Information Schema

Dalton Calford

Jul 3, 2024, 10:23:05 AM (5 days ago) Jul 3
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking of doing up a series of information schema for firebird version 5.

Has anyone else attempted to do this?

The reason I want to do this, is that I am seeing many different version specific problems with getting metadata from a database.

for example.

create a boolean field in a table.   use isql to show the metadata and it shows " BINARY(1) Nullable default false" instead of boolean.   When I use flamerobin, I get "CHAR(1) CHARACTER SET OCTETS DEFAULT FALSE".  Depending upon the tool, I get different results, which is difficult for a new user trying to work with the database.   It is a pain for experienced users who are just looking to get metadata extracts that look like the commands they gave the database.

There are many cases of this, from what information is shown to how it is formatted.

I was thinking of a selectable stored procedure to return database information, much in the same way that other databases have it - without having to parse the underlying system tables.

Would this be of interest to anyone?
If yes, what items would you want in it?

I am thinking of putting it into a package called "Information"

Thoughts?

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jul 3, 2024, 10:30:14 AM (5 days ago) Jul 3
Dalton Calford wrote 03.07.2024 16:22:
> for example.
>
> create a boolean field in a table.   use isql to show the metadata and it
> shows " BINARY(1) Nullable default false" instead of boolean.

Cannot confirm that:

SQL> create table b(b boolean);
SQL> show table b;
B BOOLEAN Nullable
SQL> show version;
ISQL Version: WI-T5.0.0.1163 Firebird 5.0 Beta 2
Server version:
Firebird/Windows/AMD/Intel/x64 (access method), version "WI-T5.0.0.1163 Firebird
5.0 Beta 2"
on disk structure version 13.1

--
WBR, SD.

Dalton Calford

Jul 3, 2024, 10:35:09 AM (5 days ago) Jul 3
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
SQL> show version;
ISQL Version: LI-V5.0.0.1306 Firebird 5.0
Server version:
Firebird/Linux/AMD/Intel/x64 (access method), version "LI-V5.0.0.1306 Firebird 5.0"
Firebird/Linux/AMD/Intel/x64 (remote server), version "LI-V5.0.0.1306 Firebird 5.0/tcp (AM-Firebird10)/P18:C"
Firebird/Linux/AMD/Intel/x64 (remote interface), version "LI-V5.0.0.1306 Firebird 5.0/tcp (AM-Firebird10)/P18:C"
on disk structure version 13.1
SQL>

image.png

created as boolean fields

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jul 3, 2024, 10:39:06 AM (5 days ago) Jul 3
Dalton Calford wrote 03.07.2024 16:34:
> created as boolean fields

Let me guess: you created the field in FlameRobin which is not aware of real
boolean fields and shows "unnatural intelligence" creating binary(1) instead?

--
WBR, SD.

Dalton Calford

Jul 3, 2024, 10:42:24 AM (5 days ago) Jul 3
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
You may be right - why in h-e-double hockey sticks would they translate a script that should be passed as is to the underlying engine?

Is there a better tool out there that supports Firebird 5?

Ertan Küçükoglu

Jul 3, 2024, 10:44:26 AM (5 days ago) Jul 3
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jul 3, 2024, 10:45:34 AM (5 days ago) Jul 3
Dalton Calford wrote 03.07.2024 16:42:
> You may be right - why in h-e-double hockey sticks would they translate a script
> that should be passed as is to the underlying engine?

Because someone thought that this was a great idea...?

> Is there a better tool out there that supports Firebird 5?

ISQL.

--
WBR, SD.

Carlos H. Cantu

Jul 3, 2024, 11:14:09 AM (5 days ago) Jul 3
to Dalton Calford

There are so many tools :-)

Some of the free ones:

RedExpert

Firebird Editor Pro

And obviously the gold/old stuff (with "personal" free versions):

IBExpert

Database Workbench

[]s

Carlos

www.firebirdnews.org - www.FireBase.com.br

Dalton Calford

Jul 3, 2024, 12:00:50 PM (5 days ago) Jul 3
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
I purchased Database Workbench to support MSSQL/FIREBIRD/MARIADB.

I dislike the interface and find some things very limited.

I wanted a windowed/graphical interface for linux (similar to the old wisql utility from back in the day) but it does not seem to exist.

I have been able to show that firebird can hold its own against most of the competitors for my current company, BUT, the user interface tools are lacking.   Currently starting testing on texteditor pro for firebird.

I dislike RedExpert and dbeaver (general dislike of Java)  never heard of firebird editor pro.

