VSCode using remote machines can be used for development

Andi-Bogdan Postelnicu

Dec 14, 2022, 7:17:14 AM12/14/22
to dev-pl...@mozilla.org, firef...@mozilla.org
TLDR: VSCode using remote machines can be used for development

Hello all,
We have started provisioning Linux GCP machines for remote development using the VSCode Remote Development extension. After the experimentation phase, some developers have already been using it with satisfaction for all their developments. These developers are using it for various aspects of Firefox development, from frontend to low level C++ code.

Using VSCode you can remotely connect via SSH to a Linux GCP machine that is preconfigured for building, debugging and running Firefox.

It gives the impression to develop locally while compilations are done remotely and much faster than on most of the systems.

This includes:
  • A pre-configured and pre-built environment of Firefox.
  • Git or Mercurial support.
  • A VNC server up and running for your own instance to interact with Firefox.
  • Intellisense using clangd for C/C++ and rust-analyzer for Rust.
  • Support for other programming languages like JS, Python, etc. through different already installed extensions.
  • sccache support to speed up the build process, sharing the build artifacts with other users from the same machine.

The documentation can see on the Firefox source docs:

If you want to give this a try, test it and see if it fits your needs you will need a VSCode installation, and an account. To get an account, feel free to reply to this email or contact <an...@mozilla.com>. If you need support we’ve also created a group on Matrix.

Many thanks,
Andi, on behalf of the CI and Quality Tools team.

signature.asc

Shane Hughes

Dec 14, 2022, 8:57:05 PM12/14/22
to firef...@mozilla.org, Andi-Bogdan Postelnicu
Sounds great, I'll give it a try. My LDAP is shu...@mozilla.com
Lmk if you need any other info from me.

Thanks!
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/mozilla.org/d/msgid/firefox-dev/c26b1c40-22c9-4468-b745-4e6169d4bbebn%40mozilla.org.

Jan-Erik Rediger

Dec 15, 2022, 1:01:37 PM12/15/22
to firef...@mozilla.org, Andi-Bogdan Postelnicu

Hey,

I'd be happy to try out the VSCode Remote machine support (especially because I will be away from my big desktop machine in a bit).
Please create me an account.

Best,
Jan-Erik
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/mozilla.org/d/msgid/firefox-dev/b409546e-f749-4b16-a830-bb86cf323471n%40mozilla.org.