CPUAffinityMask (FB 3.07 SuperServer)

VallMad

Dec 14, 2020, 6:53:26 PM12/14/20
to firebird-support

Hello,
How to force FB 3.07 SuperServer to use all the available CPU/cores of dedicated server (2xCPU, 14 cores 28 threads per CPU, so 56 cores in total). I have tried using CPUAffinityMask but it is working up to half of the cores (28). When I set it over 28 it enables all the cores of the second node and clear all the cores of the first node. So no matter how I try I always get only one CPU (28 cores) working.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Vlad Khorsun

Dec 15, 2020, 4:53:04 PM12/15/20
to firebird-support
  Don't touch it and leave commented. Firebird used all available cores by default.
But to see it in action, you have to load it by many concurrent connections.
One connection usually can't use more than one core at the same time.

Regards,
Vlad

PS it seems FB can't correctly work with 64-bit affinity masks, looks like an old bug

VallMad

Dec 16, 2020, 3:13:53 PM12/16/20
to firebird-support
Hi Vlad,
FB307_CpuAffinityMask.png
Off course I'm testing it with lots of separate connections - not a single one.
I have tried both ways, to leave it commented and set it to 0 (zero) but still none of them working correctly.
Yes, it seems that the parameter CPUAffinityMask is les than or 32 bit so it can not address more cores (every core is a single bit).
Regards
Valentin

Carlos H. Cantu

Dec 16, 2020, 3:23:15 PM12/16/20
to VallMad
Just a guess:

It looks like only "real" cores (28) are being used, the "virtual" ones not.

Carlos
www.firebirdnews.org - www.FireBase.com.br

Hi Vlad,
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebird-support/7a01e66c-3591-4475-9d85-d6866f055102n%40googlegroups.com.

Karol Bieniaszewski

Dec 17, 2020, 1:00:44 PM12/17/20
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

I see Vlad Khorsun has commited fix for this

https://github.com/FirebirdSQL/firebird/commit/188c1c6176c63cff6eedd85806bd266352df11f0

previously it was 32 bit int flag.

You can test snapshot build

http://web.firebirdsql.org/download/snapshot_builds/win/3.0/

Regards,

Karol Bieniaszewski

FB307_CpuAffinityMask.png

VallMad

Dec 7, 2021, 12:54:26 PM12/7/21
to firebird-support
Hello,

It's me again :)

I just installed FB 3.0.8 64Bit (SuperServer) and set the CpuAffinityMask to 17777777777777 (40) Cores - decided to leave 16 cores for the OS.
Unfortunately, after the restart, FB seems to ignore this setting and keeps showing only the first node of the CPU cores (28)
Is this patch already included in 3.0.8 or it is only in FB 4.0?