Firefox 3.6

NickB

Mar 18, 2010, 4:31:41 AM3/18/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
Hello

I've been using POW for a few months in a relatively simple way - sjs
pages and sqlite db with sql "stored procedures" in the file system. I
also use SQLite Manager. POW has been a joy to use and has performed
really well. The main application I've written is a student admin
system for a language school - and I'm now watching the clock tick
down to the end of Mozilla support for Firefox 3.5 in August. I've
already had to roll back a new pc from ff 3.6 to be able to install
the pow addon but would prefer to run with ff 3.6.

So to the question: is there a new version of POW compatible with ff
3.6 in the pipeline?

Thanks

Scott Wickham

Mar 29, 2010, 12:05:15 AM3/29/10
to firef...@googlegroups.com
If you are not using the most advanced features you can use the stand
alone xulrunner version until
Dave has time to update for 3.6.

That way you can use 3.6 for your web browser and still have pow to use.

http://davidkellogg.com/wiki/Main_Page

Pow 0.1.3 Stand alone XULRunner Version

Windows Installer http://www.scottwickham.com/dr/pow_0.1.3_win32_xulrunner.exe

Mac Installer http://davidkellogg.com/pub/pow_osx_013.tgz

> --

Scott Wickham

Dave

Mar 29, 2010, 12:37:08 AM3/29/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
It's done. I upped the maximum version number at Mozilla, and it is
working in my FF 3.6. I think at worst, you might uninstall, but the
update might just show up upon restarting the browser.

Dave

droo

Apr 1, 2010, 1:49:27 PM4/1/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
> It's done. I upped the maximum version number at Mozilla, and it is
> working in my FF 3.6. I think at worst, you might uninstall, but the
> update might just show up upon restarting the browser.

hey dave,

i see 3.6* on the moz site, although i'm not sure that the * means :)

but that install (0.1.9) isn't working for me on OSX 10.6.2 w/ FF
3.6.2. it will install it, and in the Add-Ons pane is shows up, but
the preference button does not function and it shows in the pane as
enabled (since the disabled button is showing), but the text is greyed
out like a disabled extension. i uninstalled all other extensions and
uninstalled and reinstalled POW with no luck.

let me know if i'm doing anything wrong. i love the extension btw, sjs
is weird but fun. i made a local version of my website/service for
people to use. but i built it all with FF 3.5.x and only realized when
i had a friend try it that 3.6 was a no go, you can check it out
here.. http://crazedlist.org/loco/

cheers
droo

Dave

Apr 4, 2010, 12:51:41 PM4/4/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
Firefox changed their ways again. I'll put a fix in for this as soon
as possible.

Dave

On Apr 1, 10:49 am, droo <d...@odometer.org> wrote:
> > It's done. I upped the maximum version number at Mozilla, and it is
> > working in my FF 3.6. I think at worst, you might uninstall, but the
> > update might just show up upon restarting the browser.
>
> hey dave,
>

> i see 3.6* on the moz site, although i'm not sure that the * means :)https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3002

Andrew Payne

Apr 4, 2010, 4:29:48 PM4/4/10
to firef...@googlegroups.com
thanks, it is very much appreciated!

cheer
andrew

> --

> Plain Old Webserver Docs are at: http://davidkellogg.com/wiki/Main_Page

Dave

Apr 4, 2010, 6:27:26 PM4/4/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
This worked for me on FF 3.6.2.

http://davidkellogg.com/pub/pow.xpi

Try it, and if it works beyond my browser, I'll post this version on
the Mozilla site.

