studs. I think they are 10mm diameter. That 0.375 is, I think the inch equivalent.

We should warn you that FirePick Delta is an extremely challenging design whose mastery still eludes us. We are currently blocked on fast and precise movement. Although we can achieve precise movement, we cannot beat cartesian machine speeds with the current FPD 3D-printed mechanical joints. We have plans to address these issues (MechaDuino, magnetic ball joints, epoxied ball bearings, etc.), but have not had opportunity to investigate in depth. Many of us are working on Cartesian PnP machines for immediate needs and left FPD as a future opportunity to pursue should these challenges be overcome.

If your goals are immediate DIY PnP, you will find great support from the OpenPnP newsgroup. Those of us who remain here are highly stubborn and optimistic and somewhat slow on results. :D