Automatically filing bugs for new actionable crashes

Suhaib Mujahid

Oct 30, 2023, 11:43:55 AM10/30/23
to dev-pl...@mozilla.org, firef...@mozilla.org, Marco Castelluccio, Sebastian Hengst, Gabriele Svelto, Andrew McCreight

Hello,

Historically, the management of new crashes has been a manual process. Over the last years, our tooling has improved to the point that we are able to correlate the data from various sources and generate bug reports with all relevant information for the developers. Also, we have a good process and tools to follow up on bugs; however, we have a missed part in the process of moving from crashes to bugs (it is performed on a best-effort basis). Thus, we have been working on automating the discovery of actionable crash reports and filing bugs for them. The goal is to speed up fixes, reduce user impact, and save engineering time.

Starting from Tuesday, October 31st, 2023, BugBot will begin filing bugs for new actionable crashes. At this stage, the bot will target crashes that happen on Nightly.

Your feedback is genuinely appreciated. To see the list of bugs reported by the bot, please check the dependencies of Bug 1861789 (bugbot-auto-crash).

A big thank you to everyone who helped with this project, especially Gabriele Svelto and Andrew McCreight. Your expertise was crucial in making this automation happen.

Thank you,

Suhaib, on behalf of the CI and Quality Tools team.