Dave

On Apr 4, 1:29 pm, Andrew Payne <d...@odometer.org> wrote:
> thanks, it is very much appreciated!
>
> cheer
> andrew

Andrew Payne

Apr 4, 2010, 6:58:00 PM4/4/10
to firef...@googlegroups.com

great I will test it by tonight and let you know.

thx
andrew

Andrew Payne

Apr 4, 2010, 10:20:16 PM4/4/10
to firef...@googlegroups.com
hey dave,

works great, the only hitch was that that install didn't set the mime type for css files. once i set it it worked great.

thx!
andrew

kd

Apr 7, 2010, 6:03:46 AM4/7/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
There appear to be a couple of odd things about this version 0.2.
Firstly, as noted there's no mime type for css, also apparently not
for png either.

Secondly, I've got code that looks something like this:

<?sjs pow_include('lib/get_tags.js') ; ?>
<?sjs pow_include('lib/get_collections.js'); ?> ...

The first call to pow_include works fine (as with version 0.19). The
second call just includes the server side js in the code. If I
comment out the first one, the second one still doesn't work -
possibly because it includes a recursive function.

The code in question is available at http://github.com/singingfish/zotero-browser
(sourced in annotated/index.sjs) but it is also dependent on the
firefox extension zotero (http://zotero.org).

It all works fine in version 0.19 under firefox version 3.5 by the
way.

Doug Yeager

Apr 22, 2010, 2:41:31 PM4/22/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
I am on FF 3.63, (on Windows XP) and after installing & restart, when
I hit "options" in the Add-ons for POW 0.1.9 the dialogue locks up.
(I am still able to use firefox, but the add-ons dialogue is frozen).
I have no "POW" listing in the tools menu either.
(I am trying to use Kieren Diment's zotero browser).
doug

Kieren Diment

Apr 22, 2010, 6:09:11 PM4/22/10
to firef...@googlegroups.com
You'll have to downgrade to Firefox 3.5.9 for now I'm afraid.

Doug Yeager

Apr 23, 2010, 9:50:53 AM4/23/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
oh drat. I guess I will have to learn how to do one of those self-
contained USB flash drive installs of Firefox.
- but I really look forward to checking out the work you have done :)

Dave

Apr 25, 2010, 11:19:59 PM4/25/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
Try

http://davidkellogg.com/pub/pow.xpi

This is the version I sent for review for FF 3.6. It should be more
widely available soon.

Dave

On Apr 23, 6:50 am, Doug Yeager <d...@dougyeager.com> wrote:
> oh drat.     I guess I will have to learn how to do one of those self-
> contained USB flash drive installs of Firefox.
>  - but I really look forward to checking out the work you have done :)
> doug

Doug Yeager

Apr 29, 2010, 1:42:40 PM4/29/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
I installed this, but POW won't start.
I am getting the messages:
2010-04-29 13:37:37 chrome://pow/content/pow.js 508:
POW.pow_server.serv is null
2010-04-29 13:39:33 chrome://pow/content/pow-prefs.js 94:
pow_bc_get_random_number is not defined

any thoughts?
doug

On Apr 25, 11:19 pm, Dave <dakel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Try
>
> http://davidkellogg.com/pub/pow.xpi
>
> This is the version I sent for review for FF 3.6. It should be more
> widely available soon.
>
> Dave

Dave

Apr 30, 2010, 4:08:36 AM4/30/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
I uploaded a new version for the pow_bc_get_random_number problem. The
first like is due to POW refusing to shut down, or it never started.
Mine is working. I guess you tried to toggle the server?

Dave

On Apr 29, 10:42 am, Doug Yeager <d...@dougyeager.com> wrote:
> I installed this, but POW won't start.
> I am getting the messages:
> 2010-04-29 13:37:37 chrome://pow/content/pow.js 508:
> POW.pow_server.serv is null
> 2010-04-29 13:39:33 chrome://pow/content/pow-prefs.js 94:
> pow_bc_get_random_number is not defined
>
> any thoughts?
> doug
>
> On Apr 25, 11:19 pm, Dave <dakel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Try
>
> >http://davidkellogg.com/pub/pow.xpi
>
> > This is the version I sent for review for FF 3.6. It should be more
> > widely available soon.
>
> > Dave

