Firebird 4 restore exits with error 10054 in log file

Nico Callewaert

Jul 3, 2021, 3:01:52 AM7/3/21
to firebird-support
Hi,

I am converting a 2.5 database to FB 4.0.
I discovered something odd that was never a problem with previous versions.

If I use the following restore command, it fails :

gbak -v -r -n -user SYSDBA -password masterkey c:\temp\database.fbk localhost:c:\temp\database.fdb

However if I do the restore like this, it's fine :

gbak -v -r -n -user SYSDBA -password masterkey c:\temp\database.fbk c:\temp\database.fdb

I don't understand why localhost shouldn't work? With FB 2.5 and prior this was never an issue.
When the restore fails, it's not just random, it's always at the same table, at 70.000 records restored. The restore stops, no error message at the command prompt, but when I check the log file, it's says this :

DESKTOP-BDTVMCB Fri Jul  2 23:12:45 2021
INET/inet_error: read errno = 10054, client host = desktop-bdtvmcb, address = ::1/53202, user = beheerder

Am I doing something wrong here?
Thanks a lot, best regards, Nico

Alexey Kovyazin

Jul 4, 2021, 2:51:55 AM7/4/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nico,

If you try gbak with service manager, 10054 appear too?

Please try.

Regards,
Alexey Kovyazin
IBSurgeon

James Folly

Jul 4, 2021, 6:17:17 AM7/4/21
to firebird-support
Dear Sir,

I have an application made in vb.net with firebird 3.0.1 engine runs in windows 10. When i want to run same application on another pc first i install firebird 3.0.1 with username sysdba password masterkey and receive following error

your user name and password are not defined. ask your database administrator to setup a firebird login

Why do I receive that error when trying to open the database programmatically when I can open the same database with the same credentials in FlameRobin?

would you please guide me how to resolve this issue.

Thanks & regard

James

Mark Rotteveel

Jul 4, 2021, 6:21:48 AM7/4/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Please do not reply to a thread to ask a different, unrelated question,
and do not double post.

Mark -- moderator

--
Mark Rotteveel

Nico Callewaert

Jul 16, 2021, 5:19:47 AM7/16/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com, alexey....@gmail.com
Hi Alex,

I'm sorry, I overlooked your reply. I will try!

Thank you very much!
Best regards

Op zo 4 jul. 2021 om 08:51 schreef Alexey Kovyazin <alexey....@gmail.com>:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "firebird-support" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebird-support/CAH0_ZaROup_3B6LmX5m2rKzUY_h2Ok%3DOqiHCrxPLFmMvDqgZ_A%40mail.gmail.com.

P-Soft - Fabio Codebue

Oct 14, 2021, 5:10:30 AM10/14/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
I have a server with 15GB datbase with firebird 2.1
I have only 5GB free space on this hard disk

I need to backup and restore it to another server with more hard disk space

when I run something like

gbak -v -t -user SYSDBA -password masterkey -y c:\backups\warehouse.log anotherserver:/db/warehouse.fdb

which hard disk space  gbak  use to create backup?
I mean it needs space on local hard disk to create backup and move to another server or directly move data to toher server without cosuming space on local hard disk?

This matter can crash local server? this is a db of a realtime application so I wanna be sure

thanks

Fabio Codebue

P-SOFT di Codebue Fabio

Via Nuova n. 9 - 24060 Tavernola B.sca (BG)

P.I. 03624950162

C.F. CDBFBA72A11C618T

Mobile: +39.348.3515786

Fax: +39.030.5100306

Web: http://www.p-soft.biz

pec: amminis...@pec.p-soft.biz
cod.intermediario SDI: KRRH6B9

Gerry Steer

Oct 14, 2021, 5:22:59 AM10/14/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
If possible,shut it down, and just copy it to the machine with more space. Should Work fine, then do backup there if necessary.

Oct 14, 2021, 8:35:29 AM10/14/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
If needed, you can gbak thru ssh with output as stout redirecting to a file, obviously it will be slow. Also you can mount a remote file in your old server to gbak.
But probably the easiest option is to copy the .fdb file directly to the new server then gbak and restore

Gerry Steer

Oct 14, 2021, 8:38:24 AM10/14/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Why can't it just be shutdown and copied to the target, then gbak on the target? Works fine for me.
Oct 14, 2021, 8:44:17 AM10/14/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

Gerry Steer

Oct 14, 2021, 8:47:51 AM10/14/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Even better idea!
Oct 14, 2021, 9:05:11 AM10/14/21
'P-Soft - Fabio Codebue' via firebird-support wrote 14.10.2021 15:00:
> if I made a backup from this server to another gbak use local disk for temp file?

No. But it won't help you if the database is really "realtime applciation
that CAN'T be stopped" because the backup will be out-of-date.
The only way is to free some space in the current server. Perhaps, to
relocate the porn collection which doesn't need 24/7 access.

--
WBR, SD.

Stefan Heymann

Oct 14, 2021, 9:09:03 AM10/14/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Fabio,

> which hard disk space gbak use to create backup?

The backup file will be created on the target drive. GBAK outputs a data stream that is written directly to the target file.

Best Regards

Stefan

----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht / Original Message -----
Von/From: 'P-Soft - Fabio Codebue' via firebird-support <firebird...@googlegroups.com>
Gesendet/Date: 14.10.2021 11:10
An/To: firebird...@googlegroups.com <firebird...@googlegroups.com>
Betreff/Subject: [firebird-support] Firebird 2.1 backup temp files

Web: http://www.p-soft.biz <http://www.p-soft.biz/>

pec: amminis...@pec.p-soft.biz
cod.intermediario SDI: KRRH6B9

Stefan Heymann

Oct 14, 2021, 9:23:28 AM10/14/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
> Perhaps, to relocate the p**n collection which doesn't need 24/7 access.

The OP has asked a serious question. Is that what you consider good support?

Stefan

P-Soft - Fabio Codebue

Oct 14, 2021, 9:30:58 AM10/14/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
SD

porn collection would be a good resource...but customer didn't have it...it's a pharma company...

Fabio Codebue

P-SOFT di Codebue Fabio

Via Nuova n. 9 - 24060 Tavernola B.sca (BG)

P.I. 03624950162

C.F. CDBFBA72A11C618T

Mobile: +39.348.3515786

Fax: +39.030.5100306

Web: http://www.p-soft.biz

pec: amminis...@pec.p-soft.biz
cod.intermediario SDI: KRRH6B9

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "firebird-support" group.

P-Soft - Fabio Codebue

Oct 14, 2021, 9:34:43 AM10/14/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
if it can’t be stopped, it can’t be moved.

Mark Rotteveel

Oct 14, 2021, 10:02:56 AM10/14/21
On 14-10-2021 15:05, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
> Perhaps, to relocate the porn collection which doesn't need 24/7 access.

Moderator notice: further comments, replies, flames(*) or other
discussion of this 'joke' are off-topic, and will result in accounts
getting moved to active moderation as a cool-off measure.

Please keep the discussion civilized.

Mark - moderator

(*): I already rejected one post that tried to flame someone in this thread.
--
Mark Rotteveel

Omacht András

Oct 14, 2021, 10:08:24 AM10/14/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

Hi Fabio,

If the old database is reachable over tcp ip, then:

1.     install firebird to the new server

2.     run gbak on the new server:    gbak –g –b –v old_server_ip/old_server_port:C:\path\to\old\db.fdb C:\new\server\parth\db.gbk

The backup file will be created ont he new server.

András

This DB work on a realtime applciation that CAN'T be stopped....

Server in not managable ( I con't connect no other disk or hardware)

My problem is if I made a backup from this server to another gbak use local disk for temp file?

Fabio Codebue

A képet a feladó eltávolította.

Fabio Codebue

A képet a feladó eltávolította.

P-Soft - Fabio Codebue

Oct 14, 2021, 10:49:45 AM10/14/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
>> The OP has asked a serious question.
>
> Did he? 25 gigabytes of databases, 5 gigabytes of free space. Even 10 years old notebook has HDD 128 gigabytes min. Naturally, remaining 90 gigabytes have to be filled by something more valuable than "realtime application data". Can you guess what it is?

My guess is: It is real life. Things happen. Consider yourself lucky when you always have enough disk space and enough time to keep everything tidy. If you are lucky, perhaps others are not. I don't think the OP was eager to be in this situation. All this considered, yes, it is a serious question from someone who is in serious trouble and needs things to keep on running.

Best Regards

Stefan

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Oct 14, 2021, 11:04:10 AM10/14/21
Stefan Heymann wrote 14.10.2021 16:49:
> My guess is: It is real life. Things happen. Consider yourself lucky when you always have enough disk space and enough time to keep everything tidy.

During my 10 years career of a system administrator of course I had quite a
few situation when server's free storage space decreased all of sudden. But
every time I looked for the reason it was MP4 files renamed to XLS in users'
directories. None of these cases endangered important database because of disk
quotes that were set for users in advance.
So what I told wasn't completely a joke you know.

> I don't think the OP was eager to be in this situation.

Yes, but this situation would be no problem at all if OP set up backup
database server and replication as it was suggested years ago.

--
WBR, SD.