FB4 Windows XP problem

Hugo Larson

Jun 4, 2021, 3:11:58 AM6/4/21
to Firebird-support
Hi,

gsec -user SYSDBA -database security.db

use gsec -? to get help
Error loading plugin Engine13
Module c:\FB4\plugins/Engine13 exists but can not be loaded
The specified procedure could not be found.
unable to open database

firebird.log
WINXPIE-1037 Fri Jun  4 08:43:59 2021
setsockopt: error setting IPV6_V6ONLY to 0

Frank Schlottmann-Gödde

Jun 4, 2021, 3:24:59 AM6/4/21
to 'Hugo Larson' via firebird-support
Am 04.06.21 um 09:11 schrieb 'Hugo Larson' via firebird-support:
Hi,
gsec -user SYSDBA -database security.db
use gsec -? to get helpError loading plugin Engine13Module c:\FB4\plugins/Engine13 exists but can not be loadedThe specified procedure could not be found.unable to open database
firebird.logWINXPIE-1037 Fri Jun  4 08:43:59 2021 setsockopt: error setting IPV6_V6ONLY to 0

There where an extended network packet for windows xp, that could be activated by
netsh interface ipv6 install

see https://sites.google.com/site/jrey42/Home/ipv6/winxp
maybe that helps, but I would recommend to quit using windows xp as soon as possible.

mit freundlichen Grüßen
Frank Schlottmann-Gödde

--
Oldenburger Str. 34, 23743 Grömitz, Tel.: 04562/266984

Hugo Larson

Jun 4, 2021, 3:29:05 AM6/4/21
to 'Hugo Larson' via firebird-support
Hi,

Thanks but it did not help.

We still have many customers using Windows POSREADY  XP which is still supported.

.

Rustam

Jun 4, 2021, 3:54:17 AM6/4/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
If FB 2.5 satisfy your existing needs, then migrating to FB 3 i think would be enough for next few years.

em...@tot-consult.com

Jun 4, 2021, 4:51:42 AM6/4/21
to firebird-support
The message "exists but cannot be loaded" suggest an issue with the bitness - 32-bit process trying to load 64-bit library or vice versa.

Hugo Larson

Jun 4, 2021, 5:14:46 AM6/4/21
to firebird-support
It is the 32 bit version. The service installs fine but when I try connect with isql the error is shown.

The 64 bit version wont install at all.

//Hugo

em...@tot-consult.com

Jun 4, 2021, 5:20:54 AM6/4/21
to firebird-support
Then there might be some dependencies missing, like the C runtime libraries. There was a tool from sysinternals that could show what dll's are attempted to be loaded, but I've forgotten which one it was.

Mark Rotteveel

Jun 4, 2021, 7:13:17 AM6/4/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
As far as I'm aware, Firebird 4 is not compiled with Windows XP
compatibility, which means it might use Windows APIs not available on
Windows XP.

Mark

Hugo Larson

Jun 5, 2021, 5:16:35 AM6/5/21
to firebird-support
I successfully installed Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable on XP 32 bit, which should be only dependency but still same error.

What else could it be? 32 bit software should work on XP.

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jun 5, 2021, 5:44:31 AM6/5/21
05.06.2021 11:16, 'Hugo Larson' via firebird-support wrote:
> What else could it be? 32 bit software should work on XP.

Write a little program that just load Endine13.dll and show you a real error. You also
can try to use rundll32 or instsvc for that.

--
WBR, SD.

Hugo Larson

Jun 5, 2021, 6:48:20 AM6/5/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Running the command : rundll32 engine13.dll
Does not return any result.

I'm using the debug version of Firebird 4

Not sure what you mean with instsvc but I guess it installs and run the service:

instreg version WI-V4.0.0.2496 Firebird 4.0
Firebird has been successfully installed in the registry.
instsvc version WI-V4.0.0.2496 Firebird 4.0
Service "Firebird Server - DefaultInstance" successfully created.
Service "Firebird Server - DefaultInstance" successfully started.
It start fine.

SQL> connect security.db user SYSDBA; Database: security.db, User: SYSDBA

Statement failed, SQLSTATE = 39000
Error loading plugin Engine13
-Module C:\FB4-deb\Firebird-4.0.0.2496-1-Win32-pdb\plugins/Engine13 exists but can not be loaded
-The specified procedure could not be found.

//Hugo

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebird-support/c8621390-6a7d-70f1-a88e-326fb7068a9b%40ibphoenix.com.

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jun 5, 2021, 6:51:53 AM6/5/21
05.06.2021 12:48, 'Hugo Larson' via firebird-support wrote:
> Not sure what you mean with *instsvc*

I'm sorry, I meant regsvr32.

--
WBR, SD.

Hugo Larson

Jun 5, 2021, 7:06:59 AM6/5/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Inline image

We have some 100 computers running Window Posready XP and we would  really like to use FB4 with all it's nice new features.

Thanks,
Hugo

--
  WBR, SD.

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jun 5, 2021, 7:12:45 AM6/5/21
05.06.2021 13:06, 'Hugo Larson' via firebird-support wrote:
> We have some 100 computers running Window Posready XP and we would  really like to use FB4
> with all it's nice new features.

Firebird client should work on WinXP. For server you can use Linux.

--
WBR, SD.

Hugo Larson

Jun 5, 2021, 9:29:23 AM6/5/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
FB is part of a software running independently on XP computers.

--
  WBR, SD.

Tomasz Tyrakowski

Jun 5, 2021, 9:48:52 AM6/5/21
On 05.06.2021 at 11:16, 'Hugo Larson' via firebird-support wrote:
> I successfully installed Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable on XP 32 bit, which should be only dependency but still same error.
>
> What else could it be? 32 bit software should work on XP.

Being 32-bit is not sufficient to guarantee it can run on XP. Much
depends on which libraries an exe or a dll is linked against.
Looking at engine13.dll in PEInfo
(http://www.pazera-software.pl/products/peinfo/ [disclaimer: I don't
have anything to do with pazera-software.pl, I just happen to use this
free tool from time to time]), the imports section lists the following
dlls: kernel32.dll, advapi32.dll, shell32.dll, ws2_32.dll, fbclient.dll,
msvcp140.dll, vcruntime140.dll, mpr.dll, user32.dll, ole32.dll.
Either some of them are missing in XP, or they are incompatible (i.e.
don't contain a function, wchich engine13.dll tries to resolve and execute).
I don't think you can do much about it - except VC runtime they're all
system libraries.

cheers
Tomasz

________________________________

Ta wiadomość zawiera poufne informacje przeznaczone tylko dla adresata. Jeżeli nie jesteście Państwo jej adresatem, bądź otrzymaliście ją przez pomyłkę, prosimy o powiadomienie o tym nadawcy oraz trwałe jej usunięcie.

Hugo Larson

Jun 6, 2021, 1:06:44 AM6/6/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Tomasz,
I checked and all these DLL exists in my  Windows XP  installation.

BR, Hugo

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebird-support/b6412f20-635d-a103-9443-5746b280c0ba%40sol-system.pl.

Tomasz Tyrakowski

Jun 6, 2021, 6:47:05 AM6/6/21
On 06.06.2021 at 07:06, 'Hugo Larson' via firebird-support wrote:
> Tomasz,
> I checked and all these DLL exists in my Windows XP installation.

Fortunately, I dug out one of my old XP VM images and was able to do
some sniffing around with ProcMon from sysinternals (version 3.10, which
works on XP, is still available from webarchive).
It turns out vcruntime140.dll is to blame. It tries do load a DLL named
api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll (from a couple of default locations).
This dll is not present in XP by default. I've got this DLL in my Win10
machine, but this is my dev machine, with full Visual Studio and Win10
SDK installation, so that's no proof, it is still possible this DLL
would be missing in a fresh install of Win10, so in fact the same
problem actually may occur in other versions of Windows as well. I've
checked a few Win10 machines at my disposal and they all contain this
DLL, but none of them is a "fresh install" - it might have been
installed with other software.
Since vcruntime140.dll is a part of Visual C++ Runtime for Visual Studio
2015, I downloaded and installed VC redist 2015 package
(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145) in my
XP VM and it seemed it solved the problem. I was able to run FB instance
via firebird -a (the tray icon appeared and I was able to check the
server version). However, I was not able to create a new database from
isql, nor to use gbak to restore the db from a backup (in both cases
getting an error message saying "this function is not supported by this
version of the operating system"). However, that might have been caused
by some FB4 misconfiguration on my side (or, to be honest, a total lack
of such - I just unpacked the FB4 32-bit zip archive and started to play
with it).
So, my advice is: install VC++ 2015 runtime, install and configure FB4
according to the manual, and test if it works. It kind of partially
worked for me ;), but this error message about system version doesn't
look good.
Or maybe just stick with your current version of FB on XP (it won't stop
working, will it?) and migrate after your legacy XP users finally upgrade.
If someone could verify if api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is present
in Win10 by default, it would be nice to know. If it doesn't, it might
be necessary to install VC2015 redist package together with FB4 to run
the server (regardless of the Windows version).
Sorry my letter ended up so long, I was kind of "writing while doing" :)

regards
Tomasz

p.s. Apart from api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll, vcruntime140.dll has
a bunch of other api-ms-win-crt-xxx-l1-1-0.dll dependencies (xxx =
string, heap, stdio, convert, math, time, utility, filesystem, environment).

Hugo Larson

Jun 7, 2021, 2:07:31 AM6/7/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Please tell me if you could connect to EMPLOYEE.FDB  with isql  or other software, such as flamerobin on your XP machine.

Thanks, Hugo

Tomasz Tyrakowski

Jun 7, 2021, 3:14:23 AM6/7/21
On 07.06.2021 at 08:07, 'Hugo Larson' via firebird-support wrote:
> Please tell me if you could connect to EMPLOYEE.FDB with isql or other software, such as flamerobin on your XP machine.

No I could not. I was able to start the server (in application mode, via
firebird -a) and check the server version / properties via the tray icon.
All attempts to connect to a database or to restore a backup ended in an
error message I mentioned before (about a function not available in this
version of the OS). But, like I said, I just unzipped the installation
archive and run the server without doing any configuration. I can try to
tune some params in firebird.conf, e.g. turn off wire encryption, use
legacy_auth by default etc. and see what happens.
Have you tried installing the full VC2015 redist package? What stage are
you currently at? Have you been able at least to start the FB server?

cheers
Tomasz

Hugo Larson

Jun 7, 2021, 4:00:30 AM6/7/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
AuthServer = Srp256, Srp, Legacy_Auth
UserManager = Srp, Legacy_UserManager
WireCrypt = Disabled

isql

connect security.db user SYSDBA; Database: security.db, User: SYSDBA
Statement failed, SQLSTATE = 39000
Error loading plugin Engine13
-Module c:\FB4\plugins/Engine13 exists but can not be loaded
-The specified procedure could not be found.

Tomasz Tyrakowski

Jun 7, 2021, 1:54:17 PM6/7/21
On 07.06.2021 at 10:00, 'Hugo Larson' via firebird-support wrote:
> AuthServer = Srp256, Srp, Legacy_AuthUserManager = Srp, Legacy_UserManagerWireCrypt = Disabled
> isql
> connect security.db user SYSDBA; Database: security.db, User: SYSDBA
>
> Statement failed, SQLSTATE = 39000Error loading plugin Engine13-Module c:\FB4\plugins/Engine13 exists but can not be loaded-The specified procedure could not be found.

Tough luck. I've tried different settings in firebird.conf, but it seems
that while the server process itself can be started and is listening on
a socket, any operation requiring actual access to a database (which in
turn makes the server process load engine13.dll) fails. Neither of isql,
gbak, gsec works. isql and gbak show an error saying "this function is
not supported in this system" (I get the message in Polish, so it's
probably a Windows localized error message, not FB's), while gsec shows
the same message as yours: error loading plugin ..., the specified
procedure could not be found. But again, the part "the specified
procedure could not be found" is displayed in Polish (the rest in
English), so I assume it comes from the OS, not from FB.
I think it's time to give up. The only possibility I can think of is
trying to compile FB4 from sources on XP, but I've got neither tools,
nor motivation to do that (if you can somehow get and install VS2015 -
maybe there's a free community edition) and you really need FB4 on XP
that badly, you can give it a shot.

Vlad Khorsun

Sep 15, 2021, 4:00:27 AM9/15/21
to firebird-support
 Hugo, Mark and All

  Firebird uses XP-compatible toolset when build for Win32 with MSVC. While I can't promise it
will be kept at next release (we need to use new Win API), it is still actual for both fb3 and fb4.

  I've restored broken compatibility of 32-bit builds FB4 with WinXP, try next snapshot build, please.
Note,  you'll need replace ICU 63 that included into FB4 as it is not supported WinXP. Latest ICU
version that supports WinXP is ICU 58.

Regards,
Vlad

Hugo Larson