Native Messaging supports webcam plug-in ?

Zhimin Xu

May 10, 2017, 10:49:17 PM5/10/17
to firebreath-dev
Hello all,

I haved developed a webcam plug-in based on ActiveX which is now using in Internet Explorer.

I found that Native Messaging Extensions communicates with Host using standard input and standard output streams, so will it be possible to package a webcam plug-in using Native Messaging to support Chrome and Firefox With FireBreath 2.0 ?

Thamks.

Zhimin

Richard Bateman

May 11, 2017, 11:55:09 AM5/11/17
to FireBreath Dev Group
Hi,

You can certainly access a webcam when using firebreath in native
messaging on Chrome or Firefox... but why? You can already get access
to the webcam on those browsers using getUserMedia.

Richard
> --
>
> ---

Alexandre GOUAILLARD

May 12, 2017, 1:10:13 AM5/12/17
to firebre...@googlegroups.com
webcam controls (tilt pan zoom) not handled by MediaStream spec?

---

Alex. Gouaillard, PhD, PhD, MBA
President - CoSMo Software Consulting, Singapore

Zhimin Xu

May 12, 2017, 3:58:25 AM5/12/17
to firebreath-dev
Hi,

I can't use getUserMedia because the ActiveX webcam plug-in is developed from an existing MFC application with source code.

I am just wondering if there is any method to transfer a frame of video or a pixel buffer to a Native Messaging plug-in in FireBreath 2.0.

Zhimin

在 2017年5月11日星期四 UTC+8下午11:55:09,taxilian写道:

Alexandre GOUAILLARD

May 12, 2017, 4:05:24 AM5/12/17
to firebre...@googlegroups.com
The getUserMedia Should be able to get you the frames as a MediaStream Object as long as your camera as a compatible driver on the Operating system you run.

Is there anything special you do with your plugin today you could not do in HTML5 today? It is possible that you do not need your plugin anymore. If you were to share the details of what your plugin does exactly, we could help you more.

Zhimin Xu

May 12, 2017, 4:42:25 AM5/12/17
to firebreath-dev
In my plugin, there are object picking and mouse and keyboard interactions like tilt, pan, zoom you've said above.

在 2017年5月12日星期五 UTC+8下午4:05:24,Alexandre GOUAILLARD写道:

Richard Bateman

May 12, 2017, 11:37:58 AM5/12/17
to FireBreath Dev Group
Once it has pan/tilt/zoom I wouldn't normally consider it a webcam, but...

Basically the best option that I know of is to base64 encode the
frames and send them to the browser as text. You can even encode as a
jpeg and then send them as a data URI and drop them in an image tag,
etc. That's the only way to send binary data, however.

Richard

Alexandre GOUAILLARD

May 13, 2017, 4:47:47 AM5/13/17
to firebre...@googlegroups.com
@richard,

The new PTZ family of cams, that used to be sold separately to the pro market, is emerging and is being used in web-based conferencing:

Some Media Servers also include native support for them:

There is still a price Gap, but it's clear it's narrowing quickly.

@Zhimin,

attlasian is trying to implement support for that directly in HTML5 with a first implementation in chrome. That might not be ready right away, but it s coming. Do you want to be put in touch with the right person in their team?

---

Zhimin Xu

May 17, 2017, 8:30:52 PM5/17/17
to firebreath-dev
@Alexandre,

Thank you for your reply. Right now, using HTML5 may not be the best choice for me to solve the urgent problem.

If I need support from Attlasian team in the future, that will be kind of you to share with me the contact information.

@Richard,

I found an example code on github which is said to be based on Firebreath 1.6 or later.

Example Firebreath plugin wrapper for ActiveX control
https://github.com/firebreath/FBAXExample

For Firebreath 2.0, is there an example code to wrap an ActiveX control to a Native Messaging extension?

在 2017年5月13日星期六 UTC+8下午4:47:47,Alexandre GOUAILLARD写道:

Richard Bateman

May 17, 2017, 9:37:18 PM5/17/17
to FireBreath Dev Group
You can't wrap an activex control when using native messaging -- at
least not without abusing implementation details that could change. If
you want to try to do that you could look at the code for IEFrame
which did that last I looked, but basically what they do is use voodoo
to grab the HWND for a div in the browser and take it over, which is
not recommended or supported by any browser. (I'm kinda shocked it
works).

The problem is that we don't have a HWND in the browser; you could
probably use an activex control in a hidden window outside of the
browser and then somehow send the data across, I suppose, but it'd be
quite a research project.

Richard