FB4 RC1 Remote Interface Improvements

Eric Guéguiniat

May 3, 2021, 4:55:40 AM5/3/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I need to increase performances of my application for local network.
I have good performances with local connection.

I optimized the queries and I don't have BLOB in the selects.
When I use wireshark to see tcp traffic, I see that firebird is very verbose.
In FB 2.1 TCP roundtrips were improved and I wonder if FB4 have an improvement about this.

In my first observations the TCP roundtrips seems to be the same between FB3 and FB4.

What can I do to reduce roundtrips, Is there a particular setting to improve performances ?

Thank you
Eric

Mark Rotteveel

May 3, 2021, 5:02:44 AM5/3/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Not much, make sure you use zlib to reduce payload size (also applies to
Firebird 3). This requires that fbclient.dll can load the zlib1.dll,
which in a default installation is *not* the case.

If you do a lot of bulk updates/inserts, switching to the batch API
might give some improvement for those operations. Other than that, there
were - as far as I recall - no protocol changes to reduce chattiness in
the protocol.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Dimitry Sibiryakov

May 3, 2021, 5:45:33 AM5/3/21
03.05.2021 10:55, Eric Guéguiniat wrote:
> What can I do to reduce roundtrips, Is there a particular setting to improve performances ?

Don't do needless API calls because basically one API call == one roundtrip.

--
WBR, SD.