Doug Yeager

Apr 30, 2010, 9:20:53 AM4/30/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
still no go.
I uninstalled, and went into the firefox profile and deleted the POW
directory, then reinstalled from http://davidkellogg.com/pub/pow.xpi

when firefox restarts, the icon lower right is red for several
seconds, and then turns grey.
The error.txt file reports:
2010-04-30 09:11:38 chrome://pow/content/pow-prefs.js 95:
pow_bc_set_unique_userid is not defined

if I try to toggle it ON, the following are added:
2010-04-30 09:11:39 chrome://pow/content/pow-prefs.js 95:
pow_bc_set_unique_userid is not defined
2010-04-30 09:13:02 chrome://pow/content/pow.js 508:
POW.pow_server.serv is null

The UI for the options comes up, but the buttons are inoperative.

Could this be a firewall issue? I run AVG free and am using the
Windows Firewall at the moment (I threw out ZoneAlarm for its habit of
creating huge log files).

Dave

Apr 30, 2010, 10:48:33 PM4/30/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
I took care of a few more errors. See if the latest version works.
Your setup is different than mine, so I have not seen these bugs
directly.

Dave

On Apr 30, 6:20 am, Doug Yeager <d...@dougyeager.com> wrote:
> still no go.
> I uninstalled, and went into the firefox profile and deleted the POW
> directory, then reinstalled fromhttp://davidkellogg.com/pub/pow.xpi
>
> when firefox restarts, the icon lower right is red for several
> seconds, and then turns grey.
> The error.txt file reports:
> 2010-04-30 09:11:38 chrome://pow/content/pow-prefs.js 95:
> pow_bc_set_unique_userid is not defined
>
> if I try to toggle it ON, the following are added:
> 2010-04-30 09:11:39 chrome://pow/content/pow-prefs.js 95:
> pow_bc_set_unique_userid is not defined
> 2010-04-30 09:13:02 chrome://pow/content/pow.js 508:
> POW.pow_server.serv is null
>
> The UI for the options comes up, but the buttons are inoperative.
>
> Could this be a firewall issue?  I run AVG free and am using the
> Windows Firewall at the moment (I threw out ZoneAlarm for its habit of
> creating huge log files).

Doug Yeager

May 1, 2010, 12:17:37 PM5/1/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
Yeah! you da' man Dave! It now stays on. Now to play :)

for what it is worth, the log file still shows an error:
chrome://pow/content/server.js 543: pow_session_end is not defined

thanks for everything - this is cool stuff.
doug

Doug Yeager

May 1, 2010, 12:43:43 PM5/1/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
well, almost. When I activate it and go to POW Home, it displays
the directory of htdocs. It is able to GET all of these files
(display).

but as soon as I try to execute an sjs file (hello world), it locks up
the browser (does not display anything, and no CPU cycles consumed).
It does continue to throw the pw_session_end not defined error.

if it would be helpful, I would be glad to share my desktop with you
doug
doug(at) dougyeager.com

Dave

May 2, 2010, 5:02:49 AM5/2/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
I uploaded a new version. This one should also get rid of a cpu drain.

Dave

On May 1, 9:43 am, Doug Yeager <d...@dougyeager.com> wrote:
> well, almost.    When I activate it and go to POW Home, it displays
> the directory of htdocs.  It is able to GET all of these files
> (display).
>
> but as soon as I try to execute an sjs file (hello world), it locks up
> the browser (does not display anything, and no CPU cycles consumed).
> It does continue to throw the pw_session_end not defined error.
>
> if it would be helpful, I would be glad to share my desktop with you
> doug
> doug(at) dougyeager.com

Kieren Diment

May 2, 2010, 6:13:24 AM5/2/10
to firef...@googlegroups.com
I just tested the new version on OS X 10.6.3, FF 3.6 and the server wouldn't start at all.

Dave

May 9, 2010, 1:35:47 AM5/9/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
I uploaded a new version. It worked on my machine. Give it a try.

Dave

Doug Yeager

May 11, 2010, 7:05:50 PM5/11/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
negative. I uninstalled and deleted the POW directory before
reinstalling from http://davidkellogg.com/pub/pow.xpi

the POW Server status is 'up' (the icon is red)
but the error.txt log file has this entry:
2010-05-11 18:58:46 chrome://pow/content/io.js 1439: pdb is
undefined

there are signs of life: if I enter the address: http://localhost:6670/LICENSE.txt
it displays the license.txt file, and the access.txt log includes
the entry
2010-05-11 18:44:48 127.0.0.1 GET 200 OK /pow/htdocs/
LICENSE.txt

but if I enter: http://localhost:6670/test.sjs
I get a 404 not found
2010-05-11 18:58:54 127.0.0.1 GET 404 Not Found /pow/htdocs/
test.sjs
(I tried it with test.sjs in the pow and pow/htdocs

I am on XP/ Firefox 3.6.3
doug

Dave

May 12, 2010, 12:03:32 AM5/12/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
It is working on my Mac, FF 3.6.3. Can anyone else confirm it works or
not? I added test.sjs, and it found it.

Dave

On May 11, 4:05 pm, Doug Yeager <d...@dougyeager.com> wrote:
> negative.  I uninstalled and deleted the POW directory before
> reinstalling fromhttp://davidkellogg.com/pub/pow.xpi
>
> the POW Server status is 'up' (the icon is red)
>    but the error.txt log file has this entry:
>        2010-05-11 18:58:46 chrome://pow/content/io.js 1439: pdb is
> undefined
>
> there are signs of life:  if I enter the address:http://localhost:6670/LICENSE.txt
>    it displays the license.txt file, and the access.txt log includes
> the entry
>        2010-05-11 18:44:48 127.0.0.1 GET 200 OK /pow/htdocs/
> LICENSE.txt
>
> but if I enter:  http://localhost:6670/test.sjs
>    I get a 404 not found
>       2010-05-11 18:58:54 127.0.0.1 GET 404 Not Found /pow/htdocs/
> test.sjs
> (I tried it with test.sjs in the pow and pow/htdocs
>
> I am on XP/ Firefox 3.6.3
> doug

Kieren Diment

May 12, 2010, 12:08:51 AM5/12/10
to firef...@googlegroups.com
I'll try later on.

HOTmike

Jun 24, 2010, 8:45:17 AM6/24/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
I just upgraded my system to LINUX Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) which comes FF
3.6.3 already installed. I found that pow 0.2.2 (the one I grabbed
from /pub/pow.xpi) kinda works, but not enough so to be usable.

Mostly, what it misses is the ability choose listen port and root dir.
It showing up in menus or as icon in the bottom/right would be great,
but not essential for a test build; the options are easily available
from the FF plugins box.

Since Firefox lower than 3.6.3 simply isn't available for Ubuntu 10.04
I would put forth that this has become a matter of some urgency.

Okay, I did manange to get my hands on a 5.9.7 package from a third-
party server's archives, but, sheesh, what a hazzle; not something a
novice user would come by.

So, please, Dave. Could you allocate the time to make this work?

Omar Vasquez Lima

Jun 24, 2010, 11:35:35 AM6/24/10
to firef...@googlegroups.com
Try POW 0.2.0 it works for me with Linux Mint 9 and FF 3.6.3

--
Omar Vasquez Lima
Venezuela

HOTmike

Jun 24, 2010, 1:20:11 PM6/24/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
Thanx. Works like a charm.

um... and apologies...
went in search of where to find v:0.2.0 - hadn't occurred to me to
just scroll all down on the firefox add-ons page for 'other versions'.

So, ask a stupid question and learn a bunch more than just the answer
you get. Life should be like that more often.

~ Mike