Requesting performance impact reviews

Dave Hunt

Nov 7, 2022, 8:08:37 AM11/7/22
to firef...@mozilla.org
Hey firefox-dev,

TLDR: If you would like an assessment of the impact a bug has on performance, please set the new Performance Impact flag in Bugzilla to “?".

If you believe a bug may have an impact on the performance of Firefox, you can nominate it for triage. You can do this by editing the bug and setting the Performance Impact flag to “?”. This will cause the bug to show up in the queries used by our triage sheriffs, who will attempt to determine the performance impact at the next meeting. If you have any additional details that may help, we encourage you to mention these as a comment in the bug. If you’re interested in joining the discussion, you can reach out to the lead of the next triage meeting published here.

During triage, bugs will be reassigned wherever possible to the most appropriate component. The goal of the performance impact flag is to provide additional context that may assist the triage owners in their role. A bug with a high performance impact on the product quality and experience could reasonably be expected to cause a Firefox user to switch browsers, and therefore should be considered S2 in severity.

If you notice a bug with a performance impact that doesn’t feel quite right, please let us know. You can do this by changing the Performance Impact flag to “?” and adding a comment, or by reaching out in #perf-help on Matrix or Slack.

If you’d like to learn more, I’ve published an article on the performance blog with additional details, including how the performance impact is determined.

Cheers,

Dave Hunt
Performance Tools