Problems with chacha in Firebird 4.0 Win64

em...@tot-consult.com

Jun 2, 2021, 3:04:14 AMJun 2
to firebird-support
I made a clean install of the brand new Firebird 4.0 Win64. The installation went smoothly, but I ended up with 32-bit applications unable to connect.

The reason is that they cannot load the new Firebird 4 32-bit client library, which was promptly placed by the installer in c:\windows\SysWoW64, but with the default encryption plugin being now chacha, the 32-bit chacha.dll cannot be loaded. Instead, an attempt is made to load the 64-bit chacha.dll, which is in the plugins directory.

I downloaded the 32-bit zip kit and extracted the 32-bit chacha.dll, but I can't figure where I should put it so that it is found instead of the 64-bit.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Emil

Mark Rotteveel

Jun 3, 2021, 11:49:44 AMJun 3
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
The other thread (titled "SQL Manager Lite for Firebird - Firebird 4.0")
suggests that it should be in plugin/chacha.dll relative to the DLL.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

em...@tot-consult.com

Jun 4, 2021, 1:13:23 AMJun 4
to firebird-support
Thanks, I was following that too.
My own workaround was to put a firebird.conf in the SysWOW64 directory with only the line 'WireCryptPlugin =  Arc4'.

Strange thing is I can't reproduce it any more, after I upgraded my 32-bit FlameRobin to a new version. It seems to work now even if I don't have a 32-bit chacha.dll on my system at all. (I removed the one-line firebird.conf) Maybe it depends on how exactly the application tries to load the client dll, I remember someone saying that the client should silently ignore missing chacha.dll, and that seems to happen now  - maybe it doesn't work in all circumstances.

Virgo Pärna

Jun 4, 2021, 2:09:34 AMJun 4
On 4.06.2021 8:13, em...@tot-consult.com wrote:

> Strange thing is I can't reproduce it any more, after I upgraded my
> 32-bit FlameRobin to a new version. It seems to work now even if I don't
> have a 32-bit chacha.dll on my system at all. (I removed the one-line
> firebird.conf) Maybe it depends on how exactly the application tries to
> load the client dll, I remember someone saying that the client should
> silently ignore missing chacha.dll, and that seems to happen now  -
> maybe it doesn't work in all circumstances.

If server does not have arc4 disabled, then it is able to connect to
Firebird 4 server even without chacha.dll. It automatically falls back
to arc4. Although, my testing did not include any 64 bit Firebird dll-s.

--
Virgo Pärna
Gaiasoft OÜ