Server crashes during database restore

Tomasz Dubiel

Nov 26, 2021, 2:33:26 AM11/26/21
to firebird-support
Hello.
One of our customer has a weird problem. Debian 11.1, Firebird 2.5.9 Classic Server, 54 GB - size of the database. Server crashes during the database restore. Database sometimes restores to 10-20 GB, sometimes more or less and then server crashes. There are no worrying entries in syslog, kern.log, firebird.log etc. The temperature of the CPU is not also high - around 40 just before the crash. Load 1.58, (nproc = 8), plenty of RAM available and there was no big RAM usage.
It's not problem with the database. On our servers database is restored successfuly from the backup. What can be the reason?
Best regards.

Tomasz Tyrakowski

Nov 26, 2021, 2:58:26 AM11/26/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
In my past experience, all sudden unexplained OS crashes during DB
operations ended up being a hardware problem (mostly RAM, sometimes
storage or motherboard/chipset). 54GB database isn't a problem for FB
(I've got several 100GB+ DBs on FB 2.5.9). Try memcheck-ing the machine
and check the disks to eliminate the most obvious reasons first. Only
after that look for software issues.

regards
Tomasz

Tomasz Dubiel

Nov 26, 2021, 3:00:42 AM11/26/21
to firebird-support
Our customer claims he had already done that. It's fine.

Tomasz Tyrakowski

Nov 26, 2021, 3:19:39 AM11/26/21
On 26.11.2021 at 09:00, Tomasz Dubiel wrote:
> Our customer claims he had already done that. It's fine.

Do you trust this particular customer? I've had a case when a customer
called ten minutes after being advised to run memtest, claiming that
memtest said there were no errors (which proved he didn't even start the
thing).
Anyway, if the hardware really is OK and there are no entries in any log
file indicating a possible source of the problem, I don't think I can help.

regards
Tomasz

Rafik Berzi

Nov 26, 2021, 9:09:56 AM11/26/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Check the temp settings

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Nov 29, 2021, 2:17:51 PM11/29/21
Tomasz Dubiel wrote 26.11.2021 8:33:
> Server crashes during the database restore. Database sometimes restores to 10-20
> GB, sometimes more or less and then server crashes. There are no worrying
> entries in syslog, kern.log, firebird.log etc.

Try this: http://www.ibphoenix.com/resources/documents/development/doc_36
I don't know about Debian, perhaps it also should be configured to produce
kernel panic dumps.

--
WBR, SD.

AlexPeshkoff

Nov 30, 2021, 2:52:36 AM11/30/21
to firebird-support
Taking into an account that:

1. Database sometimes restores to 10-20 GB, sometimes more or less and then server crashes.
2. On our servers database is restored successfuly from the backup.

That is not firebird problem.

понедельник, 29 ноября 2021 г. в 22:17:51 UTC+3, sd:

Tomasz Tyrakowski

Nov 30, 2021, 3:55:08 AM11/30/21
On 30.11.2021 at 08:52, AlexPeshkoff wrote:
> Taking into an account that:
>
> 1. Database sometimes restores to 10-20 GB, sometimes more or less and then
> server crashes.
> 2. On our servers database is restored successfuly from the backup.
>
> That is not firebird problem.

Also, it would be nice if the OP could clarify whether "server crashes"
means Firebird server crash or the whole Debian system crash. When I
suggested a hardware problem earlier, I assumed the latter, but I'm not
so sure anymore.

regards
Tomasz

Tomasz Dubiel

Nov 30, 2021, 7:10:21 AM11/30/21
to firebird-support

I meant the whole Debian system crashes.

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Nov 30, 2021, 7:13:11 AM11/30/21
Tomasz Dubiel wrote 30.11.2021 13:10:
> I meant the whole Debian system crashes.

In this case it is definitely not a Firebird problem but still it is good to
catch some crash dumps to narrow the source.

--
WBR, SD.

Virgo Pärna

Nov 30, 2021, 7:14:06 AM11/30/21
On 2021-11-30 14:10, Tomasz Dubiel wrote:

> I meant the whole Debian system crashes.

On Debian Firebird runs as non-privileged user by default, so I really
do not see, how it could be Firebird issue, if operating system crashes.

--
Virgo Pärna
Gaiasoft OÜ

Alex Peshkoff

Nov 30, 2021, 8:34:15 AM11/30/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Do you wish to analyze kernel crash dump?

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Nov 30, 2021, 8:39:36 AM11/30/21
'Alex Peshkoff' via firebird-support wrote 30.11.2021 14:34:
>>   In this case it is definitely not a Firebird problem but still it is good to
>> catch some crash dumps to narrow the source.
>>

> Do you wish to analyze kernel crash dump?

Me not. But Debian guys may be interested and in any case it can show faulted
module.

--
WBR, SD.