Missing employee.fdb on linux mint install

34 views
Skip to first unread message

Unlucky 83

unread,
Jun 16, 2021, 12:09:42 PMJun 16
to firebird-support

Am trying to install Firebird 3.0 on Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1.
New to Linux and only used Firebird as embedded database in LO Base before.
I want to use firebird 3.0 as that is the version LO base is using. Planning on using Flamerobin as gui which I am hoping is less buggy than Base for setting up/editing my databases.
Have installed firebird using the software manager. Trying to change default sysadm password for security (and then will need to set up a firebird user).
The install guide I am reading says to connect to and use the example database employee.fdb to do this - but I don't seem to have that file anywhere.
I do have a employee.sql file ...but I don't think that is what I need.  (I have downloaded a separate package called firebird examples - I think that is where the .sql file came from)
Does anyone know if the .fdb file is known to be missing from some linux packages?
Can I get it elsewhere?
Is it worth me uninstalling and reinstalling using synaptic package manager - or even from the  tar.gz?
Thanks

Jim McNamara

unread,
Jun 16, 2021, 5:09:00 PMJun 16
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "firebird-support" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to firebird-suppo...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebird-support/583bfd92-cd80-4029-aa7e-957bc0becb1an%40googlegroups.com.


That might help you out. You probably dont need ppa but packages might be similar in synaptic. Also there might be a meta package. 

I will look up re password in a minute. 

Thanks,
Robo-loki 

Jim McNamara

unread,
Jun 16, 2021, 5:21:53 PMJun 16
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 16, 2021, 12:09 PM Unlucky 83 <veryun...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "firebird-support" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to firebird-suppo...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebird-support/583bfd92-cd80-4029-aa7e-957bc0becb1an%40googlegroups.com.

Search google for search terms firebird 3 authentication ibphoenix pdf and read the part about sysdba.

The people around here are really nice . Please ask for more help if you need it.

Thanks,
Robo-loki 

Mark Rotteveel

unread,
Jun 17, 2021, 7:38:15 AMJun 17
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
On 16-06-2021 17:55, Unlucky 83 wrote:
> Have installed firebird using the software manager. Trying to change
> default sysadm password for security (and then will need to set up a
> firebird user).
> The install guide I am reading says to connect to and use the example
> database employee.fdb to do this - but I don't seem to have that file
> anywhere.

You don't *need* to use the example employee database, it is just
convenient to use if it's present. However, you can use any database (in
fact, you can even connect - locally - to the security database itself).

You can also create a new database using ISQL and then use that.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Unlucky 83

unread,
Jun 19, 2021, 5:09:22 PMJun 19
to firebird-support
Hi
Thanks for the help so far...sorry for not replying before I've been unexpectedly busy with my work, just about to start to look at this again.
I did use the first link -and reinstalled firebird (again) but from every attempt/way of installing firebird 3.0 I've tried so far I don't get the database -but I don't get the same folders installed either -so I guess it is Linux Mint thing...
'However, you can use any database (in fact, you can even connect - locally - to the security database itself).'
Can you tell me how I would do that?
Thanks again

Mark Rotteveel

unread,
Jun 20, 2021, 3:06:57 AMJun 20
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
On 19-06-2021 20:16, Unlucky 83 wrote:
> Hi
> Thanks for the help so far...sorry for not replying before I've been
> unexpectedly busy with my work, just about to start to look at this again.
> I did use the first link -and reinstalled firebird (again) but from
> every attempt/way of installing firebird 3.0 I've tried so far I don't
> get the database -but I don't get the same folders installed either -so
> I guess it is Linux Mint thing...
> 'However, you can use any database (in fact, you can even connect -
> locally - to the security database itself).'
> Can you tell me how I would do that?

In isql (note: some distributions rename it to fb-isql), use

CONNECT 'security.db' USER sysdba;

This assumes security.db is defined in databases.conf, it should, but
you never know with modified distributions. Alternatively, use:

CONNECT 'security3.fdb' USER sysdba;

Replace security3.fdb with the actual path of the security database.

Or, just create a database and use that:

CREATE DATABASE '/path/to/some/database.fdb' USER sysdba;

For both options, you do need to be a member of the firebird group,
otherwise the embedded engine can't modify the security database.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages