Sunsetting “Check-in Needed”

Ryan VanderMeulen

Feb 4, 2021, 12:45:02 PM2/4/21
to dev-platform, Firefox Dev
Hello,

For a long time now, we have relied on some form of a “Check-in Needed” flag in Bugzilla or Phabricator to assist in getting patches landed when the patch authors were unable to do so themselves. This has served us well for a long time, especially in the days when pushing patches was a more cumbersome process.

We intend to phase out the “Check-in Needed” flag. Instead, reviewers should queue patches in Lando once they are satisfied with the submitted patch.

In order to help ensure that nothing slips through the cracks, the existing autonag bot will be updated to needinfo not only the patch author but also the reviewer if it has gotten r+ but not landed within 2 weeks. The patch contribution documentation will also be updated to take into account these changes.

Once these mitigations are in place and the new workflow has been communicated out, checkin-needed will be disabled in Phabricator.

If you have comments please contact me or Joe Walker directly.

Thanks,
Ryan