2 servers on Win 10 LAN, no connection possible.

Searcher

Feb 16, 2021, 1:54:06 PM2/16/21
to firebird-support
I have a (legacy) installation of FB 2.5 (32-bit)on PC1 (Win 10) on my LAN, and FB 2.5 (32-bit) on PC2 (Win 10)

Thus far I have not been able to connect to a db on either server from the other.

Using Flamerobin 0.9.3 on both, even "Retrieve Server version" from either side fails.

FWIW, PC1 is used to handle databases as a local server and I'd prefer not to upgrade to a more recent version, until I get access from one PC to the other so that  can build up my system using PC2 as a remote.
Also have had the same problem when using FB 3.0.7 64-bit on PC2

Mark Rotteveel

Feb 16, 2021, 2:18:24 PM2/16/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Have you configured the Windows firewall to allow remote connections to
the Firebird application? IIRC, the Firebird installer itself doesn't
add the necessary rule, and if you run as a service, Windows doesn't
prompt you to ask if it should add it.

Mark

渡辺

Feb 17, 2021, 3:38:18 AM2/17/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

In my experience,
PC2(FB2.5) could not access to PC1(FB3.0).
Because fbclient.dll for FB2.5 can not access to FB3.0.
Though fbclient.dll for FB3.0 can access to FB2.5 ,It's slower than for 2.5.

/////ノベルット///////////////////////////////////////////////
 株式会社 ノベルット ソフトウェア インダストリー
  代表取締役 渡辺 伸雄
 〒144-0043 東京都 大田区 羽田2-12-3
 Tel:03-5705-2595
 Fax:03-6423-9505
 mobile-phone:080-3430-2595 070-5582-6540
  Email:wata...@noveltte.jp
///////////////////////////////////////////////ノベルット/////

Mark Rotteveel

Feb 17, 2021, 4:13:41 AM2/17/21
On 2021-02-17 09:37, 渡辺 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my experience,
> PC2(FB2.5) could not access to PC1(FB3.0).
> Because fbclient.dll for FB2.5 can not access to FB3.0.
> Though fbclient.dll for FB3.0 can access to FB2.5 ,It's slower than
> for 2.5.

That is not correct, a Firebird 2.5 client can access Firebird 3
(assuming TCP/IP is used, not sure about WNET), however because Firebird
2.5 only supports the old authentication and doesn't support wire
encryption, Firebird 3 needs to be configured correctly to be able to
accept the connection:

1. Legacy_Auth needs to be added to the **end** of the AuthServer
setting in firebird.conf
2. Legacy_UserManager needs to be added to the **end** of the
UserManager setting in firebird.conf
3. The setting WireCrypt needs to be set to Enabled in firebird.conf (to
override its default of Required)
4. Restart Firebird
5. The user needs to exist for the Legacy_UserManager plugin (you can
create one with CREATE USER <username> PASSWORD '<password>' USING
PLUGIN Legacy_UserManager)

That said, it is generally better to update the client to Firebird 3,
because the Firebird 3 client can connect to Firebird 2.5 by default,
and you can leave the Firebird 3 server at its more secure settings.

A Firebird 3 client connecting to Firebird 2.5 should not be slower
though, except on connect because it tries IPv6 first. That can be
solved by using the connection url
inet4://host:port/alias-or-path-to-database, or replacing the hostname
with the IP address, or mitigated by using a connection pool.

Mark

渡辺

Feb 17, 2021, 4:42:48 AM2/17/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

Thank you,Mark!

I didn't know that.

I am glad to know that.

We needs some techniques to access different major version DB.

I will try your technique. Thank you.

Ismael L. Donis Garcia

Feb 17, 2021, 9:45:00 AM2/17/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Does this also apply to firebird 4?
with the use of fbclient 2.5.9

Best Regards
--
Ismael
Devuan User: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=devuan

Mark Rotteveel

Feb 17, 2021, 10:17:32 AM2/17/21
On 17-02-2021 15:50, Ismael L. Donis Garcia wrote:
> Does this also apply to firebird 4?
> with the use of fbclient 2.5.9

Yes, Firebird 4 still supports all wire protocol versions since Firebird
1 (or actually, InterBase 6).

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Searcher

Feb 17, 2021, 4:51:20 PM2/17/21
to firebird-support
AFAIK, there is not firewall in use on this local LAN and looking at the ports, 3550 is open at both PC

DougC

Feb 17, 2021, 4:54:19 PM2/17/21
to firebird-support
That should be port 3050, right?

