Failed to load UC icu module version 6.7

Michal Vrba

Mar 10, 2021, 2:03:07 PM3/10/21
to firebird-support
I have downloaded icu module verion 6.7 a year ago to create right sorting collection for Czech language. Everything was working fine until now. In server log is a message: failed to load UC icu module version 6.7. I have tried to download even newer version 6.8, but with the same result. Also it is interesting that this problem is on Windows 2012 server and my testing instalation on Windows 10 with the same configuration is working fine.
 Does anybody have similar problem ?

Vlad Khorsun

Mar 14, 2021, 7:14:49 PM3/14/21
to firebird-support
I have downloaded icu module verion 6.7 a year ago to create right sorting collection for Czech language. Everything was working fine until now. In server log is a message: failed to load UC icu module version 6.7. I have tried to download even newer version 6.8, but with the same result. Also it is interesting that this problem is on Windows 2012 server and my testing instalation on Windows 10 with the same configuration is working fine.

  What exactly package did you download ? Note, there is no such ICU version as 6.7 or 6.8, the latest one is 68.2.
  Why can't you use ICU provided with Firebird ?

Regards,
Vlad

Mark Rotteveel

Mar 15, 2021, 7:44:13 AM3/15/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
On 15-03-2021 00:14, Vlad Khorsun wrote:
>   What exactly package did you download ? Note, there is no such ICU
> version as 6.7 or 6.8, the latest one is 68.2.
>   Why can't you use ICU provided with Firebird ?

At a guess, maybe because the ICU version included on Windows is
incomplete (as in: doesn't contain additional collations, so you cannot
create custom collations).

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Michal Vrba

Mar 15, 2021, 7:44:35 AM3/15/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hi, previously I have downloaded version 67 and it was working. These was DLL files for win64, stored in Firebird_3_0 directory.
But Firebird did not accepted new numbering convention from ICU, it has to be written as 6.7. So I have in my INTL directory in file fbintl.conf the first section:
intl_module = builtin {
    icu_versions = 6.7 default
}

The reason for it is that ICU provided by Firebird does not contain right sorting order for Czech language.
It is working fine for Win1250 but for UTF8 it is not sorting right - ignore accents charecters. (COLLATE UNICODE_CI).
So I have found on google somewhere suggestion to download new ICU and create collation for myself by:
create collation UNICODE_CSCZ_CI
   for UTF8
   from UNICODE
   case insensitive
   'LOCALE=cs_CZ;ICU-VERSION=6.7';
This configuration is still working on my Windows 10, but stop working on Windows 2012 server with a message:
failed to load UC icu module version 6.7

I have also tried the newest version of ICU 68.2 with the same results.

Maybe there is a better way for sorting, but I did not find any.

Michal

Vlad Khorsun

Mar 15, 2021, 9:58:43 AM3/15/21
to firebird-support

Hi, previously I have downloaded version 67 and it was working. These was DLL files for win64, stored in Firebird_3_0 directory.
This configuration is still working on my Windows 10, but stop working on Windows 2012 server with a message:
failed to load UC icu module version 6.7

I have also tried the newest version of ICU 68.2 with the same results.

  Looks like your Win2012 machine missed MSVC CRT libraries required for ICU: ICU 67 is built with  MSVC 2017,
while ICU 68 is built with MSVC 2019. So, you should install corresponding package, see

Hope it helps,
Vlad

PS FB3 is built with MSVC2010 and provides own ICU 52 binaries built with the same compiler.

Michal Vrba

Mar 15, 2021, 10:07:42 AM3/15/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
It was successfully created and it sorted well a month ago.
So the downloaded ICU is complete and contain the right collation.
But suddenly I could not open the table because of wrong collation.
And I cannot find the difference between working firebirds on Windows 10 and Windows 2012.

Michal

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Mar 15, 2021, 11:11:47 AM3/15/21
15.03.2021 15:07, Michal Vrba wrote:
> And I cannot find the difference between working firebirds on Windows 10 and Windows 2012.

The difference is not in Firebird but in Windows. Windows 10 has built-in ICU library
that mess with Firebird's one.

--
WBR, SD.

Michal Vrba

Mar 15, 2021, 11:30:23 AM3/15/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that was it. I have installed MSVC 2019 on Win 2012 Server and sorting is now working again.
Thank you very much.

Mark Rotteveel

Mar 15, 2021, 1:20:39 PM3/15/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
That is not my experience. In what way does the Windows 10 built-in ICU
library 'mess' with Firebird?

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Mar 15, 2021, 4:04:56 PM3/15/21
15.03.2021 18:20, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
> In what way does the Windows 10 built-in ICU library 'mess' with Firebird?

As in this topic: if Firebird is installed incorrectly and cannot load own ICU library,
system one may be used producing errors different from plain "ICU library not found".

--
WBR, SD.