Firebird Auto Update?

Enrico

Feb 16, 2021, 4:04:58 AM2/16/21
to firebird-support

Hi Guys,

for a few weeks i have a problem with the Firebird Sql Server.
I have a Customer that uses the CARD1 9.1 CAD Software and every few days Firebird updates itself from Version 3.0.1 (needed for CARD1) to 3.0.6
After that CARD1 won´t work anymore untill I replace the Firebird 3.0.6 Version with the 3.0.1 Version.
Searching in the Windows Event Logs for hints didn´t help me.
And there are no Group Policies that update Firebird.

Does someone know if Firebird could update itself or something like that?
The Customer stated that it happend while he worked with CARD1, no restart or Logout in between.

Nick Upson

Feb 16, 2021, 4:31:54 AM2/16/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
If this is a unix server of some kind, it can be configured to update itself automatically for all packages
--
Nick

Mark Rotteveel

Feb 16, 2021, 5:47:52 AM2/16/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Firebird itself has no auto-update. If this is a Linux installation,
then maybe the distro automatically updates, but given you mention
Windows Event Logs, I assume that is not the case. Are you by any chance
using tools that automatically update application (there are a number of
security tools or general 'software update' tools in the market that do
this.

That said, applications that work on Firebird 3.0.1 should work fine on
higher versions (though maybe not 3.0.6, as that versions has some
connectivity issues, which is why 3.0.7 was released).

Also, Firebird 3.0.1 is pretty old by now and a lot of bugs have been
fixed since, maybe you should consider updating to 3.0.7.

Mark

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Feb 16, 2021, 5:50:15 AM2/16/21
16.02.2021 11:47, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
> That said, applications that work on Firebird 3.0.1 should work fine on higher version

There are some stupid applications that check server version for full match.

--
WBR, SD.

Enrico

Feb 16, 2021, 8:36:06 AM2/16/21
to firebird-support
Thanks for the fast replies,

to answer some Questions:

Firebird is installed on a client computer running Win10.

The CAD Software CARD1 9.1 ONLY works with Firebird 3.0.1, other versions are not supported. (Even higher versions obviously)

If there is another Firebird Version than 3.0.1 on the Computer, CARD1 will not start, dropping an error that mentions the installed Firebird version is wrong.

In addition to that we using a Tool to update our software, but not while the user uses the computer. It starts after shutdown and deploys updates for Microsoft / M365 Products and Browsers while the Win Updates getting deployed. Nothing like Firebird.

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Feb 16, 2021, 9:15:52 AM2/16/21
16.02.2021 14:36, Enrico wrote:
> The CAD Software CARD1 9.1 ONLY works with Firebird 3.0.1, other versions are not
> supported. (Even higher versions obviously)

Firebird 3.0.7 IS NOT a "higher version". It is post-release with bugfixes.
You should contact the CAD vendor to solve this.

--
WBR, SD.

Mark Rotteveel

Feb 16, 2021, 9:29:45 AM2/16/21
On 16-02-2021 14:36, Enrico wrote:
> Firebird is installed on a client computer running Win10.
>
> The CAD Software CARD1 9.1 ONLY works with Firebird 3.0.1, other
> versions are not supported. (Even higher versions obviously)
>
> If there is another Firebird Version than 3.0.1 on the Computer, CARD1
> will not start, dropping an error that mentions the installed Firebird
> version is wrong.

Sounds like a too strict version check to me, unless the program is
explicitly relying on some bug in Firebird 3.0.1, which would be a bad
idea, higher versions of Firebird 3.0 should work just fine.

> In addition to that we using a Tool to update our software, but not
> while the user uses the computer. It starts after shutdown and deploys
> updates for Microsoft / M365 Products and Browsers while the Win Updates
> getting deployed. Nothing like Firebird.

Something (or someone!) is updating Firebird on your machine, and it is
not Firebird itself, because Firebird does not have an automatic update
feature.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel