Firebird connection problems

Peter

Feb 24, 2021, 1:36:01 AM2/24/21
to firebird-support
Maybe my experience can provide a clue.

In general I am using FB 2.9. Recently I decided to test whether using FB 4 RC1 will present problems with our applications and did the following
Uninstall FB 2.9, removing all components with the uninstall process
Install FB 4 RC, installing fbclient.dll and gds32.dll
Testing the brought up some problems but investigation was not possible because I didn't have the time. So I
Unistall FB4 , removing all components with the uninstall process
Install FB 2.9. I am not sure whether I did install gds32.dll here

Trying to run our programs then presented the following
Load module A - no problem
Load module B - error, database not available
Unload module A
Load module B - no problem
Load module A - error, database not available

IOW only one module could access the database. I was pretty sure that it had something to do with the FB4 installation as I had never such problems before

In order to get my computer back to working I did this, always removing all components
Uninstall FB 2.9
Install FB 4
Uninstall FB4
Check that fbclient.dll and gds32.dll was removed from the Windows folders. Lo and behold I still found a gds32.dll in it.
I manually deleted gds32.dll
Install FB 2.9 with the fbclient.dll and gds32.dll option checked.

My machine was working again as it should. It seems to me that the FB 4 RC1 uninstall does not remove all the files (gds32.dll) even if instructed to do so. Could FB3 unistallers have the same problem?

Peter
Technisoft

Mark Rotteveel

Feb 24, 2021, 4:24:58 AM2/24/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
On 2021-02-24 07:36, Peter wrote:
> Maybe my experience can provide a clue.
>
> In general I am using FB 2.9. Recently I decided to test whether using
> FB 4 RC1 will present problems with our applications and did the
> following
> Uninstall FB 2.9, removing all components with the uninstall process
> Install FB 4 RC, installing fbclient.dll and gds32.dll
> Testing the brought up some problems but investigation was not
> possible because I didn't have the time. So I
> Unistall FB4 , removing all components with the uninstall process
>
> Install FB 2.9. I am not sure whether I did install gds32.dll here

There is no such thing as Firebird 2.9, did you mean 2.5.9?

> Trying to run our programs then presented the following
> Load module A - no problem
> Load module B - error, database not available
> Unload module A
> Load module B - no problem
>
> Load module A - error, database not available
>
> IOW only one module could access the database. I was pretty sure that
> it had something to do with the FB4 installation as I had never such
> problems before

How are you connecting? What connection string are you using? It sounds
like you specify a simple filepath, which since Firebird 3 might use
Firebird Embedded, where in Firebird 2.5.x, it would likely use XNET to
connect to the local Firebird server. When using Firebird Embedded,
depending on the configuration, it will run in SuperServer mode by
default, which means only a single process can access the file. So -
assuming your modules are separate applications - the second application
will not be able to open the file

Change your connection string so it connects through the server, by
connecting through localhost, or explicitly specify an xnet connection
string (see Firebird 3 release notes,
https://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/release_notes/html/en/3_0/rlsnotes30.html#rnfb30-engine-modes-protocols).

> In order to get my computer back to working I did this, always
> removing all components
>
> Uninstall FB 2.9
> Install FB 4
> Uninstall FB4
> Check that fbclient.dll and gds32.dll was removed from the Windows
> folders. Lo and behold I still found a gds32.dll in it.
> I manually deleted gds32.dll
> Install FB 2.9 with the fbclient.dll and gds32.dll option checked.
>
> My machine was working again as it should. It seems to me that the FB
> 4 RC1 uninstall does not remove all the files (gds32.dll) even if
> instructed to do so. Could FB3 unistallers have the same problem?

Report it in the tracker, but I thought the Firebird installer never
removed them.

Mark

Peter

Feb 24, 2021, 10:17:26 AM2/24/21
to firebird-support
Sorry, of course I mean FB 2.5.9 and not FB 2.9
I am connecting using localhost:database_alias which is defined in aliases.conf (FB 2.5) or databases.conf (FB 4)
I am using a shortcut with some arguments to start the modules, so there is no change in the connection strings.

Technisoft
Peter

Mark Rotteveel

Feb 24, 2021, 11:20:59 AM2/24/21
On 24-02-2021 16:17, Peter wrote:
> Sorry, of course I mean FB 2.5.9 and not FB 2.9
> I am connecting using localhost:database_alias which is defined in
> aliases.conf (FB 2.5) or databases.conf (FB 4)
> I am using a shortcut with some arguments to start the modules, so there
> is no change in the connection strings.

What is the full error message, and is there something in firebird.log?

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel