Board Data Pipeline

Andrew Zenz

Jul 12, 2022, 9:43:37 PM7/12/22
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

Hi, not sure if I’m in the right forum to ask but….

A client is wanting to use Board Data Pipeline to interrogate a Firebird database.

I’m unfamiliar with the product but they want me to install a connector.

I see they have a bunch of connectors for other dbs, none for Firebird, is the JDBC connector suitable?

Has anyone had Board query their databases before, what should I be looking out for?  Any tips on creating a connection etc?

Cheers,

Andrew Zenz

Mark Rotteveel

Jul 14, 2022, 2:03:01 AM7/14/22
On 13-07-2022 03:43, Andrew Zenz wrote:
> A client is wanting to use Board Data Pipeline to interrogate a Firebird
> database.
>
> I’m unfamiliar with the product but they want me to install a connector.
>
> I see they have a bunch of connectors for other dbs, none for Firebird,
> is the JDBC connector suitable?
>
> Has anyone had Board query their databases before, what should I be
> looking out for?  Any tips on creating a connection etc?

A quick search doesn't yield results for a product called "Board Data
Pipeline". Do you have any links to documentation?

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Andrew Zenz

Jul 14, 2022, 2:07:41 AM7/14/22
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
All I have is the portal to log in to and a very brief PDF.

https://datapipeline-au.board.com/hdpui/

I have found that we do have another client that uses it but they do a ETL (Extract/Transform/Load) to a MSSQL db and they say they 'heavily shape the data' during the transform to BOARD.

I suspect this is due to no ODBC support by Board.

Cheers,

Andrew Zenz

The office is currently closed and staff are working from home. Please do not call the office.
If you need to contact any members of support, please email first to  sup...@aimsoftware.com.au

Mark Rotteveel

Jul 14, 2022, 2:15:13 AM7/14/22
On 14-07-2022 08:07, Andrew Zenz wrote:
> All I have is the portal to log in to and a very brief PDF.
>
> https://datapipeline-au.board.com/hdpui/
>
> I have found that we do have another client that uses it but they do a ETL (Extract/Transform/Load) to a MSSQL db and they say they 'heavily shape the data' during the transform to BOARD.
>
> I suspect this is due to no ODBC support by Board.

I stripped the URL to https://board.com, and the went to their support
section. This page,
https://www.boardmanual.com/2021/summer/getting-started/Welcome_to_BOARD.htm,
mentions:
"""
The Data Reader allows you to import data from text files and relational
databases, as well as any ODBC or OLE-DB compliant data source.
"""

However, their documentation doesn't seem to describe actual
configuration (though I skimmed it, so maybe I missed it, though I fear
it would be part of one of those "Under construction" pages).

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Andrew Zenz

Jul 14, 2022, 2:20:49 AM7/14/22
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mark, was hoping someone may have had experience. I did search the group for 'board' but only got 3 x hardware related topics returned.

Appreciate the effort.

Cheers,

Andrew Zenz

The office is currently closed and staff are working from home. Please do not call the office.
If you need to contact any members of support, please email first to  sup...@aimsoftware.com.au

Jul 14, 2022, 3:05:18 AM7/14/22
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
According to the Board people:

**
ODBC access is for on-premise installations.

<Client> is hosted by Board and the only access Board has to data outside of Board’s network is via the Connector and that does not have an option for ODBC.
**

So we/they are a little FUBAR without ETL to an SQL db.