How to shutdown and start firebird 3.0.8 in debian (11/amd64)

Pablo Sánchez

Apr 6, 2021, 7:00:39 PM4/6/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
I'm testing version 3.0.8 superserver (tarball) on debian 11, which so far runs smoothly .

As this is no a debian package I have no way to stop/start the server "normally".
Currently I'm using kill -SIGTERM to (gracely) shutdown and  ./fbguard & to start .

I'm quite reluctant to create systemd units, so: is there any sane way to handle start and stop the server ?

Regards

Pablo

Jim McNamara

Apr 6, 2021, 7:15:59 PM4/6/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hi-

Isn't there something like /etc/inet.d?

Try googling how to get a firebird start/stop script there and its permissions/ownership. Some people in the list will know more.

Thnx,
Robo-loki

Jim McNamara

Apr 6, 2021, 7:47:11 PM4/6/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pablo,

2 things...

Dont make mistake of running server as root.

Also, if you issued command install.sh, the install script put that file in a directory and you just need to copy it over to somewhere off of /etc/...

You can use catfish to see where firebird installed the tarball files.

Once you copy it there, do a chmod +x
You will have to figure out owner, group, and permissions.

I hope this kind of helps.

Robo-loki

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021, 7:00 PM Pablo Sánchez <safari...@vera.com.uy> wrote:

Jim McNamara

Apr 6, 2021, 7:57:05 PM4/6/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

Pablo Sánchez

Apr 6, 2021, 11:34:22 PM4/6/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Jim, thanks for your input .
I'm playing with an unreleased debian and firebird, so I guess things
need to be polished further .

When I looked on /etc/init.d/ it felt a bit suprised, because the script was
always there .
I'll try to build/copy from the url you sent .

Firebird is installed and running on its own user. To create new "local
user" for a database the easier way is to run as root user to use local connection.

Regards

Pablo

De: "Jim McNamara" <nefario...@gmail.com>
Para: firebird...@googlegroups.com
Enviados: Martes, 6 de Abril 2021 20:15:47
Asunto: Re: [firebird-support] How to shutdown and start firebird 3.0.8 in debian (11/amd64)

Hamish Moffatt

Apr 11, 2021, 7:36:31 PM4/11/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

Debian 11 (unreleased) has Firebird 3.0.7 which is the current release according to firebirdsql.org. Is there any reason you don't just use the Debian packages?

If you must use 3.0.8 then my suggestions are either: use the Debian packaging to package 3.0.8 and install that, or at least copy the systemd unit file from the package and modify it for your local Firebird install.

Don't be afraid of systemd, it is not difficult to write unit files.

Hamish

P-Soft - Fabio Codebue

Apr 13, 2021, 9:38:14 AM4/13/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
How I can connect to firebird on a filemaker app from MacOS?

Fabio Codebue

P-SOFT di Codebue Fabio

Via Nuova n. 9 - 24060 Tavernola B.sca (BG)

P.I. 03624950162

C.F. CDBFBA72A11C618T

Mobile: +39.348.3515786

Fax: +39.030.5100306