Firebreath on Edge

adrian...@unifiedpost.com

Mar 29, 2017, 10:18:55 AM3/29/17
to firebreath-dev
Hello,

Did someone manage to port a Firebreath plugin on Edge?
Or is someone trying/planing to do so ? ( we may learn from each others attempts to do so and reach Nirvana in the end :) )

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/extensions/guides/native-messaging

Wish you an extraordinary day !
Adrian

Billy Simon

Mar 29, 2017, 1:56:26 PM3/29/17
to firebre...@googlegroups.com
I haven't, but supposedly this is the same "native-messaging" supported by Chrome.

The part I don't like about NM in Edge is  that ""the native messaging host will need to be implemented using the Universal Windows Platform." because I won't be able to reuse my native host (Win32) that already is working for Chrome.

BTW Firefox 52 already deprecated NPAPI but already supports NM.

--

---

Ing. Billy Simón C. Msc
MCPD: Enterprise Developer
MCPD: Web Developer, MCSD.Net
Gerente de Tecnología
Tel. 2234-9900
www.hermes-soft.com

Richard Bateman

Mar 29, 2017, 2:13:33 PM3/29/17
to FireBreath Dev Group
Firefox 52 works great with the FireBreath 2.0 branch; I have not yet
looked into NM on edge, I didn't realize that it required a special
platform / wouldn't work with an existing native host. In theory if
you can write C++ stuff to work with NM on edge then it should be
possible to make FireBreath 2 work with NM on edge via FireWyrm,
though permissions might be an issue.

Richard

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Billy Simon <billy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't, but supposedly this is the same "native-messaging" supported by
> Chrome.
>
> The part I don't like about NM in Edge is that ""the native messaging host
> will need to be implemented using the Universal Windows Platform." because I
> won't be able to reuse my native host (Win32) that already is working for
> Chrome.
>
> BTW Firefox 52 already deprecated NPAPI but already supports NM.
>
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 8:18 AM, <adrian...@unifiedpost.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Did someone manage to port a Firebreath plugin on Edge?
>> Or is someone trying/planing to do so ? ( we may learn from each others
>> attempts to do so and reach Nirvana in the end :) )
>>

>> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/extensions/guides/native-messaging
>>
>> Wish you an extraordinary day !
>> Adrian
>>
>> --
>>
>> ---
>

> --
> Ing. Billy Simón C. Msc
> MCPD: Enterprise Developer
> MCPD: Web Developer, MCSD.Net
> Gerente de Tecnología
> Tel. 2234-9900
> www.hermes-soft.com
>
> --
>
> ---
Message has been deleted

adrian...@unifiedpost.com

Mar 31, 2017, 4:14:54 AM3/31/17
to firebreath-dev
I'm still trying to figure things out but from my understanding one should be able to reuse the Win32 code ( as a "Desktop Bridge component" ).
"Automatic conversion" (here) did not really work for me and also loosing the installer all together will dramatically reduce the appx size so at this point  I packaged the Firebreath plugin manually.
(Not sure if I'll still do it like this or in the end I'll do it via Visual Studio because of the need of the UWP app.)
One should create a UWP app ( with AppService ) and this will be able to communicate with the existing  plugin Firebreath /"Desktop Bridge component" because there are packaged together.