Firewall port 3050

Kyle Green

Jun 1, 2021, 11:53:20 PM6/1/21
to firebird-support
I have firebird and a webserver running on the same Windows Server 19 box. I want to close port 3050 to outside access, no other machine needs access. But I don't know enough about firewalls to know whether that will affect the internal connection from my websites, and FlameRobin.

Can I safely close the port? Or can I partially close the port?

Thanks,

Kyle

Wavey Maple

Jun 2, 2021, 12:04:50 AM6/2/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
You can specify a different port in the connection on both ends, so it shouldn't be an issue.

David

Dave Schulz

Jun 2, 2021, 1:01:35 AM6/2/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
It should affect much, if anything, because a lot of applications aren't going to  be using port 3050. If it does, you can always change the port.

Scott Morgan

Jun 2, 2021, 5:58:00 AM6/2/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
If both are running on the same machine, you should be able to safely
close the port to outside access. Whatever the webserver's app is doing
to connect will probably be either direct file access or via the
localhost loopback.

Worst case, if for some reason it does block the webserver, it's quick
and easy to revert.

Scott

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jun 2, 2021, 6:01:12 AM6/2/21
02.06.2021 04:50, Kyle Green wrote:
> I have firebird and a webserver running on the same Windows Server 19 box.

In this case it is enough to change RemoteBindAddress in firebird.conf to "localhost"
or "127.0.0.1".

--
WBR, SD.

Rustam

Jun 2, 2021, 6:23:54 AM6/2/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
In Windows Firewall's 'Inbound rules' create rule for port 3050 and use tab 'Scope' to limit IP adresses, from which port will be accesible. Allow connections only for 'localhost' (127.0.0.1) or LAN (e.g.192.168.0.1/24)

Kyle Green:

I want to close port 3050 to outside access, no other machine needs access. But I don't know enough about firewalls to know.

Kyle Green

Jun 2, 2021, 3:58:35 PM6/2/21
to firebird-support
Thank you all for these good ideas, I will try some and report back for reference!