---- On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 16:46:19 -0500 Searcher <nsc...@gmail.com> wrote ----

Mark Rotteveel

Feb 17, 2021, 4:56:43 PM2/17/21
On 2021-02-17 22:46, Searcher wrote:
> AFAIK, there is not firewall in use on this local LAN and looking at
> the ports, 3550 is open at both PC

Windows 10 has a built-in firewall that is enabled by default. The
default firebird port is 3050, not 3550, however, the Windows firewall
is not just about whitelisting ports, it is also about whitelisting
applications.

Mark

Searcher

Feb 17, 2021, 5:02:21 PM2/17/21
to firebird-support
Thank you for the instructions, but I am not sure which end which part applies to.
I am a total newb as far as FB communications go. Up to now, everything was done using the 1.5 version with an embedded server, but management (me) wants to move to a LAN based server if possible.
As I mentioned, I prefer not to upset the existing embedded 'server' and would like to keep it operational, until the LAN version is up & working.

The FB 2.5 end does not show any AuthServer setting, nor UserManager

I can/could install either 2.5 or a later version on PC2, as long as I can figure out how to keep the instalaltions distinct and separate.
Same considerations apply to installing a newer version on PC1 along side the existing 2.5 installation.
I would need very detailed instructions about which FB client can/must be located where .....

TIA

Searcher

Feb 17, 2021, 5:02:45 PM2/17/21
to firebird-support
My mistake, yes, it is 3050 on both ends

Arnold Wiegert

Feb 17, 2021, 6:12:54 PM2/17/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Meanwhile, I have looked at the firewall rules and added Firebird server 2.5 to both ends as an app that is allowed to use the network,
FWIW, I can not retrieve the server version from PC2 - the newly installed FB 2.5, but still get an error from PC 1.

Karol Bieniaszewski

Feb 18, 2021, 2:55:26 AM2/18/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

Start from basic step.

First check if you can ping from PC1 to PC2 and from PC2 to PC1.

e.g. run cmd and then type there

ping PC1

you will see if this two machines are visible to each other. If not then first fix this then play with Firebird.

If ping do not work check first IP of both computers. Check if they are connected to the same switch, router, LAN..

Dissable firewall on both pc. After all test you can bring firewall back to see if all is still working.

Regards,

Karol Bieniaszewski

Mark Rotteveel

Feb 18, 2021, 3:44:04 AM2/18/21
On 2021-02-17 23:00, Searcher wrote:
> Thank you for the instructions, but I am not sure which end which part
> applies to.
> I am a total newb as far as FB communications go. Up to now,
> everything was done using the 1.5 version with an embedded server, but
> management (me) wants to move to a LAN based server if possible.
> As I mentioned, I prefer not to upset the existing embedded 'server'
> and would like to keep it operational, until the LAN version is up &
> working.
>
> The FB 2.5 end does not show any AuthServer setting, nor UserManager

My instructions were for configuring a Firebird 3 server to accept
connections from a Firebird 2.5 client library. These settings are new
in Firebird 3, so they don't exist in Firebird 2.5.

> I can/could install either 2.5 or a later version on PC2, as long as I
> can figure out how to keep the instalaltions distinct and separate.
>
> Same considerations apply to installing a newer version on PC1 along
> side the existing 2.5 installation.
> I would need very detailed instructions about which FB client can/must
> be located where .....

That depends entirely on what you're trying to achieve. Also keep in
mind that you don't necessarily need to install the Firebird server on
all machines (in a true client-server setup, you only need one server
with Firebird installed), but you will need to install the client
library on all machines, and installing the Firebird 3 client library on
all machines is probably the best choice, even if connecting to a
Firebird 2.5 server.

You can install multiple Firebird servers side-by-side, but you will
need to configure each with its own port and IPC name settings, and you
will need to do a custom install of the Windows service so they have
distinct names.

Mark

Virgo Pärna

Feb 18, 2021, 10:05:35 AM2/18/21
On 18.02.2021 0:02, Searcher wrote:
> My mistake, yes, it is 3050 on both ends

What is the actual error, that you get, when connecting? And can you
connect from the same computer?

