Can dependency checking be disabled while re-typing columns?

21 visualizzazioni
Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

Wavey Maple

da leggere,
19 feb 2021, 00:48:0619/02/21
a firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

BACKGROUND:
Legacy application running on Windows with Firebird v2.5.9, where I had created a custom "BOOLEAN" DOMAIN using a smallint as per:
http://www.firebirdfaq.org/faq12/

However I am now upgrading to Firebird 3.0.7, and I want to DROP those fields using this custom DOMAIN and replace with the native boolean type. All of this is being done programmatically when the application starts. To do this, I am simply ALTERing the various TABLEs by ADDing new COLUMNs, copying over the values, DROPping the old COLUMNs, and renaming the natively-typed boolean columns back to the original name. All of this works fine, except...

PROBLEM:
When I come to committing the transaction, it fails with an error stating that there are dependencies. This is because of a large, unwieldy PROCEDURE that uses those COLUMNs that are being touched. Experimenting and DROPing the PROCEDURE sees the dependency error disappear and the transaction succeeds. Re-creating this procedure is not an option.

QUESTION:
So is there a way to temporarily turn off this kind of dependency checking? Then I could run my script, and turn it back on again.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
David

Mark Rotteveel

da leggere,
19 feb 2021, 04:13:5119/02/21
a firebird...@googlegroups.com
No, there is no way to turn of dependency checking. Why is recreating
this procedure not an option, is it because of losing the privileges
granted on that object? Would altering the procedure to an empty body
and then after the changes, altering it back to its normal body work for
you?

Mark
Rispondi a tutti
Rispondi all'autore