Would Like to Use POW, but cannot get it started

Claus

Oct 18, 2010, 6:11:22 PM10/18/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
I have been trying to get started with POW for a couple of weeks now.
I would really like to use for an app I have already written, in it I
have a need for both reading and writing data to the user's computer.

I first downloaded 0.2.1, but when that did not respond, I uninstalled
and went with 0.2.0. That loaded fine and I was able to do some basic
stuff, like running the test.sjs "Hello World", also I was able to
read a file.

Then I tried both writing a text file as well as doing the sql
database write neither worked for me.

Are the snippets of sample code stand alone or do they require
additional code to make them work?

Also it seems when the code will not execute the browser hangs.

As I am not able to get FF 3.5.9 or older, is there still work being
done on POW to get it certified by Mozilla for FF 3.6 on a window's XP
platform?

Jim

Oct 19, 2010, 5:30:13 PM10/19/10
to firef...@googlegroups.com
I'm running 0.1.9 on FF 3.6.10. Works fine.

Claus

Oct 19, 2010, 8:10:32 PM10/19/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
Thanks for that update, I thought it would not work for 3.6 or
higher. I will try it out.

Scott Wickham

Oct 19, 2010, 8:19:29 PM10/19/10
to Claus, FireFox POW - Users Group
when in doubt use the xulrunner stand alone version.

Its based on older code (no php etc) but it works cross platform and
off a usb drive.

download from here.

http://davidkellogg.com/wiki/Main_Page

--
Scott Wickham

Claus

Oct 19, 2010, 10:36:45 PM10/19/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
Yes I have seen xulrunner mentioned, but I am even less sure how to
use it. I am going to give 0.1.9 a go and if that does not work then I
will try to tackle xulrunner

Claus

Oct 20, 2010, 8:00:56 PM10/20/10
to FireFox POW - Users Group
Well that idea did not work, FireFox would not install it as it is
not updated for this version. Question Jim how did you get 0.1.9 to
install for 3.6.10?

Jim

Oct 20, 2010, 8:36:40 PM10/20/10
to firef...@googlegroups.com
POW was already installed when I upgraded to 3.6, which didn't complain about it during the upgrade, or, if it did, I ignored the message. I don't know whether the fact that I use a Mac makes any difference.

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson

Oct 21, 2010, 4:31:10 AM10/21/10
to firef...@googlegroups.com
Unless there has been a new release, the .xpi on the Mozilla site does not work with recent Firefoxes.

They changed the packaging format and for whatever reason the publicly released version has not been updated. An oversight?

Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, CEO and janitor of the Beanstalks Project.

http://beanstalks-project.net/  ~  http://bre.klaki.net/