Success, Smoothie2 driving the X-Axis of my FirePick Delta using watterott.com SilentStepStep TMC2130 at 256 microsteps !

Douglas Pearless

Oct 9, 2016, 1:48:04 AM10/9/16
to fire...@googlegroups.com, Arthur Wolf, Jim Morris
Hi Team,

As part of my journey to get my FirePick Delta calibration routines written, I needed to move to a CortexM4 to get proper floating point.

So that put me on a bit of a journey as Smoothie2, which uses a LPC4330 M4+M0 dual core processor, is still under development.

To that end I have:
  • Started writing the drivers to enable three www.watterott.com SilentStepStep TMC2130 (at 256 microsteps) drivers to power my FirePick’s 400 step, stepper motors (yes that is 102,400 microsteps per revolution)
  • I need to extend this to all three motors and later;
  • Add a lot of fancy features that the TMC2130 supports (but not yet!);
  • I must get the end-stops code working,
  • Port some of the later Smoothie1 step generation code as it fixes some timing issues, then
  • I can tackle the Z-Probing and then I can write my drivers for my triple axis Z height probes and finally I implement the algorithm to calibrate the FirePick (Whew!!!)

Here is a link to a video showing my FirePick Delta running at 102400 microsteps per revolution :-)

https://youtu.be/7YAyC6qikQs

Cheers
Douglas

Karl

Oct 9, 2016, 11:07:51 AM10/9/16
to FirePick, wolf....@gmail.com, mor...@wolfman.com
Douglas, I am totally envious of your progress. :D

Congratulations on the TMC2130 work with Smoothie. That is an INSANE number of microsteps. FireStep actually can't cope with that many because it uses shorts for position. Shouldn't be a problem with Smoothie, though.

My MechaDuinos arrived and I am eager to try them out in my FPD, but our floors are getting refinished and it's starting to rain, so major pandemonium at our house with my FPD in storage. At this point I've been reduced to working on software alone, so I am plugging away at jspcb, which is a new Javascript library for reading various board formats. I'm wrapping up Eagle BRD support this week. I'll probably need to bug you about Kicad formats since I think you did the Kicad for OpenPnP in Java?

Douglas Pearless

Oct 9, 2016, 2:03:22 PM10/9/16
to fire...@googlegroups.com, wolf....@gmail.com, mor...@wolfman.com
Hi Karl,

I now have all 3 motors working, but endstops are broken.

With the TMC2130 it can pretty much replace the mechaduinos which is a goal of mine, and much more.

I wrote the Eagle PCB import into OpenPnP not KiCAD 😄

Sent from my iPhone

Karl

Oct 9, 2016, 5:04:22 PM10/9/16
to FirePick
D'oh🙈. I will look at your Eagle implementation then. Thanks!

And it looks like we are heading towards some very interesting FPD driver tests with your Smoothie, Mechaduino, FireMC/Pi3 and Silientstepstick 2100. Whee😀

Douglas Pearless

Oct 9, 2016, 5:32:02 PM10/9/16
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Yes!

Once I have Smoothie2 to the point where the calibration routines are in place, it will be interesting to see what happens!

Sent from my iPhone

> On 10/10/2016, at 10:04 AM, Karl <ka...@firepick.org> wrote:
>
> D'oh🙈. I will look at your Eagle implementation then. Thanks!
>
> And it looks like we are heading towards some very interesting FPD driver tests with your Smoothie, Mechaduino, FireMC/Pi3 and Silientstepstick 2100. Whee😀

Peter Betz

Oct 12, 2016, 7:43:24 PM10/12/16
to FirePick
Exciting stuff you guys!!