interesting development

Roy Nielsen

Mar 13, 2017, 9:22:31 PM3/13/17
to fire...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if this might work - possibly with ROS to control the firepick . . . nice that it has jtag support.

Regards,
-Roy

Michael Anton

Mar 13, 2017, 9:31:31 PM3/13/17
to FirePick
Sure, if we could ever figure out how to calibrate the FPD, and get rid of all of the error sources...

Karl

Mar 14, 2017, 2:35:01 PM3/14/17
to FirePick
Cool board. Agree with Michael.

Currently testing neural net and genetic algorithms for FPD calibration. Beastly complicated.

Roy Nielsen

Mar 14, 2017, 2:48:34 PM3/14/17
to fire...@googlegroups.com
So, has everyone given up except the most die hard?

Thanks,
-Roy

Joshua Pritt

Mar 14, 2017, 2:54:22 PM3/14/17
to fire...@googlegroups.com
I'll never give up!  I will keep helping as much as possible!

Karl

Mar 14, 2017, 3:12:52 PM3/14/17
to FirePick
Yes. It's hard. But I'm not dead yet.

Douglas Pearless

Mar 14, 2017, 4:47:46 PM3/14/17
to fire...@googlegroups.com
Hmm,

Maybe I should come a wee bit out of Stealth mode and share that I am slowly working on a Raspberry Pi + FPGA implementation for real-time motor control (and also has a OpenCV camera interface) and a port of Smoothie.  It will also be possible for Karl to control all of the real-time stuff via PERL, provided the source system can keep up…

This gets rid of those seriously underpowered ARM processors for real-time work where they simply run out of computing horsepower to do all the stuff we want...

Cheers
Douglas

Karl

Mar 14, 2017, 7:09:46 PM3/14/17
to FirePick
:o

Rich Obermeyer

Mar 17, 2017, 7:19:39 PM3/17/17
to FirePick
@Douglas,
Curious why you didn't go with a Zynq type solution ranther than Rasp PI.
I assume you are thinking the FPGA can handle the stepper motors.
What else can the FPGA do for you in this APP?

I invested in snickerdoodle some time back and its about to ship!

Its tiny, powerful and has lots more IO than you would ever need for this.
Wondering if it would be a better choice than trying to kludge up an FPGA to a Rasp PI.
I have a Rasp PI driving my SeemeCNC Delta 3D printer already using AstroPrint.
Would be very cool to have the 2 functions combined.
I use wireless to drive it now.

Anyway looking for your feedback on pros and cons you went through.

Charles Steinkuehler

Mar 27, 2017, 10:43:29 AM3/27/17
to fire...@googlegroups.com
On 3/14/2017 3:47 PM, Douglas Pearless wrote:
> Hmm,
>
> Maybe I should come a wee bit out of Stealth mode and share that I am slowly
> working on a Raspberry Pi + FPGA implementation for real-time motor control (and
> also has a OpenCV camera interface) and a port of Smoothie. It will also be
> possible for Karl to control all of the real-time stuff via PERL, provided the
> source system can keep up…
>
> This gets rid of those seriously underpowered ARM processors for real-time work
> where they simply run out of computing horsepower to do all the stuff we want...

Are you aware Machinekit runs on Soc+FPGA parts from Xilinx and
Altera. It incorporates the open-source Mesa.net FPGA motion control
code:

https://github.com/machinekit/mksocfpga

...on top of the Machinekit HAL and hard-real-time layers. There's
also a full gcode and CNC stack, but you can pretty easily port
whatever you want to run on top of the real-time layer.

I've also made an adapter card that lets you hook any of the Mesa DB25
daughter boards to a Terasic DE0-Nano-Soc:

http://blog.machinekit.io/2016/11/you-will-recall-that-while-back-charles.html

--
Charles Steinkuehler
cha...@steinkuehler.net

Karl

Mar 27, 2017, 10:51:53 AM3/27/17
to FirePick
Charles, thanks for the MachineKit link. I will rely on that for firenodejs inspiration. :D

Douglas Pearless

Mar 27, 2017, 3:26:24 PM3/27/17
to fire...@googlegroups.com
I was not aware of this 😄