--
Virgo Pärna
Gaiasoft OÜ

Searcher

Feb 18, 2021, 12:52:36 PM2/18/21
to firebird-support
Yes, both PCs are ping-able from each other and port 3050 is open on both and the firewall on both is set (again) to allow traffic through for FB. (Needs to be repeated after (re-)instalilng a server.
And as of just now, I can use Flamerobin to retrieve the server version from either side. Some major progress.

Searcher

Feb 18, 2021, 1:03:03 PM2/18/21
to firebird-support

My goal is to be able to have one server on the LAN and, to minimize LAN traffic by having the app, scanning and recording image data run on each PC, rather than having one app scan and record over the LAN. At the same time I need to be able to access the data in the db from any PC for further analysis & possibly processing .

By now, I have modified my app to depend on an embedded 2.5 server. I do have the source code and hopefully will be able to adapt it to converse with either a local server or one on a different PC on the LAN.
The app interfaces to FB via some IBPP library calls.
Also, I have reinstalled the current version of FB 3.0 on both PC and reconfigured the firewall to allow the server to communicate. As mentioned in my other response, I can now, at least, get the server version.
As you point out,  parallel installations can cause confusion brought on setup choices and hence I want to stay away from that.

At this point, I will have to see what I need to do to make my app use the local server and then try my luck across the network.
What I need to find out is how to get the server details regarding its configuration and capabilities.
I presume that information is available via suitable calls to the interface and that is my next job.
Fortunately, the current 2.5 dbs can be recreated with the 3.0 server & DLLs so migration won't be an issue.

Searcher

Feb 18, 2021, 1:04:15 PM2/18/21
to firebird-support
the errors varied depending on which server was installed on which PC, the stat of the firewall and ???? :-)

Virgo Pärna

Feb 19, 2021, 8:00:54 AM2/19/21
On 18.02.2021 20:04, Searcher wrote:
> the errors varied depending on which server was installed on which PC,
> the stat of the firewall and ???? :-)

And.... What were the errors??? Ok, there is no point of posting an
error, that occured when firewall was blocking connection, but
otherwise - what was the error? Also both fbclient and server versions.
Otherwise it is debugging via crystal ball....

Searcher

Feb 19, 2021, 12:25:26 PM2/19/21
to firebird-support
As I mentioned, depending on the environment - FB version, PC1 or 2, installation options and app used to test the connection, the error dialogs varied and the only way to 'report' even a small number would have been too tedious to take screenshots. That was way to cumbersome for me and even if I had, without all of the details, they would be of little  value to anyone.
If you are having the same problem, then perhaps my notes for one PC will help you or any  one else

Installing 64-bit Firebird 3.0.5 on Xeon

  • Install all developer & admin tools
  • Run FB in Superserver mode – no Guardian
  • start automatically
  • run as service
  • start automatically
  • copy client library to <system> directory     — Flamerobin seems to depend on that
  • do not check the 2 legacy support boxes
  • accept the default credentials, user SYSDBA, PW: masterkey

Finish & start server

Open Win 10 Control Panel:

Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Defender Firewall -> Allowed apps Change Settings

and ‘Allow Another App’, browse to the FB executable:

C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_3_0\firebird.exe  and add it.

It should show “Firebird SQL Server” in the list of allowed apps

As a test, Flamerobin ought to be able to retrieve the Server Version from RED

as WI-V3.0.5.33220 Firebird 3.0

liviuslivius

Feb 19, 2021, 2:20:48 PM2/19/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
No more to say then:
????????????

Regards,
Karol Bieniaszewski

Virgo Pärna

Feb 22, 2021, 4:07:24 AM2/22/21
On 2021-02-19 19:25, Searcher wrote:
> As I mentioned, depending on the environment - FB version, PC1 or 2,
> installation options and app used to test the connection, the error
> dialogs varied and the only way to 'report' even a small number would
> have been too tedious to take screenshots. That was way to cumbersome

Not screenshots - actual texts of Error message are interesting. They
actually provide information, what is wrong. Without it is just pure
speculation.

> * /do not check the 2 legacy support boxes/
> * /accept the default credentials, user SYSDBA, PW: masterkey/

In that case Firebird client library (fbclient.dll) in client computer
must be from Firebird 3 or newer. Older version would result in error
messages about undefined user. Generally fbclient.dll from Firebird 3
works out of the box with Firebird 2.5 server. But Firebird 3.0 server
requires special configuration to allow fbclient from Firebird 2.5 to
connect.