Performance problems on new VPS server

Dominique Bernaert

Apr 15, 2021, 8:47:27 AM4/15/21
to firebird-support
Hello,

We have a Firebird running on our old Windows server (VPS) without problems serving several Unigui applications.

We are in the progress of migrating from the old server to a new Windows 2019 server (VPS) running in HyperServer 2019.
The new server has more memory (12 GB) and we use the same setup, but the performance is much worser than the old server.
I cannot figure out what could be the issue.
What I do see in the Windows task manager is that Firebird.exe appears in the wait chain (see screenshot).
We tried modifying the firebird configuration to classic and super classic without luck.

Does anybody have an idea about this?
The server is version 3.0.7.33374

Thank you for you help, desperately searching for a solution.

Firebird.png

Mathias Pannier (unitel)

Apr 15, 2021, 8:58:56 AM4/15/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Memory and CPU is not all. Check HDD (read/write Performance).

Can You describe in which case it is slower?

See also https://ib-aid.com/en/simple-insert-update-delete-test-for-firebird/​

Regards

Mathias

Apr 15, 2021, 2:36:23 PM4/15/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Measure the performance of your new server with simple insert update delete test

Regards,
Alexey Kovyazin
IBSurgeon

чт, 15 апр. 2021 г., 15:47 Dominique Bernaert <dberna...@gmail.com>:

Ros

Apr 16, 2021, 5:06:01 AM4/16/21
to firebird-support
I am also looking for a way to optimise the performance of a server. I want to squeeze the best of it.

There is another tool that I recently discovered: IBExpert Benchmark

The tool gives me the following results:
Drive Test: 163%
CPU Test: 153%
Thread Test: 97%

Can you recommend some articles that work on how to optimise the performance of a server?
Will 64bit installation of Firebird increase the performance?  Will increasing the cache bring any risks?

Ros

Alexey Kovyazin

Apr 16, 2021, 5:35:02 AM4/16/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ros,

The Simple Insert/Update/Delete test is an open-source, clear, and very easy-to-understand method to measure the performance, with the table and graph of results from other systems, to compare and estimate results.
It requires only isql.exe to run.
It gives results in natural measurement units, like 120 seconds to insert 1000000 records per second, with XLS to calculate the material results inserts/second, updates/second, deletes/second.
If something is not clear, I can request the author of this test, the Firebird QA engineer, to clarify it.

But if you run a proprietary closed-source test, with an artificial measurement unit in %% of something, I cannot help you, sorry.

If you are looking for general performance tuning, see the following
from

Regards,
Alexey Kovyazin
IBSurgeon