Re: BLOB SIze Differences between 2.5. 3.x. 4.x Firebird versions???

Steve Naidamast

Jul 13, 2022, 1:52:10 PMJul 13
to firebird-support
Hello...

Is there a size difference as to the size of BLOB data between the 2.5 version and the other
versions of Firebird?

I ask because I have recently begun using IBExpert Personal edition where I am attempting to move data from version 2.5 of Firebird (where the BLOB data has been successfully stored and retrieved) to version 4.0.1 of Firebird.

When I attempt to upload the BLOB data some of the records do not have their BLOB data uploaded with the rest of the record data as IBExpert reports an error that the BLOB data is too large.

I havebeen using Firebird 2.5 to support a document management system I have recently released and want to eventually upgrade the database to Firebird 4.0.1...

Thank you.

Steve Naidamast
Sr. Software Engineer

Mark Rotteveel

Jul 14, 2022, 2:00:25 AMJul 14
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
The maximum blob size is related to the page size, but even then you can
store blobs slightly smaller than 4GB with page size 4096, larger page
sizes allow you to store even larger blobs (though some API functions
expect blobs of 4GB or less). The only possible reason I can think of
would be if the file is very big (lots of GBs), and you created the
database with a smaller page size than your Firebird 2.5 database.

I guess this could be an IBExpert limitation, but as I don't use
IBExpert myself, I'm not sure about that.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Steve Naidamast

Jul 14, 2022, 12:43:39 PMJul 14
to firebird-support
Mark...

Thank you for your notes.

May I ask which database manager you use for Firebird?

I had been using SQLManager's  product for many years but their recent upgrade contained so many bugs that I requested a refund.

Steve Naidamast

Mark Rotteveel

Jul 15, 2022, 4:54:04 AMJul 15
On 14-07-2022 18:43, Steve Naidamast wrote:
> Thank you for your notes.
>
> May I ask which database manager you use for Firebird?
>
> I had been using SQLManager's  product for many years but their recent
> upgrade contained so many bugs that I requested a refund.

I normally use DBeaver, which is not Firebird specific, and I don't
recall ever having used it to upload blobs, so I wouldn't know how it
behaves with that.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Stanislav Hruška

Jul 15, 2022, 7:53:07 AMJul 15
to firebird-support
I personally do not recommend EMS SQL manager. I am using DB Workbench. I am very satisfied with him.
I also had IBExpert. He wasn't that intuitive to me. But that's when I started.

Dátum: piatok 15. júla 2022, čas: 10:54:04 UTC+2, odosielateľ: ma...@lawinegevaar.nl

Steve Naidamast

Jul 15, 2022, 11:25:18 AMJul 15
to firebird-support
Thank you both for your recommendations.

I am going to take a look at both of them...  :-)

Steve Naidamast