Truth be told, I would fix flamerobin if I could get it to compile in its current state for linux, BUT, although I can get it to compile and run, the timezone handling does not work for linux but does for windows.   I don't have the time to debug someone else's crossplatform code in addition to anything I break with my own changes.

I have been away from a firebird environment for over 6 years since I left my last company and my current project involves porting everything over from a MS shop to a nix/firebird environment.   So time and resources are limited and everything is being refactored.

Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions)

Jul 3, 2024, 12:49:34 PM (5 days ago) Jul 3
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dalton,

Not all new/planned features of Firebird 5, of course, but BOOLEAN, yes, no problem. And no ‘translation’ of scripts, feel free to try Database Workbench for a full GUI development tool.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
https://www.upscene.com

Database Workbench - developer tool for Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MariaDB, InterBase, SQLite, NexusDB and Firebird.

Sent: Wednesday, July 3, 2024 4:42 PM
Subject: Re: [firebird-support] Information Schema

On Wed, Jul 3, 2024 at 10:39 AM 'Dimitry Sibiryakov' via firebird-support <firebird...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Dalton Calford wrote 03.07.2024 16:34:
> created as boolean fields

   Let me guess: you created the field in FlameRobin which is not aware of real
boolean fields and shows "unnatural intelligence" creating binary(1) instead?

--
   WBR, SD.

Dalton Calford

Jul 3, 2024, 1:03:29 PM (5 days ago) Jul 3
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
I am having issues with Database workbench under wine/bottles.

I already own a copy and I use it for datapumping/system testing.
I dislike some of the UI design approaches you have taken, but, I understand why you made them (supporting more than Firebird with a single UI)
Some issues, such as role/user management needs updating/fixing, etc.   From my standpoint, your product is excellent up to a point, and that point is fully supporting all the new firebird 5 features and given the amount of work that requires, I can not fault you for not supporting them all at this current time.    I am constantly reviewing and will come back to your tools again, I just hate having to run a dedicated VM to use them.

IF your software was compiled to run on linux (debian/ubuntu as the target, preferably kde) in addition to windows, I would have no reservations in recommending it.
If you decide to invest in that path, I would be willing to assist in testing since I already have a license for database workbench for three different database platforms.

But right now, I am looking for a non-java, cross platform gui that supports all the firebird 5 features.

Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions)

Jul 4, 2024, 7:32:40 AM (4 days ago) Jul 4
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dalton,

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated.

That said, there will be no native Linux version, the 3rd party components used are not ported to non-Windows versions, the functionality they provide cannot be easily be replaced.

I’d be interested in know more about the problems you’re having with Wine though, feel free to write me personally.

Mark Rotteveel

Jul 4, 2024, 10:04:08 AM (4 days ago) Jul 4
On 03/07/2024 16:22, Dalton Calford wrote:
> The reason I want to do this, is that I am seeing many different version
> specific problems with getting metadata from a database.
>
> for example.
>
> create a boolean field in a table.   use isql to show the metadata and
> it shows " BINARY(1) Nullable default false" instead of boolean.   When
> I use flamerobin, I get "CHAR(1) CHARACTER SET OCTETS DEFAULT FALSE".
> Depending upon the tool, I get different results, which is difficult for
> a new user trying to work with the database.   It is a pain for
> experienced users who are just looking to get metadata extracts that
> look like the commands they gave the database.

That suggests that you have a domain called BOOLEAN defined as BINARY(1)
or as CHAR(1) CHARACTER SET OCTETS, and it hides the built-in datatype
BOOLEAN (or your tables were defined _before_ Firebird 3.0 using such a
domain). So, you aren't using the built-in datatype BOOLEAN!

In any case, CHAR(n) CHARACTER SET OCTETS has been aliased as BINARY(n)
since Firebird 4[1], so both ISQL and FlameRobin are right, but
FlameRobin wasn't changed to use the SQL standard names supported since
Firebird 4.

Mark

[1]:
https://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/release_notes/html/en/4_0/rlsnotes40.html#rnfb40-ddl-varbinary
--
Mark Rotteveel

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jul 4, 2024, 10:11:09 AM (4 days ago) Jul 4
'Mark Rotteveel' via firebird-support wrote 04.07.2024 16:03:
> That suggests that you have a domain called BOOLEAN defined as BINARY(1) or as
> CHAR(1) CHARACTER SET OCTETS, and it hides the built-in datatype BOOLEAN

This domain would be seen in ISQL output.

--
WBR, SD.