Firebug lite extension for Chrome not working on internal pages

Marco Rogers

Feb 19, 2010, 3:37:20 PM2/19/10
to Firebug
I'm using the latest Firebug Lite 1.3 beta extension in Google Chrome
5.0 beta on Mac OS X. Firebug won't activate on pages that aren't
publicly accessible. For instance I'm running a django dev site on
port 8000 and I can't use it. It works just fine on any external
site.

Sorry if this is a known issue or even on purpose. It's not urgent
for me. Just wanted to bring it to the attention of the community and
see if I was missing something.

Pedro Simonetti Garcia

Feb 19, 2010, 10:16:25 PM2/19/10
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcos,

2010/2/19 Marco Rogers <marco....@gmail.com>:

> I'm using the latest Firebug Lite 1.3 beta extension in Google Chrome
> 5.0 beta on Mac OS X.  Firebug won't activate on pages that aren't
> publicly accessible.  For instance I'm running a django dev site on
> port 8000 and I can't use it.  It works just fine on any external
> site.

That's a limitation of Chrome's extension "URL macthing" scheme:
http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/match_patterns.html

There's 2 ways to workaround this problem:

1) Use the default port 80 and then access your site using one
of the following URLs:

http://127.0.0.1/
http://localhost/

2) Change the manifest.json file located in the extension's directory,
and manually include the desired URL in the "permissions" section:

{
"name": "Firebug Lite 1.3.0 beta for Google Chrome",

"permissions":
[
"tabs",
"http://*/*",
"https://*/*",
"http://127.0.0.1/*",
"http://localhost/*"
"http://localhost:8000/*"
]
}

The problem of #2 is that I guess you'll loose the changes
when a new version come out. So you'll have to manually adjust
the manifest file again in the future.

> Sorry if this is a known issue or even on purpose.  It's not urgent
> for me.  Just wanted to bring it to the attention of the community and
> see if I was missing something.

No problem, you came in the right place. If you spot other issues,
please let us know.

I've created a issue report in the Chromium tracker. You can star the issue
(so Chromium developers will know that more people are interested in this
issue), and you will be notified when we get a response from the
Chromium team:

regards,

Pedro Simonetti.

Marco Rogers

Feb 20, 2010, 12:59:44 AM2/20/10
to Firebug
Thanks Pedro. I starred and chimed in on the issue. I hope it gets
fixed because I'm stuck between Chrome and Firefox right now. Chrome
is mostly awesome since the Mac got extensions and some other
upgrades. But I still can't get into the developer tools. They're
powerful but the usability is just awful compared to firebug.

On Feb 19, 10:16 pm, Pedro Simonetti Garcia <pedrosimone...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Marcos,
>
> 2010/2/19 Marco Rogers <marco.rog...@gmail.com>:

> > I'm using the latest Firebug Lite 1.3 beta extension in Google Chrome
> > 5.0 beta on Mac OS X.  Firebug won't activate on pages that aren't
> > publicly accessible.  For instance I'm running a django dev site on
> > port 8000 and I can't use it.  It works just fine on any external
> > site.
>
> That's a limitation of Chrome's extension "URL macthing" scheme:http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/match_patterns.html
>
> There's 2 ways to workaround this problem:
>
> 1) Use the default port 80 and then access your site using one
> of the following URLs:
>

> http://127.0.0.1/http://localhost/

moritz

Apr 19, 2010, 7:59:27 PM4/19/10
to Firebug
Not quite the same but similar: I'm trying to enable FireBug Lite 1.3
on pages loaded via the file: protocol and added "file:///*" to
"permissions", unfortunately to no avail. Any clues on how to get
this working?

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

Pedro Simonetti Garcia

Apr 21, 2010, 11:53:27 AM4/21/10
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andreas,

This is a security restriction of the Google Chrome's extension system.
Extensions are not allowed to have access to your machine file system.

You can workaround this problem by loading your page in a web server
installed in your machine, so you can access that local files through
"http://" addresses. This is the best solution: it is safe, and you'll get
the most of what Firebug Lite extension can give you. I recommend
using Apache HTTP Server, but you can use anyone (like IIS for
example).

http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

You can also load the Firebug Lite locally, copying the source code
to your machine, and loading using a <script> tag in your page.
See section "c) Local link (offline)" under installation instructions:

http://getfirebug.com/releases/lite/beta/#Install

Finally, you can use the bookmarlet. See section "a) Bookmarlet":