Re: What is the best Firebird database manager for Firebird Embedded???

Steve Naidamast

Jul 24, 2022, 10:34:58 AM7/24/22
to firebird-support
What do you consider to be the best database manager for managing Firebird Embedded databases?  And all versions... 2.5.x, 3.x, 4.x?

I have tried numerous database managers using suggestions from this group as well as what I could find on my own.

I have tried DB-Workbench, DBeaver, Firebird Manager, and a few others, all of which have issues with linking to the Firebird Embedded Platforms.

I have also been using IBExpert's Personal Edition but this software appears to have issues with BLOB fields.

Its as if each database manager either doesn't work or does not provide all of the features one would expect from such a tool.

Currently, I have re-installed my Firebird EMS Manager for 2.5, since I have never had an issues with it.

I had purchased their latest version of this database manager but it suffered sever issues with Firebird 2.5 and 4.x.  As a result, I am receiving a requested refund.

I have finally also installed the trial version of Firebird Mastro Database Manager, which appears to work well for the most part but has trouble with character sets for Firebird 2.5 if it did not create the 2.5 database.

I am very surprised that such an excellent database platform doesn't have good, solid Firebird database management tools.

Since the Firebird Development Group is the best position to produce such a tool, maybe they should consider providing one like the other Open Source Database Groups do so we can rely on their software alone.  I would be willing to pay for such a tool.

Until then, if anyone has any recommendations, I would very much like to hear them.

Thank you...

Steve Naidamast
Sr. Software Engineer

Karol Bieniaszewski

Jul 24, 2022, 12:58:10 PM7/24/22
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I have used free and opensource tool flamerobin for years

https://github.com/mariuz/flamerobin/tags

But never tested it with embeded.

I always work with database on the server installed. Then work with embedded from the application only.

Regards,

Karol Bieniaszewski

Ertan Küçükoglu

Jul 24, 2022, 1:13:36 PM7/24/22
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
I am using Firebird Editor Pro. A free tool.

Supports embedded as far as I know, but has to be tested. Definitely supports v2.5 up to 4.0

Still actively developed.

Sent from my iPhone

On 24 Jul 2022, at 17:35, Steve Naidamast <blackfalc...@gmail.com> wrote:

fernande...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2022, 3:22:51 AM7/25/22
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

I keep going back to Firebird EMS Manager, I tried DB-Workbench but did not have the time to fully evaluate it. Like you I need something that can handle blob fields correctly.

Steve Naidamast

Jul 25, 2022, 11:09:30 AM7/25/22
to firebird-support
Thank you all for your suggestions.

As I had mentioned, I reinstalled my 5.x version of Firebird EMS Manager, which can handle 2.5.x and 3.x Firebird databases just fine.  However, their latest version 6.0.x, is a complete mess and cannot seem to maintain the proper connections between databases and has serious issues with 4.x databases.

Right now I will just have to stick to my 5.x EMS Manager and IBExpert's Personal Edition for 4.x database files.  Firebird Maestro appears to work well with all versions of Firebird but right now I am not keen on shelling out any monies on the software.

However, I am going to give Firebird Editor a try to see how it works.

Again, thank you all for your notes.  They are very much appreciated...  :-)

Steve Naidamast
Sr. Software Engineer

Steve Naidamast

Jul 25, 2022, 11:19:31 AM7/25/22
to firebird-support
I just tested Firebird Editor Pro against a 4.x and a 2.5.x database and it seems to work very nicely.

I was able to also export a table that contained a BLOB field and the data appeared to export as expected.

So far it seems like a very nice product...   :-)

Steve Naidamast
Sr. Software Engineer

Stanislav Hruška

Jul 26, 2022, 12:41:58 AM7/26/22
to firebird-support
Please can you give a link here to try. I found more addresses on the Internet. Thanks.

Dátum: pondelok 25. júla 2022, čas: 17:19:31 UTC+2, odosielateľ: blackfalc...@gmail.com

Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions)

Jul 26, 2022, 3:01:43 AM7/26/22
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

When developing, I would advise against using Embedded and go for full server, use Embedded for deployment.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
https://www.upscene.com

Database Workbench - developer tool for Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, InterBase, NexusDB and Firebird.