Downgrade from 4 to 2.5

Hugo Eyng | Datamais

May 18, 2023, 9:06:38 AM5/18/23
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

Hello, Firends.

I need to downgrade a DB from version 4.0 to version 2.5.

What is the best way to do it? Some hint?

Atenciosamente,

Dimitry Sibiryakov

May 18, 2023, 9:07:35 AM5/18/23
Hugo Eyng | Datamais wrote 18.05.2023 15:06:
> What is the best way to do it? Some hint?

Create a database from script and pump data. There is no other way.

--
WBR, SD.

Tomasz Tyrakowski

May 18, 2023, 9:49:18 AM5/18/23
On 18.05.2023 at 15:06, Hugo Eyng | Datamais wrote:
> Hello, Firends.
>
> I need to downgrade a DB from version 4.0 to version 2.5.
>
> What is the best way to do it? Some hint?

Could you share the reasons of your decision to downgrade? I'm in the
process of writing down detailed upgrade plans from 2.5 to 4.02 on ~90
production servers (based on information in Carlos Cantu's book) and if
there are any serious reasons convincing you to downgrade, knowing them
beforehand and making some contingency plans would be a great help for me.

regards
Tomasz

Hugo Eyng | Datamais

May 18, 2023, 11:36:33 AM5/18/23
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

  Hello, Dimitry.

Thank you for your answer.

I guessed that would be the best answer. Now confirmed.

Regards

Atenciosamente,

Hugo

Hugo Eyng | Datamais

May 18, 2023, 11:36:55 AM5/18/23
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Thomasz

I did not any cutomoziation/convertion in our software to use it with FB 4. I just setup the firebird.conf to not use  GMT in datetime fields.

The software is running well, but just in one customer. As some issues begun to happen in that customer I considered  go back to FB 2.5. But to be honest, I don´t believe that the version of the DB is causing the issues.

I can not say that you will not face a kind of trouble, because I don´t know what resoureces of FB you use. In my case, I don´t use advanced resources, so I could say that the migration from 2.5 to 4.0 was not a great effort and did not raise great problems.

Atenciosamente,

Hugo

Karol Bieniaszewski

May 18, 2023, 11:41:48 AM5/18/23
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

Hi

As i am also interested, then ,must say that hard to follow your answer:

>> i don´t believe that the version of the DB is causing the issues.

DB not causing a problem but you back with DB to previous version?

Regards,

Karol Bieniaszewski

Hugo Eyng | Datamais

May 18, 2023, 1:36:10 PM5/18/23
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Karol.

What I mean is that I am not sure about what causes the issue I am facing. As I tried a lot of options and did not succeed, and the only thing I saw different between the installation in the customer I I am talking about and others is that this customer has FB 4 and the others have FB 2.5.
So, I didn´t say I was downgrading FB even it is not the problem, if I would be sure that FB 4 was not the problem, why would I downgrade it. Do not make sense.

Downgrade FB 4 to FB 2.5 is a try, just to eliminate this possibility.

Atenciosamente,

Hugo

Ertan Küçükoglu

May 18, 2023, 2:11:38 PM5/18/23
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hello Hugo,

Would you share details of your specific problem? Maybe there is a solution for it in FirebirdSQL 4.0.

Thanks & Regards,
Ertan

Hugo Eyng | Datamais

May 18, 2023, 2:31:57 PM5/18/23
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Ertan.

Is a generic problem. The software aleatory freezes during the operation.
As is aleatory I could not reproduce or debug it, so I have to make a diagnostic trying to identify differences between that customer and others. One difference is the FB version.

Atenciosamente,

Hugo

Dimitry Sibiryakov

May 18, 2023, 3:08:46 PM5/18/23
Hugo Eyng | Datamais wrote 18.05.2023 20:31:
> As is aleatory I could not reproduce or debug it, so I have to make a diagnostic
> trying to identify differences between that customer and others.

Actually it is quite easy to diagnose. All you need is to look at call stacks
during the freeze using Process Explorer. Alternatively you can ask the customer
to create memory dump and then analyze it with debugger.

--
WBR, SD.

Carlos H. Cantu

May 18, 2023, 3:13:02 PM5/18/23
to Hugo Eyng | Datamais

Actually the diferences may not be so obvious. For example, it can be related to the way that customer uses your software. An example: if the customer does something that produces a considerable number of backversions/garbage, there will be a lot of garbage to be collected at some point and this can cause the feeling that it frozen when actually it is just collection tons of garbage.

A simple example of this is can be demonstrated with the following sequence... using an exclusive connection:

1) Delete all the records from a huge table with millions of records.

2) Commit

so far this should have been fast.

3) Run a simple select * from that (now empty) table. You will see that it can take minutes or even hours to the select to return an empty dataset! That's because it found a huge amount of garbage (the deleted records) and collected it while visiting the data pages.

[]s

Carlos

www.firebirdnews.org - www.FireBase.com.br

Elmar Haneke

May 19, 2023, 4:04:11 AM5/19/23
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

> What I mean is that I am not sure about what causes the issue I am
> facing. As I tried a lot of options and did not succeed, and the only
> thing I saw different between the installation in the customer I I am
> talking about and others is that this customer has FB 4 and the others
> have FB 2.5.

That means your application is designed for FB 2.5. and you get a
problem reported from an customer using the software with FB4.0.

In this case it might help to user gbak utility from FB2.5 to backup
database from FB4 server. I have sucessfully done so in case of FB3.
It's worth trying on FB4.

Elmar

Hugo Eyng | Datamais

May 19, 2023, 10:05:55 AM5/19/23