Firebird ODBC Connector DTC errors

Stephen Williamson

Apr 21, 2021, 10:07:18 AM4/21/21
to firebird-support
We have a linked server to a firebird database using the ODBC connector, I can query the server using openquery and create views that are running on the server

Both Databases, FB and SQL are on the same box

When I try to create a linked table in our ERP system, it tries to run the table, then creates errors, the query was rolled back, and the following one

the following sql error was unexpected, The operation could not be performed  because OLE DB Provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "FIREBIRD" was unable to begin a distributed transaction

I have read up on the error and tried everything I can find, DTCPing works correctly across both servers and no firewall is up.

Any advice

Mark Rotteveel

Apr 21, 2021, 10:15:39 AM4/21/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
You might want to consider posting your question on the
firebird-odbc-devel list (see
https://sourceforge.net/projects/firebird/lists/firebird-odbc-devel).

It has been very quiet over there lately, but it is probably the better
place to ask your question there.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

P-Soft - Fabio Codebue

Apr 21, 2021, 10:45:42 AM4/21/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Is there an ODBC driver I can use with filemaker?
Or some driver to connect firebird from Filemaker?

Fabio Codebue

P-SOFT di Codebue Fabio

Via Nuova n. 9 - 24060 Tavernola B.sca (BG)

P.I. 03624950162

C.F. CDBFBA72A11C618T

Mobile: +39.348.3515786

Fax: +39.030.5100306

Web: http://www.p-soft.biz

pec: amminis...@pec.p-soft.biz
cod.intermediario SDI: KRRH6B9

Mark Rotteveel

Apr 21, 2021, 11:11:14 AM4/21/21
On 21-04-2021 16:45, P-Soft - Fabio Codebue wrote:
> Is there an ODBC driver I can use with filemaker?
> Or some driver to connect firebird from Filemaker?

I have no idea what Filemaker is, but if it can use ODBC, then you can
download the ODBC driver here: https://www.firebirdsql.org/en/odbc-driver/

You need to use the 32-bit or 64-bit variant depending on the bitness of
Filemaker.

Mark

--
Mark Rotteveel

P-Soft - Fabio Codebue

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "firebird-support" group.

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Apr 21, 2021, 11:44:09 AM4/21/21
21.04.2021 16:15, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
>> the following sql error was unexpected, The operation could not be performed  because
>> OLE DB Provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "FIREBIRD" was unable to begin a distributed
>> transaction
>>
>> I have read up on the error and tried everything I can find, DTCPing works correctly
>> across both servers and no firewall is up.
>
> You might want to consider posting your question on the firebird-odbc-devel list (see
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/firebird/lists/firebird-odbc-devel).

Better would be contact Microsoft support asking for a way to find out what exactly
error happen because quoted message is completely useless for investigation: ODBC as such
has no support for distributed transactions at all.

--
WBR, SD.

Fred Evans

Apr 22, 2021, 8:31:17 AM4/22/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hello mark-
Sorry about this "stupid " question but please humour me !!
I am 79 years old and in my "youth" I did a lot of programming using various dos- based
Programming languages.
I haven’t programmed for many years and the new terminology has got me scratching my head
I read a lot about "ODBC drivers" . what is an ODBC driver and how is it used?
Regards

Fred

Mark Rotteveel

Apr 22, 2021, 8:36:03 AM4/22/21
On 2021-04-22 10:17, Fred Evans wrote:
> Hello mark-
> Sorry about this "stupid " question but please humour me !!
> I am 79 years old and in my "youth" I did a lot of programming using
> various dos- based
> Programming languages.
> I haven’t programmed for many years and the new terminology has got me
> scratching my head
> I read a lot about "ODBC drivers" . what is an ODBC driver and how is
> it used?

ODBC or Open DataBase Connectivity is a standard for database drivers.
It was created by Microsoft in the late '80s or early '90s for a common
API for database drivers.

See also this page from Microsoft:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/odbc/reference/what-is-odbc?view=sql-server-ver15
and the Firebird ODBC driver documentation:
https://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/html/en/refdocs/fbodbc20/firebird-odbc-driver-20-manual.html

Mark

Tomasz Tyrakowski

Apr 22, 2021, 8:37:40 AM4/22/21
On 22.04.2021 at 10:17, Fred Evans wrote:
> Hello mark-
> Sorry about this "stupid " question but please humour me !!
> I am 79 years old and in my "youth" I did a lot of programming using various dos- based
> Programming languages.
> I haven’t programmed for many years and the new terminology has got me scratching my head
> I read a lot about "ODBC drivers" . what is an ODBC driver and how is it used?
> Regards
>
> Fred

Maybe start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Database_Connectivity

or here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/odbc/reference/what-is-odbc?view=sql-server-ver15

and just follow the links if you get interested.

cheers
Tomasz

Ta wiadomość zawiera poufne informacje przeznaczone tylko dla adresata. Jeżeli nie jesteście Państwo jej adresatem, bądź otrzymaliście ją przez pomyłkę, prosimy o powiadomienie o tym nadawcy oraz trwałe jej usunięcie.

Fred Evans

Apr 23, 2021, 3:37:44 AM4/23/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Thank you ver much